PDA

View Full Version : old tintype

mighty bombjack
06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
My father has a number of old civil war-era tintypes and daguerreotypes. This is the only one I've found in his collection that seems to be baseball related. It's in an old union case and doesn't have any signifying marks or equipment in the image. The two gentlemen are wearing different uniforms, so perhaps posing as leaders of opposing teams before a match?

Any and all information and/or comments about this item are welcomed. Also, I dig the image and am not looking to move it, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a ballpark value.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff105/mighty-bombjack/Tintype.jpg

Cardboard Junkie
06-27-2012, 11:31 PM
WoW!! Cooooool!! :):eek::) Very VERY Nice! Value? Pricey!:D

GaryPassamonte
06-28-2012, 05:17 AM
What size is the tintype? Are either of the players holding any baseball equipment? It appears the player on the left may be holding a ball. It has a nice case. It also appears to be circa 1885 based on the uniforms. I would estmate the value at $100-$200.

barrysloate
06-28-2012, 05:42 AM
I agree with Gary's assessment. One of the key assets of a good baseball tintype is that the player or players are holding a bat and ball. This one is lacking clearly visible equipment, hence the low estimate. But your image is nicely posed and certainly appealing.

Also, daguerreotypes were introduced in 1839 and their heydey was roughly 1840-55. By the Civil War, they were virtually gone. Almost all images in the 1860's were either CdV's or tintypes.

ramram
06-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Nice tintype.

I'd agree with the price estimate but would bump up the value by about $75 - $100 if he's clearly holding a base ball. The players may be from different teams but could also be from the same team. Outside of professionals, teams weren't very consistant in the "uniformity" of their uniforms.

Rob M.