PDA

View Full Version : SMR / Beckett Guide for vintage cards

skelly
07-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Am I the only one who has a hard time understanding how/why no major guide/publication has put together anything for vintage soccer. I understand there are some very obscure sets that get very little interest here in America, but nothing for all the A&BC British soccer sets from the 60's & 70's? I wish the SMR would at least report sales for graded vintage soccer. Heck, I would be happy to head it up. Who should I talk to at SMR? Would Joe Orlando return an email? I don't posses many soccer cards, really just a couple George Best and Pele Cards. I just want to see the sport get its due. Heck, If we can track prices for non-sports and Nascar, we should be able to bring vintage soccer out of the closet a little.

esehombre
07-17-2012, 02:39 PM
I think you bring up some excellent points. I wondered this myself when i started collecting vintage about 2 years ago. A lot of people had checklists and i even had a guy send a pseudo price guide but nothing substantial and certainly nothing including the top shelf turn of the century players. Inherently, there are many hurdles to this and i am certainly no expert, but many of the sales that i have been a part of are collector to collector. The greater percentage of my collection has been obtained via this method. I have not seen a lot of sales of vintage graded soccer in auctions or at trade shows. Just very difficult to track--also, many of the vintage sets are part of a larger multi-sport set (boxing, cricket, even some olympic players).
Although I am certain it is much smaller than baseball, I am not sure what the collecting base is for vintage soccer. With that being said, i have a tracker that i keep (both checklist and purchases) and would love to see something like this come to fruition. I would be willing to lend a hand in any way possible and if you would like to talk feel free to drop me a line anytime.

Noel

Copa7
07-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I am on the brink of finishing a NORTH AMERICAN SOCCER CARD GUIDE.

(over 200 sets will be listed)

I hope to have it available through AMAZON by September 15th.

Once that hits the market, we will follow up with a vintage international guide.

If you have any questions, or wish to pre-order, let me know.

Thanks

Ray Van
07-20-2012, 08:41 PM
I for one am very interested in the price guide. Sign me up!

Ray

esehombre
07-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I 2nd that--sign me up as well!

Ray Van
09-19-2012, 05:02 PM
So is the North American Soccer Card Guide ready to go? :)