PDA

View Full Version : Question about selling: Private vs Auction

yanks12025
07-05-2012, 03:01 PM
So whenever I decide to selling something dealing with baseball I always have the hardest time deciding whether to accept a private collector offer or sell at auction. For example lets say you have a item, a auction house tells you $3,000-$5,500+ while a collector offers you $3,000. Do you accept the offer or still send to auction. Because remember the auction house will take 15%-20%. Looking forward to hearing others thoughts.

barrysloate
07-05-2012, 03:16 PM
You can't generalize because every piece is different. But I would not use a pre-auction estimate to determine what your piece is worth. I would look at recent past auction results. Sometimes auction houses throw out a high number to entice you to consign. They can estimate $3500 but if it sells for less there's nothing you can do. I would look at each piece closely and make a decision.

Deertick
07-05-2012, 03:20 PM
So whenever I decide to selling something dealing with baseball I always have the hardest time deciding whether to accept a private collector offer or sell at auction. For example lets say you have a item, a auction house tells you $3,000-$5,500+ while a collector offers you $3,000. Do you accept the offer or still send to auction. Because remember the auction house will take 15%-20%. Looking forward to hearing others thoughts.

I try to have a figure in my head beforehand, one that takes into FMV and what I would be satisfied with. I take into consideration any fees AND the possibility of not reaching the estimate in auction.

In your example, the $3000 offer amounts to a gavel price of $3600. If my 'happy' price is below that AND the likelihood of a significantly higher gavel price is small, I'd take the deal. If I answer one of those two questions "No", off to auction we go.

Leon
07-05-2012, 03:58 PM
Several factors for me. If the private offer is what I believe is "all the money" then I will usually take it. Less than that and I usually go to auction. Also, if I need cash quickly I might take a private offer if it is at market price.

Wymers Auction
07-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Always take it to auction!!! Just kidding!!!

Griffins
07-07-2012, 05:52 PM
I've done much better cutting out the middle man and selling directly.