PDA

View Full Version : T206 Fred Tenney Price Spike.

wazoo
07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
After watching a T206 Fred Tenney card sell on EBay tonight, it sold for 157.50. Why did this card sell for so much? Isn't he just a common?

CMIZ5290
07-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Very tough common

wazoo
07-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Still though, I have seen many on EBay and it's not like they are that hard to find.

Tao_Moko
07-10-2012, 08:38 PM
Wazoo,

The Tenney is not terribly difficult to find, but it is tougher to find in mid to high grades. There are theories as to why but I'm not enough of an expert to validate them. I have recently purchased four Tenney's at an average cost of $44 but they are all in the poor condition. If we keep talking about it on the forum the price will continue to rise so buy one now while you can:)

leaflover
07-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I got this one at the National in Baltimore 2 years ago. Paid over $300 for it and thought it was a good buy.

T206DK
07-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Whatever... I've never known the Tenney to be a difficult find at all. I own several and I'm sure my brother does as well. But now that someone on this forum has stated that it might be difficult you will undoubdtedly see lots of action buying and selling them until the next common T206 is deemed "difficult" to find LOL.

wazoo
07-10-2012, 09:00 PM
@Eric, thank you and yes, that seems very true as of now. I will totally start to grab one before the prices rise too high for me.

Beautiful Tenney, although you paid over $300 back then, I still think it was a good buy.

wazoo
07-10-2012, 09:01 PM
Oh well~my bad.

Runscott
07-10-2012, 09:07 PM
The T206 Tenney is like a job - don't get rid of a decent one until you've found another.

AndyG09
07-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I guess I did pretty good getting my presentable SGC 40 for a whopping $32.25 in 2010. It is a pretty sweet portrait in my opinion.

Best,

Andy

BleedinBlue
07-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Tenney was the last common I needed for the set. I'm looking for an upgrade but will skip at that price. Vcp is nearly $100 for Psa 4's before the last one bumped that up.

eBay search tenney and notice how few appear in any condition.

wazoo
07-10-2012, 09:17 PM
@Brian, yeah I noticed that too. I think there are only 4 left on Ebay.

BleedinBlue
07-10-2012, 09:41 PM
@Brian, yeah I noticed that too. I think there are only 4 left on Ebay.

Very few completed sales as well. It's not like this thread has spawned a buying spree yet.

atx840
07-10-2012, 09:48 PM
I know myself and Johnny were watching it due to the slight ghosting on the front..maybe an "error" collector picked it up.

wazoo
07-10-2012, 10:13 PM
I noticed that as well. It really didn't seem that extreme though.

Runscott
07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
I know myself and Johnny were watching it due to the slight ghosting on the front..

Seriously? You guys have such great legitimate interesting T206's. There has to be a point where it's just an ugly fvck-up card.

drc
07-10-2012, 11:32 PM
It's popular because at sale you can advertise it as a PSA Tenney

mrvster
07-11-2012, 04:55 AM
Scott,

LOL!! your right.....:Dwasn't living up to our standards!;)

sb1
07-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Members of the Tenney family have aggressively purchased his cards for decades, almost any issue is difficult to find of him and will bring an above average price.

atx840
07-11-2012, 08:31 AM
Seriously? You guys have such great legitimate interesting T206's. There has to be a point where it's just an ugly fvck-up card.

True true, we do have some standards :)

BleedinBlue
07-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I know myself and Johnny were watching it due to the slight ghosting on the front..maybe an "error" collector picked it up.

I'm pretty sure that is joe Jackson ghosted onto that card.

z28jd
07-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Here is a Tenney ghost for ya guys! Sorry about the other fuzzy cards, they're just along for the ride from an old scan

mrvster
07-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Great cards JOHNNY:)

Bosox Blair
07-12-2012, 02:40 PM
Here is a Tenney ghost for ya guys! Sorry about the other fuzzy cards, they're just along for the ride from an old scan

Are there people who call these examples ghost images?

To me those are just bad registration flaws - and ones that seriously negatively affect value. I understood ghost images to be from a different card (could be the same player) but basically caused by wet transfers.

:confused:

Cheers,
Blair

mrvster
07-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Hey Blair.....

Johnny's cards are , you are right, either "color" shifts or "drunken registers"....stahl and wagner are more "drunken registers", the bradley is a "color shift".....BUT/where as the teney has a "slight ghost"(hairline to the right of the profile.......Johnny techically has a "SLIGHT TENNEY GHOST"

drunken registers are more common than true ghosts....

some definitions:

The Tenney is also a color shift, but if you look at the hairline/profile projecting to the right= it also has a "slight ghost image"...............not as pronounced as most "ghost images", but one nonetheless.....

ghost images usually reflect the player's profile, either shown the subject on the existing card, or the player next to be printed either to the left or right of the subject matter......can either BE that player or ANOTHER player....

The real cool ghosts, the "dramatic ones" are totally diferent players super imposed (THESE ARE USUALLY SCRAP BTW) and extremely rare, and EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!!:D(jamie blundel's fergie/my bender/lake....rob's downey) ect....they are the pinnacle of "ghosts" those if you want to buy, u might have to finance those!!!

In other words:

there are different "LEVELS" or severities of a t206......usually classified on the level of severe/ slight.....some slight "ghosts" some real dramatic.........hence the price varies greatly

some in magenta, some in black ink, some are very close to the "drunken " registers.....

SUMMATION:
Tenney has a "slight ghosted tenney player image" seen to the right of the players head.....and the card displays a slight color shift also

I hope this didn't add to the confusion:o

Peace

Johnny

wazoo
07-12-2012, 03:29 PM
Hey Johnny, thank you for the extra information. I love hearing and learning more about ghost images.

mrvster
07-12-2012, 04:42 PM
I am so glad you joined the board.....you gave me hope that a new generation will appreciate my t206 error collection.......my collection will be up for view in some time, and i can't wait for collectors to see them....alot of my friends have already, but i want others to view and enjoy them as well....i think you pick a great hobby!!!THE BEST SET T206 to collect....your interest really made my theory of younger collectors getting into the set, and appreciating some of the true rarities of this mysterious set....since 1998 i have been collecting the freak t206....jamie b and chris b have joined my "ERROR CRUSADE" and have learned what i have.....they appreciate them now, others like mike sarno, dan mckee, jim rivera, tim cathey, scott forrest , Leon luckey, wonka, clayton, there are so many cool collectors it's unreal:) all have been bitten by the freak bug a little also...we all pretty much get along as youll see and we bicker a little here and there but only in good taste...good luck!!!!

Keep collecting, you picked a super hobby and enjoy the hunting of these little gems!!:)

WELCOME

Peace

Johnny

mrvster
07-12-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh....btw.....the definitions and some thoughts are cumulated from the years from other collectors like ADAm(exhibitman-drunken registers) and other freak collectors who are all part of the thought process here.....especially the vets:)

wazoo
07-12-2012, 05:00 PM
I am very happy to hear that, I really appreciate the old, unique stuff. I enjoy finding the error cards what make the set even more interesting. Back then they did not have the best quality control, nowadays, it's the complete opposite. Cards with two names, cards with no names, extreme miscuts, ghost images, etc., I love it all. In a sense I have started my own "Error Crusade" by purchasing cards like listed above. Although some say these mistakes take away from the value, I feel the complete opposite. These mistakes really add to the value if anything, in my opinion. I cannot wait to see the display of your collection, and I would enjoy sharing my cards with you as well. Best regards.
~Wazoo

Runscott
07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Back when we photographed with film, my brother once took a picture of the Astrodome after a baseball game, and then a picture of Joe Morgan - the film didn't advance, so he had a more faint 'ghost' image of Morgan over the vivid Astrodome image, and the result was very cool-looking.

With cards, I considered a ghost to be remnants of a player's image somewhere else on the card, generally off to the side by a good amount. Some are more dramatic than others, but the ones like the Tenney, to me just seem to be bad registration - interesting, but personally of no interest. On printer scrap, as Johnny said - it could be a completely different ball-player. It might look 'ghostly', or it might look like junk, but it's got big $$$ potential.

The red in this Schlei, if just off by 1/16", would simply look like horrible registration; however, pushed this far to the side, really does look like a ghost hanging over his shoulder:

http://t206themonster.com/T206x4.jpeg

z28jd
07-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I like the Wagner best in the group above because you can see the two sets of hands on the bat pretty good. Ghost probably wasn't a proper term to use for the Tenney, but as Johnny said, you can see the double image right next to him, especially around the hairline. I personally say ghost for something like this and ghost overprint if it's something much more pronounced or a different player altogether. Whatever you want to call it, I still like them. The Stahl is awesome too because it looks like a blurry scan but that is just the card, nothing wrong with the scan

Pat R
07-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Johnny, I am aslo looking forward to seeing your collection just from some of
your previous scans must be an amazing collection.

Scott, love the Bender/Delehanty and the Wiltse.

atx840
07-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Great card Scott. Most of these are drunken registration and would not be considered a ghost card. Those that are, are considerably more valuable.

Johnny your Bender is by far my favorite ghost!

Here is one that's not quite but I still dig it. :)

http://i.imgur.com/ohBjr.jpg

Runscott
07-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Great card Scott. Most of these are drunken registration and would not be considered a ghost card. Those that are, are considerably more valuable.

Johnny your Bender is by far my favorite ghost!

Here is one that's not quite but I still dig it. :)

Love it - 'Phantom of the Mordecai'

Runscott
07-12-2012, 06:13 PM

I don't know why I keep calling him Schlei.

Pat R
07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
I don't know why I keep calling him Schlei.

Same pose same hat the cards are very similar.

wazoo
07-12-2012, 07:41 PM
Oh what I would do to obtain that Wiltse.....such an amazing looking card! By the way, I love the Mordecai Brown card, so cool. Thanks for sharing guys.

mrvster
07-12-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys!!

Wazoo!!keep up the good work....your exactly right....these "errors" were thought to detract from the value years ago, and ironically, they, imho make them much more valuable..... the "chase" cards of yester-year if u will.....a really cool way to collect this set...you get it!! each scrap is almost like a "snow flake" and unique in their own way.....some of these scraps are "one of a kinds" and very few if any of certain examples exist....:cool:...now that rare and cool!! even the factory cut errors are ultra cool...

Erick summers collects the name at tops, such a cool niche....and thats actually what i was trying to acquire in the beginning of my obsession with these DAMN things!!LOL

Chris, Pat, Scott , Johnny D and all the rest, thanks so much!!

I can't wait to have my cards on display....it will happen, but i can't give the time frame.........

there are a few collectors out there who know what i have been trying to do, eventually make my collection so unique and rare, i might have to trade it all for wagz(my dream card since ive been ten years old, couldve purchased when i was 11, and have been kicking myself ever since):mad:

Anyway, thanks everyone for your support in my endeavor and i'm enjoying my collection over these many years has just been almost a large part of my life....

:D

mrvster
07-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Chris,

Great "ghost" example:)

Bosox Blair
07-13-2012, 12:48 AM
Hey Blair.....

Johnny's cards are , you are right, either "color" shifts or "drunken registers"....stahl and wagner are more "drunken registers", the bradley is a "color shift".....BUT/where as the teney has a "slight ghost"(hairline to the right of the profile.......Johnny techically has a "SLIGHT TENNEY GHOST"

drunken registers are more common than true ghosts....

some definitions:

The Tenney is also a color shift, but if you look at the hairline/profile projecting to the right= it also has a "slight ghost image"...............not as pronounced as most "ghost images", but one nonetheless.....

ghost images usually reflect the player's profile, either shown the subject on the existing card, or the player next to be printed either to the left or right of the subject matter......can either BE that player or ANOTHER player....

The real cool ghosts, the "dramatic ones" are totally diferent players super imposed (THESE ARE USUALLY SCRAP BTW) and extremely rare, and EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE!!:D(jamie blundel's fergie/my bender/lake....rob's downey) ect....they are the pinnacle of "ghosts" those if you want to buy, u might have to finance those!!!

In other words:

there are different "LEVELS" or severities of a t206......usually classified on the level of severe/ slight.....some slight "ghosts" some real dramatic.........hence the price varies greatly

some in magenta, some in black ink, some are very close to the "drunken " registers.....

SUMMATION:
Tenney has a "slight ghosted tenney player image" seen to the right of the players head.....and the card displays a slight color shift also

I hope this didn't add to the confusion:o

Peace

Johnny

Thanks for this post, Johnny - I learned a lot from it!

Cheers,
Blair

mrvster
07-13-2012, 04:25 AM
Anytime!! I love your input Blair:D

wazoo
07-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Such a wonderful discussion, thank you all once again.

mrvster
07-13-2012, 08:59 PM
keep your great posts coming!!especially on t206 oddities/rarities:D

wazoo
07-14-2012, 08:38 AM
I will! I just don't want to post too much and annoy other group members. Hey I have a question and maybe you can answer it. I have a T206 Slagle and it seems to be a somewhat ghost. I'll post the picture in a little, hope you can answer.

Runscott
07-14-2012, 08:47 AM
I will! I just don't want to post too much and annoy other group members. Hey I have a question and maybe you can answer it. I have a T206 Slagle and it seems to be a somewhat ghost. I'll post the picture in a little, hope you can answer.

Haha. Don't let anyone on the internet kill your spirit.

wazoo
07-14-2012, 09:20 AM
Agreed! They should just be glad a new generation is into the hobby.

mrvster
07-14-2012, 12:26 PM
We welcome your discussions.....:D....don't worry about anyone, we got your back;).....no questions are dumb questions here, that's how we learn....i still ask "dumb" questions about the set and i have been collecting it for 14 years:o

Love to see the card.....POST PLEASE:)

vintagechris
07-14-2012, 12:43 PM
I actually sold a T206 Tenney to someone with the last name Tenney before and they were indeed related to the player. I forget how but they said they were related. Checking the person's bid history on ebay, they had purchased another one a week prior to mine.

wazoo
07-14-2012, 01:35 PM
We welcome your discussions.....:D....don't worry about anyone, we got your back;).....no questions are dumb questions here, that's how we learn....i still ask "dumb" questions about the set and i have been collecting it for 14 years:o

Love to see the card.....POST PLEASE:)

Thank you for being so welcoming! It is people like you that make this community enjoyable! I shall post it tonight, along with a few others that I have questions on.

Regarding the card sold to Tenney's relative, that is truly awesome! Thanks for sharing.

atx840
07-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Mrvstr is a gentleman and a scholar....granddaddy of freaks.

mrvster
07-14-2012, 06:27 PM

Guys like you keep me going;)

Chris Browne is getting to be a master at this set.....a true collector gentleman....

we need good people like you guys:D

wazoo
07-14-2012, 06:28 PM
That really means a lot! Yes, both of you are extremely knowledgeable about the set. Thank you.

Runscott
07-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Guys like you keep me going;)

Chris Browne is getting to be a master at this set.....a true collector gentleman....

we need good people like you guys:D

You two need to get a room.

atx840
07-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Now kiss :)

http://i.imgur.com/lqUIh.jpg

wazoo
07-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Things just got awkward xD....

mrvster
07-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Scott,

that was hilarious chris!!;)

wazoo
07-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Here is the scan. Can you tell me what's up with it? Thank you!

teetwoohsix
07-14-2012, 10:24 PM

Johnny has one of the coolest collections I've ever seen (hey Johnny :D;)),,,, you will be blown away.

Sincerely, Clayton

mrvster
07-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Wazoo-

Looks like your slagle has a slight registration problem.....u can see it around his hat(please excuse my blindnessLOL)....cool little card, but not much premuim on it.....if you keep searching, you will find hidden gemz....if u ever have any questions on any cards , be happy to check out any you need:D trust me, like budda , "seek and you shall find!":)
we are all glad you joined the board:)

Clayton!

I have to say, Clayton has got to be one of the coolest collectors on this board:cool:.....he is in my "elite " groups of collectors i keep by my side;)
Don't ever leave this board Clayton, your one of our finest:D

Thanks for all the compliments.....i have been dying to show the many other collectors my cards, but waiting for the right forum....most collectors on the board have seen most of my cards thru posts, but i want to get them together collectivelly for all to see which should happen in the next few months....:D

my true goal is to one day trade it all for my card i have been waiting for for over 30 years;)

peace

johnny

wazoo
07-15-2012, 02:27 PM
That's what I'll do, keep seeking. Thank you for the answer. That's what I thought it was myself, but I'm happy I consulted an expert.

bcbgcbrcb
07-15-2012, 02:42 PM
WOW, this is really incredible, a T206 common card that sold for a little higher price than normal on e-bay generates 60 replies to this thread.............

wazoo
07-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Tell you the truth, we dropped the Tenney subject a while ago in this thread and just started talking about t206 abnormalities.

mrvster
07-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Anytime !!it's a cool card, i hope to be an expert one day, but thanks for compliment:o......look thru ebay, and if your not sure, give one of us a holla.....we will def help you in your quest.....when you find them, it's like gold panning!!!just ask Chris B.;)

BTW-Did Jamie get married last night??:confused:

wazoo
07-15-2012, 03:11 PM
You already are an expert! I'm on Ebay right now, hoping to find a beauty. I got my sights locked onto one.

Jamie?

mrvster
07-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Good luck on the piece you have in your sights....remember , keep hush until u win it......then post when you get it....:)......this way u wont have anyone bidding it up on you....can get brutal sometimes trust me....;)

Jamie Blunder(blunder19)....he is a big t206 error collector....i think he got married sat night...if you did Jamie...GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS:D

Wazoo....may the force be with you:D

wazoo
07-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Oh of course! I don't want anyone else to know my secret plans haha. Too bad tonight I got shut down on Ebay, I lost this beautiful pink Hal Chase t206 card, I was so close! Oh well, I have a whole lot more to look through.

Ohhh. Congrats if that is the case to Jamie!

And may the force be with you too.:)

atx840
07-15-2012, 11:27 PM
That pink Chase oddly was Jamie's..had some nice little printer marks on the back.

wazoo
07-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Well isn't that interesting? Too bad I missed it, I liked the printer's mark and I loved the condition of the card.

teetwoohsix
07-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the kind words Johnny, likewise as well :)

Fred Tenney does appear to be a tough common. The one I tried to get awhile back was quickly snatched up :( and I went with a different card. I know there are more, so it's not a big deal.

As far as the freaks- truly unique, rare, and awesome !!!! I love them, just can't afford them ;). Always fun to look at.

Sincerely, Clayton

Mike (18colt)
07-20-2012, 12:28 PM
I checked, and my collection has a T-206 Tenney.

On the back of my Tenney card is a stamp. The stamp, in red ink, reads, "Collect and Credit" on the top line, and "__W. DUDLEY. JR" underneath it. I know from old threads that some people collect these kinds of cards or know some history of these collectors/cards. Is this "Dudley" person interesting/famous/known for any reason? Is there any relevance to this being a 150 series Piedmont back associated with Tenney and/or "Dudley"?

Thanks.

Mike

wazoo
07-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Hmmm...I do not know. I wonder if someone on the site does though.