PDA

View Full Version : Had any luck removing stain from York Caramels?

big80s
06-29-2012, 07:56 PM
Hello friends,

I just picked up this 1927 York Caramel card and it has a nice stain on the back of the card. Is it worth trying to remove or should I leave it?

http://packgeek.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/1927_york_caramels_cobb_2.jpg

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

FrankWakefield
06-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Have you soaked it?

big80s
06-30-2012, 08:05 AM
Nope. Would you recommend it? I haven't dealt with caramel stains before (assuming that's what it is).

Leon
06-30-2012, 08:29 AM
I think that stain will be hard to get off by yourself. You might search out Dick Towle (the stain remover guy) and see what he says. You can do a few searches and easily find him plus he is a member here and checks in sometimes. I have heard he is good at what he does *(taking stains out of cards) though have never used him. Personally, I would leave it alone.

big80s
06-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Thank you, Leon. I appreciate the input.

FrankWakefield
06-30-2012, 02:59 PM
First, I don't think that's caramel, I think it's rust.

The card will soak. I think some of that will leave the card, but a bit will remain.

And Dick Towle has the products, tools, knowledge, and skill set that enable him to remove that. And if he can't, then I have doubts that anyone could.

You might soak it, and see what you think of it after the soaking. Then, you could contact Mr. Towle. Soaking is free, Mr. Towle isn't.

big80s
06-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Interesting. I guess I assumed it was caramel because of the card issue.

Thanks for the reply, Frank!

Jeff

Leon
06-30-2012, 05:02 PM
Interesting. I guess I assumed it was caramel because of the card issue.

Thanks for the reply, Frank!

Jeff

I don't think any of us will be definitive on what the stain is without real testing but I will guess it is oil from the caramel product. It looks soaked into the card fiber, not sitting on top of it. Any rust I have seen on cards has been more orange or red. Just a guess on this and Frank could be right too. I would have a concern that a regular soaking could make that stain worse (spread out albeit a few shades lighter). It definitely is not something I have tried before. I have only soaked cards to get paper or paste residue off not stains. (that I remember)

birdman42
06-30-2012, 06:09 PM
First, I don't think that's caramel, I think it's rust.

Frank, that was one thought I had, too. Then I looked at it a little more, and it looks to me like a stain from one of those gummy old rubber bands. I have a few newer cards with a stain like this one: straight but uneven, and about that color.

Bill

FrankWakefield
07-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Might be right about the rubber band. Seems to be a slight indentation at the top where the stain is, could have been caused by a rubber band or a paper clip. I don't think a short soak would hurt that, should only help. I don't think it would bleed, if you're worried about that, check on it every 5 minutes or so, and see how it's doing. If it looks like it's bleeding, blot it dry and abate the soak.