PDA

View Full Version : 32" Vintage Bats

smass
07-09-2012, 10:15 PM
I read on an Ebay reference guide about vintage bats something to the effect that any bat under 33" is not considered full size. I have been seeing several old bats on Ebay that measure 32" or 32" and a fraction that seem to be pretty heavy and don't look like they were intended for use by kids. Would it be best to keep away from these bats under 33" and wait for the larger ones?

Stuart

BigJJ
07-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Although all people including players were generally shorter then, players generally used bats that were longer, and heavier, relative to their size than they do today. Particularly 1850-1915, you see those big barrels and grips, both handmade bats and manufactured. Also solid contact with the ball was key then, not a smack for a home run. There are thinner town ball bats pre 1850, and a few exceptions with regard to thickness with some professionally manufactured bats beginning in about 1885, in particular a few ring bats. But length there are not many exceptions to - I think 33 inches would be my minimum for a professional club player or equivalent bat.
Also baseball was a children's game until the mid 1840s and was easily played - lighter softer balls, no mitts, until 1880s, many many kids were playing baseball, it is not surprising that shorter bats have survived. But if you look at era photos, especially from the baseball clubs, shorter bats are not the norm for the club/professional players.

murphusa
07-10-2012, 05:08 AM
It is just a stupid myth that bat collectors started. H&B and other bat makers packaged their bats to the stores and they included 32" bats which were marked the same as bigger bats. They also made a little league package for kids in which the largest bat was 32". The difference is some people can't tell the difference between the kids and adult 32" bats so they just made things up saying they were not adult bats.

Is a 35 or 36" bat wanted more than a 32" sure it is.
But if you are at a garage sale and you see a vintage 1890's bat that is only 32" don't walk away from grab it

WWGjohn
07-10-2012, 08:26 AM
The early period of baseball was a time of great experimentation with woods, shapes, sizes, and weights. Also people back then often did not have the tools to make what we today would consider a finished bat. They would use whatever was handy for a bat and weren't particular as to the final product. As previously posted, there was no Little League size back then so bats could range from less than 30" to more than 40". If I see an old bat (no pun intended) I try to grab it.

John