PDA

View Full Version : Card/Auto/Mem... of friend/family/former teammates..

novakjr
06-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Does anyone else collect items of former teammates, family, friends or teammates of family? Or maybe even people you've competed against in the past? If so, show some of your items..

I'll start off with a few ex-teammates of mine. My major sports background was wrestling. So I'll start with a signed UFC card of Gray Maynard who was a teammate of mine on the Ohio Junior National team in 1998. Second is a signed UFC card of Gerald Harris, who was my drill partner at Cleveland State... Also a card of Ben Kelly, who was a teammate of mine on the 1996 Lake Catholic football team..

Also attached is a plastic football from the 1992 Ohio State Championship football game, signed by Joe Jurevicius(plus other stars from the team including my cousin Jim, I also have one single signed by Joe). These were the celebratory balls that were thrown into the crowd by the cheerleaders after a touchdown.

Davy_Kangaroo_Jones
06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
My cousin is Josh Collmenter of the Arizona Diamondbacks.

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/Josh_Collmenter042712.jpg

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/collmjo01.shtml

7nohitter
06-23-2012, 03:30 PM
This thread is a cool idea...
My father pitched AAA in the early-mid 60's for the Colt .45's and Indians....Once he showed me his contract with Houston: $500/month! Wish I knew where it was now.

pariah1107
06-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Received these baseballs from a friend. Former Ellensburg Cowboys batboy (1950-53) Freddie Watterson. There is nothing better than talking to Freddie about former Ellensburg greats Billy Lee, and Dean Nicholson over a couple pints at the Tav. His eyes light up when he talks about this time in his life and the pride he felt pulling on the uniform every Sunday. It may be semi-pro but it may as well have been the Yankees to hear him speak of it.

http://s1074.photobucket.com/albums/w415/pariah1107/1950-53%20Ellensburg%20Cowboys%20Semi-Pro/?action=view&current=EllensburgCowboys1950-53.jpg

drc
06-24-2012, 12:49 AM
My mom was roommates with the future mother of NFL kicker Ali Haji Shiek. Ali's mom's name was Rosemary, and my mom would refer to him as Rosemary's baby.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NsW4EUzFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

BigJJ
06-24-2012, 07:04 AM
Family of hard heads.
Sam Fuld's my cousin and Evel Knievel is my wife's, more distant, cousin.

Jcfowler6
06-24-2012, 04:40 PM
Distant cousin and he and I want to the same high school. Different decades but still. Maz is one of my favorites.

Jeffredsfan
06-24-2012, 05:08 PM
My great uncle, Steve Yerkes, played for the Red Sox (scored the winning run in the final game of the 1912 World Series) the Federal League Pittsburgh Rebels, and the Chicago Cubs. I also believe he was on the coaching staff for Yale University during the time George Bush played.

novakjr
06-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Some nice connections so far. The Yerkes stuff is awesome..

Writehooks
06-24-2012, 10:43 PM
For the past 30 years I have collected photos, posters, programs and other ephemera featuring my friend, longtime Canadian heavyweight boxing champion and world Top 10 contender George Chuvalo. He turned pro in 1956 and retired in 1979 with a record of 73-18-2 (64 KOs) — and reputation for having the greatest chin in boxing history. George was the only guy to fight the heavyweight 'Holy Trinity' of Muhammad Ali (twice), Joe Frazier and George Foreman, and in 93 bouts he was never knocked down. We've been friends since the mid-1980s and recently collaborated on the manuscript for his autobiography, which will be published in the spring of 2013 by Harper Collins (Canada). These two photos depict Chuvalo at a boxing benefit in Calgary in 2011, and in his first bout with Ali (1966). George will turn 75 in September ... but he can still throw a pretty mean left hook.

sycks22
06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Twig was my neighbor for over 10 years and 2 Twins Titles. My goal is to get all of his cards in SGC/PSA. I have around 8 so far.

steve B
06-25-2012, 07:01 AM
For the past 30 years I have collected photos, posters, programs and other ephemera featuring my friend, longtime Canadian heavyweight boxing champion and world Top 10 contender George Chuvalo. He turned pro in 1956 and retired in 1979 with a record of 73-18-2 (64 KOs) — and reputation for having the greatest chin in boxing history. George was the only guy to fight the heavyweight 'Holy Trinity' of Muhammad Ali (twice), Joe Frazier and George Foreman, and in 93 bouts he was never knocked down. We've been friends since the mid-1980s and recently collaborated on the manuscript for his autobiography, which will be published in the spring of 2013 by Harper Collins (Canada). These two photos depict Chuvalo at a boxing benefit in Calgary in 2011, and in his first bout with Ali (1966). George will turn 75 in September ... but he can still throw a pretty mean left hook.

Wow, never knocked down and fought Ali Foreman and Frazier. That's pretty amazing.

Steve B

scmavl
06-25-2012, 01:31 PM
One of my good customers when I managed a neighborhood bank for four years was Don Thompson. He played for the Dodgers in '51, '53, & '54. So he played with Jackie, Duke, Campy... I wasn't that into baseball then and after I left that job and got into baseball, I looked him up. He had died just a few months before. All of the stories he could've told me...

I have the one item of his that was ever made in his playing days, a 1952 La Patrie "poster-sized" card. Just wish I'd had it a few years ago, as I would've loved for him to sign it. I'll try and get a pic of it.

ksfarmboy
06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Here's a couple of game used bats and photo of Woody Jensen. Played minor league ball in Wichita and also played for the Pirates during the 30's. He was a friend of the family. Unfortunately I didn't find the bats or photo until after he passed.