PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rid of '70s-90s Cards: Ideas?

GregMitch34
07-14-2012, 09:22 AM
You're a pre-war collector only now but probably many of us have a box of formerly desirable cards that we collected long ago from the 1970s to early 1990s, mainly HOFers or big stars from that era--Ozzie Smith, Johnny Bench, Roger Clemens, Rod Carew etc.--probably in good shape (EX or better), definitely not graded. Of course, they have plunged in value in recent years, raising the question: are they worth ANYTHING now? Or if they are, how to get something for them (with eBay not a good option)? At auction houses you may face prospect of them being put in a giant lot where you might get 50 cents each.

Ideas on how to proceed? Or just suck it up?

travrosty
07-14-2012, 09:25 AM
there's too much product and not enough interest. it's suck it up time.

smotan_02
07-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Pull out the HOF and rookie cards and bundle them together. Put the rest in team sets. Sell them on the BST on here and the CU forum. Target auto collectors. Definitely price them low.

Howe’s Hunter
07-14-2012, 09:41 AM
I had a complete run of Topps sets 1972-2010. First three years I put together myself a 10 cent pack at a time (throwing away the dupes) and everything from 75-86, I bought from dealers who put the sets together. From there on out, bought the Topps boxes at Walmart, Target, etc. Decided I needed to focus a couple years ago and use the funds for what I wanted now. Contacted JustCollect, and they made an offer. Only downside was I thought the offer was for the offer, plus postage. Spent almost $300 to send all those boxes from Nebraska to New Jersey via UPS.

rainier2004
07-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Go thru and keep the ones you want. Donate the remaining cards to a local librarian who will use them as prizes for children in reading programs. The only rule is that the cards belong to the children to be played with. In the short run you're giving back and in the long run you are protecting your current investment by bringing new people into the hobby...thats what I did w/ about 20k cards. They are also happy to take all your extra top loaders and extra storage materials received thru the mail.

David W
07-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Ebay is your best option, probably only the 70's, maybe early 80's cards will sell easily. Bundle the HOF from each year together starting at 99 cents, bundle 100 or more commons starting at 99 cents.

If no Ebay, yard sale.

If neither option is any good, donate to Good Will or other non profit and take full "Book Value" as a tax deduction

pclpads
07-14-2012, 10:24 AM
If neither option is any good, donate to Good Will or other non profit and take full "Book Value" as a tax deduction[/QUOTE]

+1

AndyG09
07-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Find a local elementary school where you can donate them. Teachers can give them away as incentives. Believe it or not, a few kids out there will really appreciate them. Works great for me in my classroom!

Best,

Andy

smotan_02
07-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Find a local elementary school where you can donate them. Teachers can give them away as incentives. Believe it or not, a few kids out there will really appreciate them. Works great for me in my classroom!

Best,

Andy

I take back my recommendation and add support to this one. A great way to build the future of the hobby.

Buythatcard
07-14-2012, 10:54 AM
I donated over 50,000 cards that I had from that time period to the Children's cancer ward of a local hospital. Had a friend at one time who was a doctor there and he handed them out to the kids.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Sounds like a good idea to donate, I may do that to clear up space

Jay Wolt
07-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Over the last 2 decades I've donated hundreds of thousands of cards to Veterans hospitals, Salvation Army, Marines Toys for Tots, schools etc...
It clears up my space and may make a child or a veteran smile

birdman42
07-14-2012, 01:31 PM
donate

That sounds better than my idea, which was to hire a small plane, fly over a Little League tournament, and dump 'em out the door.

z28jd
07-14-2012, 01:56 PM
I wish everyone with 1987 Topps cards, except me of course, would just get together and burn them in a huge pile. That would definitely put a smile on my face, see ---> :D

jcmtiger
07-14-2012, 09:34 PM
I think we all have been there!!!!

Joe

npa589
07-14-2012, 09:56 PM

Best,

Andy

+1

I dont have many pre 1990, as I'm not old enough, but have over 10000 baseball, basketball, and football cards from 1988 to 2000.
I'm also an elementary music teacher of 3 years now, going on 4, and I have gradually brought ALL of those cards to school as incentives. I also give stacks to certain classroom teachers to give out. I teach in an inner-city school with kids who see the cards and are absolutely enthralled with them - even baseball. It has surprisingly been the impetus for many of the kids in my school to become interested in baseball.

1. It shows that there are rewards for hard work. 2. Provides them the same thrill we had as kids when our Pops would be telling us baseball stories while buying us a pack of cards.

As a treat, I brought in a couple T206 Cubs cards to show them what cards looked like 100 years ago. They were dumbfounded!

GregMitch34
07-15-2012, 12:45 AM
I don't have thousands of such cards, as some do. I was merely asking what to do if you have a few dozen HOFers from 70s and 80s and would like to get a little something for them, if possible.

goudey1933
07-15-2012, 07:14 PM
Maybe I missed it but how early of 70's?

dherm360
07-15-2012, 07:18 PM
I don't have thousands of such cards, as some do. I was merely asking what to do if you have a few dozen HOFers from 70s and 80s and would like to get a little something for them, if possible.

If you are not looking to donate, get a list together and throw them on the BST and see what you can get

jbbama
07-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Personally, i like to put 10-15 cards in team bags and pass them out at Halloween. Kids usually like the idea, no one really does that anymore (i remember getting topps football packs), the novelty of it usually is the cool factor. My cards were mostly commons.........kids didn't seem to care. :)

T206Collector
07-16-2012, 08:14 AM
I wish everyone with 1987 Topps cards, except me of course, would just get together and burn them in a huge pile. That would definitely put a smile on my face, see ---> :D

I just love 1987 Topps. Always have. It was my first real set that I collected. I keep a 1987 Topps Mattingly on my desk at work.

WhenItWasAHobby
07-16-2012, 06:12 PM
This thread reminds me of a variation of an old joke.

Which one of the four don't belong:

1. AIDs

2. Herpes

3. Gonorrhea

4. '70s - 90s Baseball Cards

The answer is C: Gonorrhea - because you can get rid of it.

z28jd
07-16-2012, 09:29 PM
I just love 1987 Topps. Always have. It was my first real set that I collected. I keep a 1987 Topps Mattingly on my desk at work.

It is a great set and at the time I couldn't get enough of the Topps all-rookie team. That year was actually my favorite of the time when I collected the most(82-93). Loved the Donruss and Fleer sets from that year too. It was actually the first set I put together, last card I needed was Teddy Higuera. It's one of those baseball card things where the set has very little actual value but try buying my first set I put together by packs, guarantee you wouldn't like that price on it!