PDA

View Full Version : Identification of Ruth & Gehrig Cards

Buythatcard
06-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm trying to help out a customer of mine in identifying the following 2 cards that are displayed.

I know that the best place for help is here at Net54.

The Gehrig card measures 3 5/8" x 2 3/8"

The Ruth card measures 3" x 1 3/8"

Any help would be appreciated.

Cardboard Junkie
06-24-2012, 01:31 PM
I think they might be fake. Typewriter used on the backs seem to be the same typewriter (notice how the "e" on both cards drop below the average line of type. I have seen similar attempts to change the pics that appear on the covers (front or back) of paperback books.....cut them off (they are thicker than paper but thinner than cardboard. Type on the backs or leave them blank. Of course artificial ageing can be attempted too.
Not saying those cards ARE fake just saying they SEEM fake to me.
My 2cents worth. Dave.

Leon
06-24-2012, 04:27 PM
The Gehrig is a fantasy piece based on his '25 Exhibit. The Ruth is, I believe, based on a Headin Home card. Both are new "copies" imo.....

Bocabirdman
06-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Hello All, This is my first post. The two cards in question are mine. I got them mixed in with some legitimate Pre-war cards. The fella that sold them to me didn't know anything about them. They really didn't enter into the cost of the pile.
Thank you both for offering up the information I needed. Buythatcard, thanks for posting this for me.
I suspected that they were not "real" as I had never seen them in 45 years around the hobby, but a guy can hope can't he?:)

Leon
06-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Happens all the time Bocabirdman. Not a big deal....and technically I don't recall that exact pose of Ruth in the Headin Home series but it has that look. My guess stays the same.....

Hello All, This is my first post. The two cards in question are mine. I got them mixed in with some legitimate Pre-war cards. The fella that sold them to me didn't know anything about them. They really didn't enter into the cost of the pile.
Thank you both for offering up the information I needed. Buythatcard, thanks for posting this for me.
I suspected that they were not "real" as I had never seen them in 45 years around the hobby, but a guy can hope can't he?:)

Bocabirdman
06-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Happens all the time Bocabirdman. Not a big deal....and technically I don't recall that exact pose of Ruth in the Headin Home series but it has that look. My guess stays the same.....

For what it's worth, I scrolled through literally 1000 internet Babe Ruth images and could not find that exact pose.

On another point, did you notice that the NY on Babe's cap has been scratched out on the printing plate?

Matthew H
06-24-2012, 07:40 PM
Burnt edges usually means bunk card

Bocabirdman
06-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Burnt edges usually means bunk card

Matt,,,,The edges on the Ruth are not burnt. What it exactly is, I am not sure. It is not singed though. Bunk, it is, however