PDA

View Full Version : Soaking 53 Bowman

robsbessette
07-08-2012, 08:37 AM
I know there is a thread I've follow closely on the pre war board, but is this even an option with post war stuff? (53 Bowman in particular) Would love to see examples and hear techniques.

almostdone
07-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Rob,
I've never tried but have always heard that trying to "soak" any post war card isn't a good idea. I to would love to know anyone elses experiences in this especially if they had some success.
Drew

brett 75
07-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Purchased a 1952 Bowman Jackie Jensen with glue on back a few years back held on to it for a year and then finally got the guts to toss it in the water. After reading most of the articles on this and another forum . Didn't figure it would take the glue off but it all was gone after the soaking with no effects to the card. I really wish I had done a before and after but didn't . If I can ever figure how to post from my pad will try to get a picture of the back for you, Brett

robsbessette
07-09-2012, 06:30 AM
Why is soaking post war cards considered a bad idea? Different card stock? Gloss? Just curious. I'm thinking about testing it on some that I wouldn't mind losing.

David W
07-09-2012, 07:38 AM
Why is soaking post war cards considered a bad idea? Different card stock? Gloss? Just curious. I'm thinking about testing it on some that I wouldn't mind losing.

I think the glue is different and more "soakproof" than the glue for instance used to glue T 206's 50 years earlier

robsbessette
07-09-2012, 09:25 AM
That seems to makes sense. Thanks for the response!

Volod
07-10-2012, 06:33 PM
I think the glue is different and more "soakproof" than the glue for instance used to glue T 206's 50 years earlier

no longer using horses...ugh.

MBMiller25
07-12-2012, 07:22 AM
Isn't "soaking" cards considered somewhat taboo in the hobby? I've been under the impression that this practice is along the same lines as building up of corners, trimming, etc. Am I mistaken?

Volod
07-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Isn't "soaking" cards considered somewhat taboo in the hobby? I've been under the impression that this practice is along the same lines as building up of corners, trimming, etc. Am I mistaken?

From my point of view, it all depends entirely on what you intend to do with the card. If you are strictly a collector and want to improve the appearance of a card for your own personal satisfaction, it's no one's concern but your own. If, on the other hand, you are attempting to deceive someone, such as a potential buyer or grader, then you are entering a very different area of ethical debate.

SMPEP
07-13-2012, 09:33 AM
I can understand your comment on soaking it, leaving it raw and then trying to decieve someone into thinking it is in better condition than it is.

But in the case of getting it graded ... isn't the burden on the card grading company to look at the card and assign the correct grade? Who cares whether it was soaked or not. Their job is to look at the card at hand and give an expert opinion.