PDA

View Full Version : VIP package for the National?

Jcfowler6
06-26-2012, 10:10 AM
I am planning to go to my first national this year. Is it worth the money to get the VIP packages offered?

Best regards
Jon

peterose4hof
06-26-2012, 10:29 AM
It depends on several factors. How many days are you planning to be there? Are going for the autographs, to shop for rare finds and steals, just to look around and maybe buy a few cards? Do you collect modern cards (including promos)?

ThoseBackPages
06-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Jon,

you're gonna love it! There's nothing like The National!

Bosox Blair
06-26-2012, 11:09 AM
It depends on several factors. How many days are you planning to be there? Are going for the autographs, to shop for rare finds and steals, just to look around and maybe buy a few cards? Do you collect modern cards (including promos)?

These are the key questions for sure. I went last year and bought the first level of VIP package (whatever they call that). It had a lot of features, I thought. A bunch of free autographs of non-HOF baseball players (and a few HOF hockey and basketball players)...I am not an autograph collector, but I came home with about 8 free autographs.

I also wanted to go to every session of the whole National, so VIP started to make more financial sense.

If you are looking for rare/unique items, the 1/2 hour early entry is good. Also skipping the line to enter the main floor was nice. Unlimited in/out was very helpful for taking off to lunch, back to hotel for a few minutes, etc.

As a VIP you get a ton of modern promo cards. I don't care for such things, so mine are siitting in a box at home unopened and untouched. Some of these make their way to eBay right after the National, but I was too lazy...

Cheers,
Blair

Jay Wolt
06-26-2012, 11:12 AM
As a VIP you get a ton of modern promo cards
Just checked em out, some are pretty cool like Topps rookies in the style of 1952 Topps
Babe Ruth w/ Baltimore, Mantle w/ Joplin, Mays w/ Minn etc...

peterose4hof
06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Well said Blair. You eloquently expressed what I was thinking when I asked those questions.

I would add that if this is your first time going and you can afford the VIP pass go ahead and get it. Then if you decide to return in subsequent years you can decide if it was worth the extra cost.

Bosox Blair
06-26-2012, 11:19 AM
One more comment about autographs, especially if you are sensitive about the cost of VIP. Last year, I witnessed many people selling these free VIP auto tickets over in the auto area. It seemed to me that the going price for these was about $5. You do get quite a few tickets, so I guess that is one way to make back a fair chunk of your cost, even if you have no interest at all in autos.

(There is probably some rule against doing this, but I saw many people doing it last year.)

Cheers,
Blair

Taxman
06-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Buy the VIP and wear comfortable shoes, bring a backpack, notebook and pen, and if you own an ipad bring it(along with a membership to vintagecardprices)...Finally enjoy!!

HOF Auto Rookies
06-26-2012, 02:33 PM
I have a question, I don't plan on going to the national, but wouldn't mind getting a few autographs, can you submit items to be signed?

peterose4hof
06-26-2012, 03:08 PM
I have a question, I don't plan on going to the national, but wouldn't mind getting a few autographs, can you submit items to be signed?

Yessir. Here's a link to all the info.

http://www.tristarproductions.com/National/mail-order.html

Tedw9
06-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Buy the VIP and wear comfortable shoes, bring a backpack, notebook and pen, and if you own an ipad bring it(along with a membership to vintagecardprices)...Finally enjoy!!

This is my first National and that's my game plan, minus the VIP, exactly.

I do collect autos, but I'll be there to hunt for a nice big ticket item (big for my budget) or some steals.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you guys there and at the Net 54 get together on Friday.

HOF Auto Rookies
06-26-2012, 04:49 PM
When do they announce future locations of the National? I would love to go sometime if it's somehwere in the midwest.

Jaybird
06-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Chicago next year; Cleveland 2014, I believe.

Jcfowler6
06-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Thanks guys! I'm psyched about going. If I can pull it off I am going with the VIP package.

Not sure I can do one for me and one of my sons. Would there be any foreseeable issues if I only did one VIP and the other regular admission?

Regards
Jon

Jaybird
06-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Your son won't be allowed in the Champagne room

Bosox Blair
06-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Not sure I can do one for me and one of my sons. Would there be any foreseeable issues if I only did one VIP and the other regular admission?

Regards
Jon

You would be split up for 1/2 hour if the VIP person took advantage of early admission each day.

Also, last year the VIP person could attend a special welcome event with extra auto guests present there...Non-VIP would not get into that function.