PDA

View Full Version : 1952 Topps Pafko on Auction Kings

vintagetoppsguy
07-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Forgive me if this has been discussed here before, but I was watching an episode of Auction Kings tonight and someone brought in a 1952 Topps Andy Pafko SGC 20 (1.5) that he was hoping to get $500 for. They brought in an "expert" Tony Cocchi (sp?) that estimated the card at $400. The card ended up selling for $650. VCP is only $137. The buyer said, "You don't see them certified like this and I just had to have it.” What a moron!

Volod
07-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Know what you mean, but the standard wisdom in the biz is that something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. But, you're right - a professional buyer should have access to price guides and exercise some reasonable judgement.

ALR-bishop
07-13-2012, 08:24 AM
...or certifiable.

Of course I have never overpaid for a card myself :-{}

Tomman1961
07-13-2012, 05:23 PM
I saw the episode also. The card was described as "rare", and "the first card Topps ever made". My wife kept telling me to stop sreaming at the TV.

Volod
07-13-2012, 07:23 PM
I've found that if you scream loudly enough at the tv on a regular basis, the neighbors look at you funny when you go out to pick up your paper.;)

ALR-bishop
07-13-2012, 09:15 PM
"card" may be the key. So what do we "experts" say is the first card Topps ever made?

CobbSpikedMe
07-13-2012, 10:05 PM
I asked this on the main board but nobody responded so I'll try it in this post.

Isn't the Pafko only a condition rarity and not actual rare at all? And isn't it only worth big bucks if it's in high grade, which this card obviously was not.

Thanks a lot,

AndyH

ALR-bishop
07-14-2012, 05:52 AM
I think it is a condition sensitive value card that is not scarce but has also become an iconic card in the hobby that sells for higher prices in even lower grade than other non high number cards in the set

toppcat
07-14-2012, 07:18 AM
I think it is a condition sensitive value card that is not scarce but has also become an iconic card in the hobby that sells for higher prices in even lower grade than other non high number cards in the set

Yup-there is a definite ripple effect with this card.

ALR-bishop
07-14-2012, 08:02 AM
Plus some do view it as the first card of the first Topps set, discounting the 5 sets from 51 and the 48 subset as not real baseball sets. If someone who can't take on building the set or even the low numbers, but wants one card, I would bet the Pakfo becomes the card to have

alanu
07-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Just because the card is #1 in the set doesn't necessarily mean it was the first card ever made since it was part of a sheet printed at the same time.

Brianruns10
07-14-2012, 10:41 PM
And all this talk of rarity is a huge misunderstanding of the Pafko. It's not a rare card in and of itself. It's a conditional rarity. And while cards at the PSA 5 level and up I'd say warrant their value, frankly cards graded lower are badly overpriced. I think it's benefited from the same aura that surrounds the Mantle. All logic says the Mantle card should be far, far lower in value, but because enough people believe they are rare and valuable, they then become valuable. The lie becomes a truth.

theseeker
07-15-2012, 03:26 AM
In the collecting realm, it is all about supply RELATIVE to demand. All sorts of cards that are far more rare and similar in condition to the 1952 Topps Pafko and/or Mantle, sell for and are valued at lower price levels.

On the otherhand, high demand and the hype that surrounds it, leads to many over-zealous purchases and that IS reflected in the overall cost of any high demand collectable.

This was a classic example.