PDA

View Full Version : An interesting article about autographs NY Daily News-and it is not a bad news story

RichardSimon
07-08-2012, 07:49 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/derek-jeter-alex-rodriguez-david-wright-johan-santana-members-yankees-mets-talk-signing-autographs-time-article-1.1109700

Anthony McCarron writes about autographs from the players perspective.

mschwade
07-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Has your autograph changed?

Derek Jeter: "No, I think it’s pretty much the same. It’s probably a little different than when I was in high school, but pretty much the same over the years."

Actually, maybe Chris, Richard, or someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Jeter's last major change to his autograph happened from AA Greensboro to now.

RichardSimon
07-08-2012, 09:30 AM
Chris really knows Jeter, I am sure he will answer you.

JimStinson
07-08-2012, 02:56 PM
Here is a rookie year IN-PERSON Jeter that came from Ralph Winnie.

HRBAKER
07-08-2012, 03:01 PM
It's changed.
It is considerably more expensive.

travrosty
07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I didn't see a signature in that article that was legible, and that someone who knew nothing about the sport or hobby could tell you what the guys name was, unlike ted williams, other autographs of yesteryear where they cared to give you a readable signature.

David Atkatz
07-08-2012, 04:04 PM
Take a look at Santana's, Travis. It's beautiful.

David Atkatz
07-08-2012, 04:08 PM
"And then my signature was starting to look like my autograph, so I had to change those up..."--Curtis Granderson

WTF?

These guys invent a little doodle, and call it their "autograph." But it's not the way they "really" sign their names.

As John Lennon famously said, "Nothing is real."

travrosty
07-08-2012, 05:44 PM
santana's is nice, i stand corrected.

the rest are scribbles.

Mr. Zipper
07-08-2012, 06:07 PM
"And then my signature was starting to look like my autograph, so I had to change those up..."--Curtis Granderson

WTF?

These guys invent a little doodle, and call it their "autograph." But it's not the way they "really" sign their names.

As John Lennon famously said, "Nothing is real."

Granderson is a heck of a player and he seems like a quality human being and a bright guy.

But his autograph is god-awful. As a collector, I find it so much harder to spring for an autographed item when the sig is an ugly mess. Probably why I have about 20 Mariano Riveras and zero Curtis Grandersons. :D

And yes, the Johann Santana sig is a thing of refinement and beauty.

Scott Garner
07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
santana's is nice, i stand corrected.

the rest are scribbles.

+1
One of the best in the current ML, IMHO

HOF Auto Rookies
07-10-2012, 11:31 AM
A-Rod had a really nice autograph in the minors and rookie year. Very legible, could ready every letter, he still signs like that now, usually with Steiner

drc
07-10-2012, 12:21 PM
I thought the first time autographs were nice. "You're no Cal Ripken"

travrosty
07-10-2012, 12:57 PM
http://www.foxsportsnorth.com/05/13/11/The-importance-of-a-legible-autograph/landing_twins.html?blockID=522485

killebrew knew it. he tried to tell the young guys.

and cuddyer does have a nice readable autograph.