PDA

View Full Version : T206 color variation

drumback
07-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Any idea what was done wrong to come up with this combination of colors?

obcmac
07-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Looks like a fake to me...

atx840
07-12-2012, 11:48 AM
How is the back? There are several odd looking examples out there that have chemical or glue damage to the back that seems to change the front ink.

painthistorian
07-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Hi- we sold the card to "Drumback". We have guaranteed this card should be able to grade as authentic by PSA or SGC or you can return card for full refund + return shipping...The back is 100% authentic...I cannot swear card was never previously chemically treated in the past as the card was bought raw in a large lot of T206's. HOWEVER....It does not appear that the other parts of card were affected by any chemicals, as this would affect the entire card such as a bleaching agent. We are positive this card will grade as at least authentic or possibly numerically or your money back, no questions asked. If you need up to 30 days to verify with PSA or SGC, you got it...there is a clear back scan from listing you should also have posted...

We have been in the hobby for 35+ years, I have handled many T206's...the back is authentic, we also have used loupe and examined dot matrix, it is NOT uniform and is similar to any vintage T206 we have handled.

We will ship you and you can get this verified, no risk.

drumback
07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
I purchased this card on eBay this morning. I have seen plenty of the chemical treated T206 cards, even owned a couple, and feel like I can identify one when I see one. The scans look good to me, in other words, I don't see anything that cries out "chemically treated". And, since the seller offered return privileges and has very good feedback, I decided to take a chance. Once it arrives, I will decide whether or not to have it graded.

The only reason I posted about this card is that I am curious about how this particular color was achieved. Usually, color variations are the result of one or two missing layers or colors in the printing process. You can usually tell, for instance, that the variation is due to missing yellow or red ink, or whatever color it might be. So, assuming there is no chemical alteration, how might this color have been accidentally created?

ullmandds
07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
looks real to me...but what do I know or care about t206's!!!!:p

drumback
07-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Here is a scan of the back, taken from the listing on ebay.

ullmandds
07-12-2012, 12:41 PM
def real!

obcmac
07-12-2012, 01:02 PM
First of all, I think painthistorian is a first rate seller...buy stuff from them all the time.

The print looks a little too black...and the borders seem too big and without much natural wear (yes I think that's a good thing). I also have never seen a light blue to gray shift...can't be a missing color because the original color is lighter.

Reminds me a bit of the impossible combinations that had fake fronts and real or at least real looking backs.

I still say it's no good...but I error on the side of caution (except with middy breads apparently)...but I hope it's real!

Mac

Runscott
07-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Seller is great, and the card looks interesting. I think you picked up a neat card.

mrvster
07-12-2012, 08:51 PM
Drumback,

I was going to pull the trigger on it when it was 199.00...then lowered to $125.00 ....i almost did it, but the card just looked almost"fake"....:confused:

these are the times you need them in hand....

I hope it pans out to be a color variation.....do the borders look hand cut at all???? hard to tell from scan......i'm curious on this one......the borders look "large".....

i say for $125.00 was a good gamble;)

caramelcard
07-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Looks like the card is missing the yellow ink.

Nice card Mark.

Rob

atx840
07-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Could be a legit wrong color or missing layer, great pickup.

http://i.imgur.com/E8aV3.jpg

teetwoohsix
07-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Looks like the light blue was missed? Here's mine....the grey blends into the light blue. Keep the T206 threads coming guys :D:D:D

Sincerely, Clayton

tjb1952tjb
07-13-2012, 05:57 AM
Yep........looks like light blue is missing. My Nicholls doesn't even appear to have any gray(very faint, if any). Interested to know the outcome.............