PDA

View Full Version : 1993 Finest Refractor Baseball Set

T206BrownHindu
06-24-2012, 07:54 AM
This is the first high profile insert set that I went after (although I didn't start until 1995). I remember buying/trading these in '95 off of some AOL message board (can't recall the name of the board). These cards, for the most part, have held very good value for almost 20 years now. I'm wondering if Topps will have a 20 year anniversary set for this? I look forward to hearing about other stories on this landmark insert set.

Mark

DaClyde
06-24-2012, 08:40 AM
If they do have an anniversary set, I shudder to think of all the parallel versions it will have. You're almost guarateed to see blue, green, purple, gold, red and orange versions, along with the obligatory rainbow of xfractors and possible superfractors. But it is surprising how well the prices and demand have held up.

brett 75
06-24-2012, 01:08 PM
When those came out the price per pack was to high.Nothing close to high end packs now a days . Never bought any at the time but managed to pick up some of the singles of players I liked along the way at good prices . Those did do well compared to the rest of the cards that came out at that time in the hobby . The refractors did very well as I remember. Read somewhere those had a low production some where in the low 100's .Rare compared to the rest of the overproduction at that time. Brett

steve B
06-24-2012, 07:29 PM
If I recall it right it was a bit of a mini scandal too. The timing of the issue was bad, and they took orders in order of when the order was recieved or something. At any rate, a couple big dealers with standing orders got nearly all of them, with other biggish dealers getting a case here and there.

By the time my local shop got any they were $25 a pack. I bought one pack but got nothing.

Steve B

T206BrownHindu
06-24-2012, 09:20 PM
When those came out the price per pack was to high.Nothing close to high end packs now a days . Never bought any at the time but managed to pick up some of the singles of players I liked along the way at good prices . Those did do well compared to the rest of the cards that came out at that time in the hobby . The refractors did very well as I remember. Read somewhere those had a low production some where in the low 100's .Rare compared to the rest of the overproduction at that time. Brett

The number of each refractor that is quoted most often is 241, although some cards are available in much lower numbers, it seems.

4reals
06-30-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm looking to obtain a Piazza or Hershiser Refractor from this set, please email or pm me if you have one to sell. Thanks!