PDA

View Full Version : Stan Musial...Interesting find on eBay...

jgmp123
07-15-2012, 11:25 AM
Hey guys,

So I was doing some comparison on some Stan Musial Signatures and came across something on eBay that could be pretty scary if it landed in the wrong persons hands...

This guy is selling a bunch of Stan Musial Signed COA's...If you click on the Certificate you will see that it reads..."The Certifies that this item personally autographed by Stan Musial is authentic". It then has his signature...

Anyone could throw this COA with a forged jersey, bat, ball, etc. and triple there money.....

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUTHENTIC-STAN-THE-MAN-MUSIAL-AUTOGRAPHED-HAND-SIGNED-LETTERHEAD-C-O-A-/150856692453?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231fc272e5

Mr. Zipper
07-15-2012, 11:38 AM
I see one open now with 7 sold thus far.

Technically, this is a violation of eBay rules that prohibit the sale of "blank" COAs.

The seller should have marked them somehow so they could not be attached to an item down the road.

jgmp123
07-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Selling fairly low too, considering what they could cost a future buyer if in the wrong hands...

drc
07-15-2012, 11:53 AM
I agree he should have put some text on the LOA somewhere. However, I can see how an honest collector would want it as an interesting Musial signed document.

I had a Musial signed photo with his signed LOA. It came with a Mike Gutierrez LOA mentioning both the sig on the photo and on the LOA. The humor was not lost on me that I had a LOA for an LOA.

In my case the Musial photo was custom made for Musial and said so on the photo, so it could be identified that photo was from him.

jgmp123
07-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I agree he should have put some text on the LOA somewhere. However, I can also see how an honest collector would want it as a Musial signed document.

I had a Musial signed photo with his signed LOA. It came with a Mike Gutierrez LOA mentioning both the sig on the photo and on the LOA. The satire was not lost on me that I had a LOA for an LOA.

In my case the Musial photo was custom made for Musial and said so on the photo, so it could be identified that photo was from him.

You still have to think of the ramifications of selling an item like this...You could easily add this COA to a forged signature on a jersey and a buyer wouldn't think twice about bidding...

drc
07-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I agree. I think if they are sold a bold 'Void' or even clearer text should be printed on the COA. If folks here think they should not be sold at all, and the owner can cut out the signatures, throw away the rest and sell Musial cuts-- I won't argue.

Now if someone on Net54 keeps the images of the LOAs and copies of the auctions, we can see if they pop up in the future.

If they are sold as is and the hobby knows they are around, it can be a problem for collectors who have legitimate Stan the Man signed items, as some people will wonder aloud about the LOAs.

travrosty
07-15-2012, 12:20 PM
as a buyer, you cant rely on a coa like this, since it is generic, and does not mention the item nor show a picture of it.

a person could buy a lower priced legit musial item with a coa like this, then take the coa and attach it to a non legit musial item of higher price, and make money.

even if you bought a musial signed ball and it came with an loa like this, if you attach the loa to a bad ball, you now have two balls, as the real one is still real and doesnt need the coa. only a bad item needs the generic coa.

drc
07-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Travis makes a good point. A generic COA was a bad idea in the first place.

jgmp123
07-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Completely agree with using the signature as a cut...I just don't see eBay as the place to be selling it as a COA...should be sold as cut signature...none the less, I just wanted to make sure it was brought up...a lot of non-experts here (myself included) that might want to be aware if they came across an item in the future that was attached to a generic COA. :D

HOF Auto Rookies
07-16-2012, 02:51 PM
I've gone through Stan The Man a few times to get items signed. I don't know how old this is, but he usually has a COA about the size of the PSA/JSA/GAI (with Gutierrez) with a tamper proof seal numbered, and they would affix that to the item he signed as well with the matching number.

travrosty
07-16-2012, 03:15 PM
I have seen a bill russell coa put up on ebay, it came with a psa full loa.

so an loa for an loa. sigh

russell would sign his loa's himself, with his full name william russell, so people buying a russell signed item from rich altman would get two signatures, try to sell the signed loa to recoup some of their money.

mighty bombjack
07-16-2012, 10:23 PM
so an loa for an loa. sigh.

that's funny!

Reminds me of the dude in Florida who was selling Ruth auto'd balls with fake PSA/DNA certs. Clearly there is a need to start a business that can verify that the TPAs themselves are indeed legit! We can slab the LOAs, offer Quick Opinions and auctions letters and everything!

jgmp123
07-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Looks like the COA has now been pulled...