PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite photo.

Lordstan
06-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Okay, so many of you know I collect Lou Gehrig stuff, amongst other things. Somewhere along the way, due to Jimmy's corrupting influence and damn enthusiasm, I got into photos. Type 1, original, or whatever you want to call them, they're all good.
Usually, I prefer pics of him younger, playing, or with family/kids, smiling and projecting the warmth that he became beloved for.

So I found this one and was so moved that I had to buy it. I think it's a type 1, but didn't see the back, but it doesn't matter. I wanted it anyway.
There is something very special about it, almost ethereal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/My%20Lou%20Gehrig%20stuff/LG-1941wakewithkids.jpg

The kids standing in front of him with there gloves and a ball. I don't know...It just struck me.

Wanted to share.
We could use a few heroes like Lou now in sports.
Best,
Mark

Forever Young
06-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Okay, so many of you know I collect Lou Gehrig stuff, amongst other things. Somewhere along the way, due to Jimmy's corrupting influence and damn enthusiasm, I got into photos. Type 1, original, or whatever you want to call them, they're all good.
Usually, I prefer pics of him younger, playing, or with family/kids, smiling and projecting the warmth that he became beloved for.

So I found this one and was so moved that I had to buy it. I think it's a type 1, but didn't see the back, but it doesn't matter. I wanted it anyway.
There is something very special about it, almost ethereal.

http://www.net54baseball.com/picture.php?albumid=229&pictureid=7055

The kids standing in front of him with there gloves and a ball. I don't know...It just struck me.

Wanted to share.
We could use a few heroes like Lou now in sports.
Best,
Mark

Mark, there is no photo pictured(haha).. sounds great though!

Lordstan
06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Ben,
You guys can't see the photo? It shows up on my screen.
Sorry. I'll try to post it again.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/My%20Lou%20Gehrig%20stuff/LG-1941wakewithkids.jpg

Can you see the picture now?

Forever Young
06-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Ben,
You guys can't see the photo? It shows up on my screen.
Sorry. I'll try to post it again.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/VINTAGE-1941-LOU-GEHRIG-NEW-YORK-YANKEE-SCARCE-MEMORIAL-PHOTO-JUNE-1941-/00/s/NTk0WDY2MA==/$(KGrHqJHJCwE+(+!qSieBP2-01UcSQ~~60_3.JPG

Can you see the picture now?

OH WOW.. yeah.. what a WONDERFUL PHOTO!

repsher
06-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Yes, that is a very moving photo.

jgmp123
06-23-2012, 08:01 AM
Mark,

Beautiful photo....I would have loved to find that one...Here's another great one I would love to own...

Tedw9
06-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Wow, what a powerful image.

Can't say that I blame you, that would be one of my favorites too. Thanks for posting it.

Jay Wolt
06-23-2012, 09:04 AM
To me, both those shots are very sad, though powerful.
Personally, I would rather remember the Iron Horse via a photo of him in uniform on the baseball diamond.

jgmp123
06-23-2012, 09:18 AM
The look on Babe's face tells me he cared much more about Lou than he let on....

Lordstan
06-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm glad you felt the same way I did.

Jay,
Normally, I wouldn't buy this type of photo either.
When I am choosing which photo to put funds into, the ones where he is young, vibrant, and smiling always win out. I tend not to pursue photos of him from the 1938-1939 time frame. In most of those, you can clearly see the effect the ALS is having on him. Even after all this time collecting Gehrig, I only recently acquired my first photo of his during the retirement ceremony. I just think they are too sad.

This pic just happen to hit me powerfully. Even the one with Babe wasn't as moving as this one. I found it so poignant that I couldn't resist.
It's the kids with the gloves and ball that does it. It really projects a certain emotional bond between Lou and the kids.

Best,
Mark

carrigansghost
06-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Great photo, kind of moved me also. A great tribute to a great ball player and man. I personally would rather have that tribute than a military salute.

Rawn

GKreindler
06-23-2012, 10:06 AM
It really is a beautiful photo, Mark. I feel like it has a more poignant narrative than most other photos (and their subjects) could even attempt. And you're right about the kids - the gloves and baseball are what really make it. Without them, it's just a few small children looking at a body, but with them, it's a few small children looking at an idol.

It's really that kind of touch that Norman Rockwell would add to his paintings (subject aside) that just made them emotive. Also, it's that kind of touch that makes him that much better than all the rest.

Maybe your best pick-up yet.

Graig

Lordstan
06-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Great photo, kind of moved me also. A great tribute to a great ball player and man. I personally would rather have that tribute than a military salute.

Rawn

I couldn't agree more. Not sure most of current ballplayers would share the same sentiment though. Too bad.

It really is a beautiful photo, Mark. I feel like it has a more poignant narrative than most other photos (and their subjects) could even attempt. And you're right about the kids - the gloves and baseball are what really make it. Without them, it's just a few small children looking at a body, but with them, it's a few small children looking at an idol.

It's really that kind of touch that Norman Rockwell would add to his paintings (subject aside) that just made them emotive. Also, it's that kind of touch that makes him that much better than all the rest.

Maybe your best pick-up yet.

Graig

Graig,
Thanks. Very well stated.

Mark

ethicsprof
06-23-2012, 11:28 AM
A magnificent photo, Mark.
There is something especially transcendental about it, particularly with respect to its simplicity.
No pomp here, just the hearts and admiration of Gehrig's best fans.
In a similar vein, I was impressed with the simplicity of the accoutrements used for the viewing. No need for ostentatious elements when such integrity and
character is present.
many thanks for sharing,
all the best,
barry

frankbmd
06-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Great photo.

Poignant with a touch of humor (hidden ball and gloves)

Reminds my of something Norman Rockwell could have drawn for The Saturday Evening Post.

ruth-gehrig
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
I agree with everything already said about how powerful the picture is! It really says alot. Now in the first picture Gehrig is clearly not in the casket that Babe is viewing him in. Hell it doesn't even look like Gehrig is in a casket with the boys looking on.:confused:

Lordstan
06-23-2012, 08:50 PM
It appears he is lying on a bed of some sort. I don't have it in hand to see if there is any more info or slug describing the scene. When I get it, I'll update the info.

jgmp123
06-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Assuming its two different scenes...a viewing and the funeral.

milkit1
06-24-2012, 09:15 AM
great photo mark! The closest thing I have is this photo from Hal Chase's funeral and a photo of some players standing around Hughie Jennings grave. Im strangely fascinated by this depressing photos and I think this Rube Waddell one takes the cake.

mcgwirecom
06-24-2012, 04:16 PM
I really like the photos. I have a copy of the Ruth viewing Gehrig. I think they are great, but they are also something I doubt they would ever show in this day.

Lordstan
06-24-2012, 08:07 PM
Thanks everybody.

I don't usually go after these type of pictures. I would rather remember them young and vibrant, but there is something special about that particular Gehrig that drew me to it.
There is an ethereal quality that really speaks to the relationship between the Gehrig and the kids. Perhaps I long to feel that innocent youthful hero worship in myself. Wanting to rekindle the lost connection of those days between player and fans.
Alright, I'm getting a bit sappy. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm glad you all liked seeing it.

Best,
Mark

Lordstan
06-27-2012, 09:02 PM
I got the pic today.
Here are my scans.
There are no markings on the back except for what looks like adhesive from being stuck in a scrapbook perhaps.
I feel pretty sure it is vintage to the time period from a paper standpoint.
Clarity is outstanding in person.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/lordstan/My%20Lou%20Gehrig%20stuff/LG-1941wakewithkidsbk.jpg

I am very happy with the pic. It is more moving in person.

Davy_Kangaroo_Jones
06-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow, that Rube photo is really wild.