PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Magazine Premiums Questions

glchen
07-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know how the premiums for Baseball Magazine were distributed? These are the really large ones that are roughly 9"X12", and not the inside cover pages of the magazines. Were these premiums inserted into the magazines so that every magazine for that issue had one of them or do readers have to send out for them via mail to request them? I have seen many different types of these premiums so wanted to determine some rough level of scarcity for them if it were possible. I've attached a picture of one such premium, which I do not own.

Leon
07-16-2012, 02:22 PM
here ya go...though I guess I am not sure this is how they were distributed it's at least something :).

http://luckeycards.com/poadvertisement1913baseballmagazine.jpg

http://luckeycards.com/poadvertisement1913baseballmagazine2.jpg

bcbgcbrcb
07-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Gary:

The M114's & earlier M113's are an issue that I personally like very much. There are a number of these that pre-date player's rookie cards based on the date of first issue. Rookie-wise the problem with these is that they were distributed over a number of years (until supplies ran out I guess) so many collectors don't accept them as Rookie pieces since they continued to be distributed for years after they would have qualified as Rookies.

doug.goodman
07-16-2012, 03:58 PM
They were mailed. Either in envelopes or tubes (for the larger ones).

I have a large collection (nearly 700 hundred) and am always looking for more.

Doug

glchen
07-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the information, everyone. Is there a checklist, perhaps in the Standard Catalog? Thanks again.

bcbgcbrcb
07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
Yes, Gary checklist is in SCBC.

doug.goodman
07-16-2012, 04:50 PM
There is a checklist in the standard catalog, but as you start collecting this issue you will find that the catalog is far from complete, with variations or unlisted premiums for everybody from Ty Cobb to David Ferriss.

I believe that the catalog was compiled from advertisements of available premiums. I also believe that a complete and accurate list of all premiums does not exist.

My list, which began as the SC list, currently has 857 different premiums, and growing.

As an example, today I picked up a different Bobby Avila from the one I already had, and he was only listed once.

Doug

FrankWakefield
07-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Dittos to what's above. And my understanding is that not all of the premiums listed in the ads in the magazine were actually distributed. Once I started copying the ads from the Baseball Magazines, I had access to most of them. And then an old collector assured me that I couldn't create an accurate list of premiums by basing it on the ads. That a few were advertised and never distributed. Daunting. I'm a fan of the Standard Catalog, I doubt that their list is 100% accurate, but I suspect that it is closer to reality than most lists.

As I understand, a fellow could send money and a list of the premiums wanted, then BM would mail you back a bunch of premiums, mostly of what you wanted, but not always exactly.

drc
07-16-2012, 06:36 PM
I won a bunch of the Baseball Magazine Premiums with the original large mailing envelope included.

doug.goodman
07-17-2012, 02:01 AM
I'm a fan of the Standard Catalog, I doubt that their list is 100% accurate, but I suspect that it is closer to reality than most lists.

I agree

FrankWakefield
07-22-2012, 01:39 PM
I think this might have been the first ad for what we consider M113's...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/greatwake/BaseballMagazineMay1912p111.jpg

doug.goodman
07-24-2012, 12:42 AM
I have been going thru my M114s, and am wondering if anybody has seen any of the following issues :

Adcock, Joe
Arnovich, Morrie
Arroyo, Luis
Bailey, Ed
Banks, Ernie
Boyer, Ken
Brewer, Tony
Buhl, Bob
Cicotte, Ed
Cochrane, Mickey
Conley, Gene
Coveleski, Stan
Crandell, Del
Fletcher, Art
Fox, Nellie
Friend, Bob
Greengrass, Jim
Hamner, Granny
Hemus, Solly
Jackson, Travis
Kaline, Al
Keegan, Bob
Kinder, Ellis
Klein, Chuck
Kucks, Johnny
Kuenn, Harvey
Labine, Clem
Larsen, Don
Law, Vern
Lawrence, Brooks
Lemon, Jim
Lewis, Duffy
Lindstrom, Fred
Lollar, Sherman
Mails, Duster
Mantle, Mickey
Maxwell, Charlie
McCormick, Mike
Medwick, Ducky
Miranda, Willie
Moore, Ray
Mungo, Van Lingo
Naragon, Hal
Nichols, Chet
Pendleton, Jim
Piersall, Jimmy
Portocarrero, Arnie
Repulski, Rip
Robinson, Frank
Roush, Ed
Rush, Bob
Score, Herb
Smith, Earl
Staley, Gerry
Stephens, Gene
Temple, Johnny
Terriss, Boo
Trucks, Virgil
Waitkus, Eddie
Walker, Gee
Weatherly, Roy
Wilson, Hack
Wilson, Jim
Young, Norm Babe
Zarilla, Al

I am interested in acquiring any of these that you may have (either via purchase or trade), but more importantly, I would like to figure out if they actually exist.

Thanx for the help,
Doug