PDA

View Full Version : Your preferred media for baseball autographs

markf31
07-08-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm still relatively new to autograph collecting and of course there is a number of different types of media that baseball autographs can be collected on. What do you focus on and why?

My collection currently focuses on singled signed vintage OAL or ONL balls of HOFers and Pirate team signed balls from 1979 and earlier. I just really like the older Harridge, Cronin, Frick, Giles, etc... baseballs.

mighty bombjack
07-08-2012, 12:51 PM
The point for me is to have a variety of media. I love it all, from cards to postcards, 8x10s, letters, scorecards, checks, contracts, etc. I just bought some signed sheet music (and got outbid on another). I have a few baseballs and like them, but they can be tough to store when your collection grows, not to mention pricey, as they are the preferred medium of many collectors like yourself.

I know some collectors like their collection to be uniform. To each their own!

39special
07-08-2012, 01:06 PM
I've been collecting autos for about a year.I also like different things signed. Checks,cards,balls,books,etc.The only things I don't liked signed is game used stuff like jerseys and hats.

packs
07-08-2012, 08:41 PM
I generally like baseballs. But for players with a lot out there (Mays, Mantle, Ted Williams, Joe Dimaggio etc) I would prefer to have them on a card issued during their playing career.

RichardSimon
07-08-2012, 09:19 PM
Give me a vintage 8x10 any day of the week.

JimH5
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
I like white unlined paper that can be matted with a photo. Either a 3x5 or GPC or Album Page.

I prefer single signed items, something that will look good behind glass.

thenavarro
07-09-2012, 09:04 PM
I prefer signed rookie cards, as there doesn't seem to be the plethora of them like a lot of other items. For a number of years, and even these days for some collectors, it was generally a hobby taboo to get rookie cards signed. Makes for some good long term prospecting me thinks. ;)

T206Collector
07-10-2012, 06:58 AM
T206 cards.

MooseDog
07-10-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm more into the handwriting aspect so nice signatures on clean areas like 3x5s and GPCs, even scraps of paper are appealing to me if the signature looks nice.

One of my favorite things to buy are vintage autograph books.

So to the OPs question, no particular type of media for me. Variety is the spice of collecting life.

drc
07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
I like variety. I like a signed baseball, but that doesn't I want only signed baseballs.

Also, you can only buy what is up for sale. If there's a Honus Wagner signed menu, you can't will it into being a Honus Wagner signed World Series program.

chaddurbin
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
cards, easy to store. hate baseballs, that reminds me i got a few i need to get rid of.

Plinvestments
07-11-2012, 03:51 PM
cards, easy to store. hate baseballs, that reminds me i got a few i need to get rid of.

I prefer 16x20. Hobbyists don't like them, but that is where the money is as a dealer.

Exhibitman
07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Cards. Preferably Exhibit cards.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/autographedexhibitcards/websize/Aaron.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/autographedexhibitcards/websize/Koufax.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/autographedexhibitcards/websize/Mutoscope%20Mozert%20and%20Moran%20signed.jpg