PDA

View Full Version : Pet Peeves?

GrayGhost
07-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Leon, if u can think of a better place to put this, Do your magic sir. haha.

Anyways, we all LOVE Net54, but does anyone have a pet peeve w the site or in general? I don't want to upset people, just am curious

For me, the only thing is people don't always pay when they say they are, or such. Its rare, and most times, there are reasons, but it bugs me a bit, since I ship stuff and pay right away.

I have no issues w the site layout, etc. Plus, as we all know, its a GREAT place to be a part of:)

Leon
07-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Even though I very, very rarely get involved in any transactions on the board, and 0 involvement is far and away the best involvement by a moderator, I do want to know about folks slow paying, not doing what they say they are....etc.... If someone backs out of a deal, and no harm was done, then it's probably not cause for too much concern. If they do it continuously then that is a problem. There have been a few of those we have had to weed out.

Many times if someone treats you poorly with a transaction on the board then they do it to other people too. I know of one person that just joined and is on the cusp of not being allowed on the BST. He is selling 2 fake T206s on his website, blatant fakes (really bad ones). I told him about them and he said he will just need to send them into be authenticated. I told him he is acting like an idiot and won't be long for our board if he keeps it up. I mean really, does anyone want to deal with someone that is selling really bad fakes and won't accept they are indeed really bad fakes? I am talking a 3 dollar bill here....not a card that could possibly be real. Over and over he defended them.....I know I don't want to deal with someone like that...

As as matter of fact he took 2 down and still has 2 fakes he is selling.....I just gave him a choice....take them off his site, sell them as fakes or leave our board....I won't knowingly subject our members to this kind of crap.

http://vintagebaseballcardshop.com/1909t-seriesburchellhavanacigarettespoor.aspx

07-09-2012, 09:03 AM
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=153534

Runscott
07-09-2012, 09:38 AM
....I won't knowingly subject our members to this kind of crap.

Thanks Leon.

I don't have any pet peeves regarding the board. Most of the things I would complain about are watered-down versions of problems that are much bigger on other forums. I even appreciate that Leon tells me to reel it in every now and then.

I do wish people would use their first names when sending emails and PM's - it's weird to me to start conducting business with someone, and not even know their first name.

rjackson44
07-09-2012, 09:46 AM
a lot of good people never had one problem selling or buying.leon runs a good ship.so i feel safe all the time.octavio

RobertGT
07-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Even though I very, very rarely get involved in any transactions on the board, and 0 involvement is far and away the best involvement by a moderator, I do want to know about folks slow paying, not doing what they say they are....etc.... If someone backs out of a deal, and no harm was done, then it's probably not cause for too much concern. If they do it continuously then that is a problem. There have been a few of those we have had to weed out.

Many times if someone treats you poorly with a transaction on the board then they do it to other people too. I know of one person that just joined and is on the cusp of not being allowed on the BST. He is selling 2 fake T206s on his website, blatant fakes (really bad ones). I told him about them and he said he will just need to send them into be authenticated. I told him he is acting like an idiot and won't be long for our board if he keeps it up. I mean really, does anyone want to deal with someone that is selling really bad fakes and won't accept they are indeed really bad fakes? I am talking a 3 dollar bill here....not a card that could possibly be real. Over and over he defended them.....I know I don't want to deal with someone like that...

As as matter of fact he took 2 down and still has 2 fakes he is selling.....I just gave him a choice....take them off his site, sell them as fakes or leave our board....I won't knowingly subject our members to this kind of crap.

http://vintagebaseballcardshop.com/1909t-seriesburchellhavanacigarettespoor.aspx

The prices on that guy's website are a complete joke. In many cases, he is asking 500 percent of retail for a RAW card. I probably have 15 Wade Boggs RCs in the same shape as this, that are collectively not worth $142. His same card can be bought on ebay for about $5.

Here's his price!

1983 Topps Wade Boggs RC #498 (Gem-MT)
MSRP: $275.00
Price: $142.49
You Save: $132.51 (48 %)

Lordstan
07-09-2012, 11:39 AM
I do wish people would use their first names when sending emails and PM's - it's weird to me to start conducting business with someone, and not even know their first name.

I agree wholeheartedly. It is so unusual to me to get a message about something I'm selling or interested in buying without someone's name.

Leon
07-09-2012, 11:49 AM
As much as the prices might be a joke, that is no concern of mine. Selling reprints as real, and using this site to do it (or at least tout the site), does concern me.

The prices on that guy's website are a complete joke. In many cases, he is asking 500 percent of retail for a RAW card. I probably have 15 Wade Boggs RCs in the same shape as this, that are collectively not worth $142. His same card can be bought on ebay for about $5.

Here's his price!

1983 Topps Wade Boggs RC #498 (Gem-MT)
MSRP: $275.00
Price: $142.49
You Save: $132.51 (48 %)

Scott Garner
07-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks Leon.

I don't have any pet peeves regarding the board. Most of the things I would complain about are watered-down versions of problems that are much bigger on other forums. I even appreciate that Leon tells me to reel it in every now and then.

+1

Scott Garner
07-09-2012, 12:10 PM
a lot of good people never had one problem selling or buying.leon runs a good ship.so i feel safe all the time.octavio

+1 I would have to agree with Octavio. As far as transactions on net54, it's never been anything but a pleasure to deal with everyone on the board. I've been fortunate to have some terrfic items offered to me by board members, and I've been very happy to add them to my personal collection.

Leon,
Thanks for creating the net54 community, and many thanks to all of you that have helped fill some holes in my collection. :)

Deertick
07-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Funny, one of my pet peeves has already been mentioned. He just seems a little antagonistic, fwiw.

Site-wise, could we have an option to view more posts without the page loads? It may not be too much of an issue for long-timers, but as a relative newbie reading through some older 100+ post threads, it tends to get annoying.

Ohterwise, I've learned, I've sold, and I've bought. Maybe I've even contributed in a positive way. What more can one ask for?

Leon
07-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Site-wise, could we have an option to view more posts without the page loads? It may not be too much of an issue for long-timers, but as a relative newbie reading through some older 100+ post threads, it tends to get annoying.

If you mean posts, you can set it to 80 per thread before it rolls over. Have you got it set to that? You can easily do it in your user control panel (CP)...LL

GrayGhost
07-09-2012, 08:05 PM
People sometimes say you will get paid by "x" date, and still nothing. When you want/need the money, its a bit annoying.

Bocabirdman
07-09-2012, 08:35 PM
People sometimes say you will get paid by "x" date, and still nothing. When you want/need the money, its a bit annoying.

Truthfully Scott, that isn't exclusive of this forum. It's kinda a foible of the human animal. Don't you think?

Deertick
07-09-2012, 08:39 PM
If you mean posts, you can set it to 80 per thread before it rolls over. Have you got it set to that? You can easily do it in your user control panel (CP)...LL

Nevermind. :o

GrayGhost
07-09-2012, 09:38 PM
Truthfully Scott, that isn't exclusive of this forum. It's kinda a foible of the human animal. Don't you think?

Yes it is, but I don't do that. I pay right away, when I say I am. its just frustrating, esp for someone who is in need of it. That said tho, the great majority of people/deals on here are great, buy or sell. I LOVE the site and will never want to leave it. haha.

ibuysportsephemera
07-10-2012, 04:19 AM
I don't understand when a sellers puts what appears to me to be a really overpriced item up for sale in the BST and then they bump it immediately with lower pricing for many days in a row with no response from other members.

As the title says...it is just my pet peeve, I am very happy to be a member here.

Jeff

Leon
07-10-2012, 06:35 AM
I don't understand when a sellers puts what appears to me to be a really overpriced item up for sale in the BST and then they bump it immediately with lower pricing for many days in a row with no response from other members.

As the title says...it is just my pet peeve, I am very happy to be a member here.

Jeff

If someone is bumping something every day then that is against the rules. Everyone should be respectful of each others postings. Consolidating threads should be done when possible too.

WWGjohn
07-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Would also like to see at least a first name.

John

Wite3
07-10-2012, 09:18 AM
No scans on cards for sale or sellers that say "can't scan until....." or "graded accurately and you can return if not satisfied but I can't scan it." To me, you lose a sale. I do not want to waste my time returning cards and I will wait for a scan but I think that the seller might be taking other offers (yes, I am suspicious type).

Joshua

thekingofclout
07-11-2012, 04:47 AM
People that start "Coach's Corner" threads in the Memorabilia section.

batsballsbases
07-11-2012, 09:52 PM
People that start "Coach's Corner" threads in the Memorabilia section.

+500 give or take!

chaddurbin
07-12-2012, 09:31 AM

yup. really high then start bumping everyday with 1-2% off trying to squeeze every dollar possible.

Anthony S.
07-12-2012, 11:38 AM
There's currently a thread in the tobacco section of the BST that the seller has bumped or responded to buyers in 15 times in the past 5 days. Unless he desperately needs the money to fend off foreclosure on his house that seems excessive.

Leon
07-12-2012, 02:16 PM
There's currently a thread in the tobacco section of the BST that the seller has bumped or responded to buyers in 15 times in the past 5 days. Unless he desperately needs the money to fend off foreclosure on his house that seems excessive.

If it's the one with 23 replies :) I just took a look, and to his defense, most of the bumps although they are a bit excessive, are giving updates, legitimate info and so forth. They aren't just bumps for the sake of bumps, which I often see with very little time between them. And he did keep it all in one thread...you guys should at least be happy about that.

HRBAKER
07-12-2012, 08:11 PM
My really only one and it is MINOR; I ignore any BST listing that contains the phrase, "Now Accepting Offers." No pricing, no consideration on my part, even if it is a card I am looking for.

Wymers Auction
07-13-2012, 01:37 AM
My really only one and it is MINOR; I ignore any BST listing that contains the phrase, "Now Accepting Offers." No pricing, no consideration on my part, even if it is a card I am looking for.

I agree tell me what you would like to have and if it is close we may be able to work it out.

Gary Dunaier
07-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I once read someone commenting about buying ads headlined WANTED TO BUY. "Why is he telling us about something he WANTED to buy, instead of letting us know what he WANTS to buy?"

brickyardkennedy
07-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Agree.

Also, a minor but annoying thing to me, is when people will state an opinion than go on to tell us that it's, "IMO", "IMHO" or "just my two cents". Does anyone ever believe that they're posting an opinion for someone else?

Exhibitman
07-14-2012, 05:31 PM
other people...

barrysloate
07-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Everything bothers me...so a better question might be to name something that isn't a pet peeve.

But one that comes to mind: internet abbreviations. I hate when I'm reading a thread and someone uses an abbreviation and I no longer have a clue what they're talking about. I'm usually thinking, WTF is he saying (okay, I know a few of them). How difficult is it to spell out the words? Does it entail another eight seconds of typing?

Bocabirdman
07-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Everything bothers me...so a better question might be to name something that isn't a pet peeve.

But one that comes to mind: internet abbreviations. I hate when I'm reading a thread and someone uses an abbreviation and I no longer have a clue what they're talking about. I'm usually thinking, WTF is he saying (okay, I know a few of them). How difficult is it to spell out the words? Does it entail another eight seconds of typing?

+1 ....I accept WTF as a polite way of expressing it in polite company.

barrysloate
07-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Mike- I like your "Rat Mouth" location. My dad lives in Boca Raton so I know it well.

Bocabirdman
07-15-2012, 10:45 AM
Barry...I am actually out here in West Boca (by 441), almost 10 miles from the ocean. Down here almost twenty years....Sheeesh! Where does the time go?:eek: It kind of limits the possibilites of stumbling on A great find around here as the area was still mangroves and swamps in T206 times.:) Now when I lived in New England.... :D

Mike- I like your "Rat Mouth" location. My dad lives in Boca Raton so I know it well.

barrysloate
07-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Don't think I've been to West Boca...must be hot as blazes right now.

Bocabirdman
07-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Don't think I've been to West Boca...must be hot as blazes right now.

It is technically Boca Raton. We are the red-headed stepchild...unincorporated don't ya know..Actually , all week we were cooler than alot of place here in the states.

chaddurbin
07-16-2012, 11:43 AM

a very legit complaint. sellers know damn well what the prices they're willing to sell..."make an offer" is a bs excuse to try and get more. state a price if you want to sell.

internet abbreviations. I hate when I'm reading a thread and someone uses an abbreviation and I no longer have a clue what they're talking about. I'm usually thinking, WTF is he saying (okay, I know a few of them). How difficult is it to spell out the words? Does it entail another eight seconds of typing?

i text on the phone alot throughout the day, and also do some chatting. the abbreviations help tremendously in streamlining what i need to say. something becomes smth, address becomes addy etc. it's become second nature and sometimes i transfer that onto chatboards. i mostly try to shorten words and not expressions, smh is a big pet peeve. i don't care if you're shaking your head...

barrysloate
07-16-2012, 12:38 PM
I guess you have to get used to the abbreviations until they become second nature. I can sit and stare but can't figure out most of them.

Runscott
07-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Agree.

Also, a minor but annoying thing to me, is when people will state an opinion than go on to tell us that it's, "IMO", "IMHO" or "just my two cents". Does anyone ever believe that they're posting an opinion for someone else?

It just means that you don't feel you are necessarily stating a fact - kind of a way of appeasing those who get ruffled when someone believes differently from them.

HRBAKER
07-16-2012, 04:57 PM
I thought of another although it doesn't happen often: people who don't know how to use the "crop" function on their scanner. The item being sold looks like a postage stamp on the scanner bed.