PDA

View Full Version : So where am I not looking?

Howe’s Hunter
07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
My collecting is pretty much focused. And I look quite often at the obvious places ... four or five times a day on eBay, and almost daily at Dave's Vintage cards, Cy's cards, the Network 54 B/S/T thread, and Kevin Savage auctions. Then of course are the auction houses (Huggins & Scott, Heritage, REA, Brockelman & Luckey, Lelands, Hunt and Goodwin) that don't offer something every day, but I try and carefully check over what they have when it is listed. So where else should I be looking, if not daily at least a couple times a week?

T206Collector
07-06-2012, 04:37 PM
If you find any new places to look for signed T206 cards, please let me know. I am plum out of ideas.

markf31
07-06-2012, 06:09 PM
The Batters Box has a pretty extensive selection, some of their inventory is posted on Ebay but not all of it. They have a downloadable catalog on their website.

http://www.the-battersbox.net/

hangman62
07-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Two more vintage dealers with excellent selections are 707 Sportcards( but high priced) and Deans Cards

nolemmings
07-06-2012, 06:46 PM
Ed, forgive me if this has been asked before but I always wondered---how will you know whether/when you have obtained all McCormick stamped cards? Is there some way of knowing how many he had? I tip my hat to you, but it would drive me loopy wondering if there were never any more to find and I was simply engaging in a fool's errand.

Howe’s Hunter
07-06-2012, 09:25 PM
I won't have any way of knowing when I get to the end. For me, that is part of the fun, or excuse. I can look several times a day, everyday, for something I want at a lot of places, and really not get in trouble with my wife, because she knows there are a lot of other things I could be looking at online that would cause a lot more problems.

Honestly, when I started, I thought I might end up with around 100 by the time I died. I hope to stick around at least another 25 years (that would get me close to 75) and I'm already at 208 (just heard about what might be 209-hope,hope) so now, it is just a matter of getting as many as I can to fill my binder. If I have to order more pages, I'd be really happy about that.

Again, thanks to everyone on the board for their help in finding these. Seems it is either feast or famine when they become available, but so far in 2012, it ends up about one card a month. Nice.

paulcarek
07-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Let me second Mark's endorsement of the Battersbox. Paul offers fairly priced, accurately graded cards and great service. He helped me complete my '52 Bowman set, and is currently my go-to seller as I work on '41 Play Ball.

nolemmings
07-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I meant no disrespect. I find your quest admirable. Best of luck and I'll keep my eyes open, FWIW.

atx840
07-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Sometimes Joe posts cards before they hit ebay. I tend to see them show up at the Sterling & Goodwin auctions, recently I think there were a few Hindus.

joesvintagesportscards.com
(http://www.joesvintagesportscards.com)

caramelcard
07-06-2012, 09:42 PM
If Howe McCormick had 208 T206 cards, he most surely had 209 right? Hope so. I'll take another look through my set.

Some of these are very faint which I'm sure makes it a bit tougher for you.

Best of luck!!

rob

wonkaticket
07-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Same place we all should have been looking....the "Black Swamp". :)

Anthony S.
07-06-2012, 09:58 PM
I had a Howe McCormick stamp made late last year. Ed's quest won't be ending anytime soon.

wonkaticket
07-06-2012, 10:00 PM
i had a howe mccormick stamp made late last year. Ed's quest won't be ending anytime soon.

lmao! :d

Howe’s Hunter
07-06-2012, 10:04 PM
If I knew how to make one of those little smiley face guys, or a thumbs up, that post would certainly deserve it.

rp12367
07-07-2012, 07:58 AM
Ed, 208 cards over the roughly 3 years t206 were produced, would mean whoever the smoker was giving him the cards, was a pack and a half a week smoker. Hardly any one I know smokes only that amount. There could still be hundreds more out there :)

Howe’s Hunter
07-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Ralph, from my research on Ancestry.com (no, i'm not related to him), I found at the time the cards were out, he was 14. He lived in Alachua, Florida, which is now considered a suburb(?) of Gainesville, but is not it Gainesville proper (which explains why Main Street in Gainesville runs East/West, not North/South. It runs North/South in Alachua). Anyway, back to the theory... his father and his uncle (mom's brother) owned a market called McCormick and Howe (Howe was his mother's maiden name). There are no records of Howe ever attending a school in Alachua County. So my guess is as the only son of the small family, he worked at the store instead of attending school. Stuck at the store all day, he probably saw the cards coming out of cigarette packs that people were purchasing and got to a point were he was asking buyers to give him the cards if they didn't want them. All either Piedmont, Old Mill or Hindu. Over three years time, I'm guessing he got hundreds, if not a thousand. Over time, I would guess quite a few were lost, but my quest will probably go on forever just trying to round up the ones that have survived.

slidekellyslide
07-07-2012, 11:20 AM
I really don't think your quest will end anytime soon...there have got to be thousands of people with T206 cards that have had them for decades and just don't think much about them, have never been to Net54 so don't know about your quest, et cetera. They will keep popping up steadily for you I'm sure. If you've amassed 208 in a few years time then this McCormick kid must have had a very large collection of them.

rp12367
07-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Ralph, from my research on Ancestry.com (no, i'm not related to him), I found at the time the cards were out, he was 14. He lived in Alachua, Florida, which is now considered a suburb(?) of Gainesville, but is not it Gainesville proper (which explains why Main Street in Gainesville runs East/West, not North/South. It runs North/South in Alachua). Anyway, back to the theory... his father and his uncle (mom's brother) owned a market called McCormick and Howe (Howe was his mother's maiden name). There are no records of Howe ever attending a school in Alachua County. So my guess is as the only son of the small family, he worked at the store instead of attending school. Stuck at the store all day, he probably saw the cards coming out of cigarette packs that people were purchasing and got to a point were he was asking buyers to give him the cards if they didn't want them. All either Piedmont, Old Mill or Hindu. Over three years time, I'm guessing he got hundreds, if not a thousand. Over time, I would guess quite a few were lost, but my quest will probably go on forever just trying to round up the ones that have survived.

Ed, WOW I didn't know that his family owned a store, on that note, you are probaly correct there may be 100's or 1000's out there. You're quest will most likely be never ending. Best of Luck, I will keep my eyes open for you as well....

T206Collector
07-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Ed,

I know you only collect the stamps on T206s. What other cards have you seen his stamp on?

Howe’s Hunter
07-07-2012, 05:10 PM
Paul, right after the story in SGC magazine, I was contacted by a gentleman who went through SGC to get ahold of me. He had two T206s with the stamp (a Cy Young which has since changed hands, and a board member now owns) and an absolutley beautiful Cobb green background. Don't know where that one is now. But he also had five E96s he asked if I was interestd in. Those are the only other cards I know if to have Howe's stamp. Afraid when I do my searches, I limit them to t206s, so there may be others, I just haven't seen them.