PDA

View Full Version : How did I get this for so cheap?

zljones
06-22-2012, 08:21 PM
I know this is not in great condition and I know it's raw. I was ready to drop $300-$350 on it in auction but ended up winning for $235. Did luck out or is there something I am missing with the listing. The card is 100% authentic, how did I do so well? Here is the ebay auction link too http://www.ebay.com/itm/270997055490

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 08:24 PM
You claim the card is 100% authentic, but it doesn't look authentic. The colors look too washed out. Maybe that is why you did so well - because it is a worthless reprint.

Matthew H
06-22-2012, 08:32 PM
It looks ok... You'll know soon enough. If it's real you got a great deal!

bbcard1
06-22-2012, 08:32 PM
You claim the card is 100% authentic, but it doesn't look authentic. The colors look too washed out. Maybe that is why you did so well - because it is a worthless reprint.

Stuff ends up up and down on ebay...just how it goes. See recent thread on ordinary commons that sold for a lot more that they should have. Probably fine. You didn't ask for opinions on authenticity...I am of the opinion it's sort of trolling when someone just throws that out there without the opinion being asked for.

sycks22
06-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Did you notice that most of the cards he sells are all $1-$15? I hope the card is real, but tons of feedback doesn't always mean the guy is legit. You got a nice price if it turns out to be good, congrats.

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 08:51 PM
I am of the opinion it's sort of trolling when someone just throws that out there without the opinion being asked for

He asked why the card went so cheap. I told him why and clearly stated the reason why. That should be a major concern for the OP. If you think I am a troll for trying to help someone out, then so be it.....

zljones
06-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Those are actual photos I took of the card here at home. I compared it to my other 41 play balls and it is completely real. But it appears it does not picture well in the auction and my pics. It kinda looks like a reprint on photo but as I hold it right now it looks a lot better than the pics, it's real though no doubt.

Matthew H
06-22-2012, 08:55 PM
Bobby, why do you think it's fake? 1941 PB cards have a washed out look to them. I don't see any obvious indicators from the photo or the auction.

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 09:00 PM
1941 Play Balls DO NOT have a washed out look to them...let me show you a couple of pics of what the colors are supposed to look like....these are in the PSA 1-2 range....

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1941-PLAY-BALL-71-JOE-DIMAGGIO-PSA-2-/00/s/MTA2Nlg2MjQ=/$(KGrHqZ,!qwE-YohbfpKBPws8f(v2w~~60_12.JPG

http://joesvintagesportscards.com/Merchant2/graphics/NewGraded_Pics/G1_19386817.jpg

If I were the OP, I would get that card graded as soon as possible. That way, if it is deemed a fake, he can get his money back. No sense in paying $200+ for a card worth $5 at best.

bbcard1
06-22-2012, 09:04 PM
1941 Play Balls DO NOT have a washed out look to them...let me show you a couple of pics of what the colors are supposed to look like....these are in the PSA 1-2 range....

I'm not sure those are legit....

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm not sure those are legit....

If you don't know if those are legit or not, then you best not give any advice....that is all I can say. I am trying to help the OP. I suggest you get familiar with the hobby.....

T206Collector
06-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Looks like color added to crease, and green color added to scuff in grass.

sycks22
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
If you don't know if those are legit or not, then you best not give any advice....that is all I can say. I am trying to help the OP. I suggest you get familiar with the hobby.....

You don't know either, but at least I'm not claiming that I'm 100% correct.

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 09:18 PM
??????? Whoa!!! I am totally confused here! Where did I say I was 100% correct. I said the card LOOKS fake. The OP said it is not. I suggested he get the card graded ASAP before his time to return the card expires. Noone wants to willingly pay $200+ for a $5 reprint. I am offering this advice to HELP the OP. Some of you guys seem to be on some kind of ulterior motive kick. The OP can do what he wants. I am offering very sound advice however, that would be wise to heed.

sycks22
06-22-2012, 09:22 PM

"Because it's a worthless reprint"

That sounds like a statement confirming that you're correct.

MW1
06-22-2012, 09:25 PM
The card is real, although there have been some color touch-ups. Still, congratulations on a good value! Normally, it's a $400 card in that condition. Color and print quality vary considerably on the 1941 Play Ball DiMaggio.

zljones
06-22-2012, 09:27 PM
I keep staring at it, and yup it's completely real, my only worry is the grade I would get as it could get an AUTH for all I know. I wish I had a scanner then that would help give a much better pic, but I am happy because the picture in the auction looked a little fuzzy, but I felt 90% sure it was real. But now that I got I have no doubt on the authenticity.

zljones
06-22-2012, 09:29 PM
The card is real, although there have been some color touch-ups. Still, congratulations on a good value! Normally, it's a $400 card in that condition. Color and print quality vary considerably on the 1941 Play Ball DiMaggio.

You and T206 collector very well maybe correct but I still did get it for good price even with the touchups. Thanks I am really happy :)

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Here is a nice one with color touch that PWCC sold for $280.

http://host.jwcinc.net/712533/brent/may2012/134_7_1.jpg

I am asking because I want to learn - where is the color touch on the OP card? On the PWCC it is obvious to see it, but I can't see it on this one....

Matthew H
06-22-2012, 09:30 PM
He said its in hand. If you can't tell a fake without PSAs word, maybe it's you that needs to learn something

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 09:32 PM
He said its in hand. If you can't tell a fake without PSAs word, maybe it's you that needs to learn something

yes, little Matt...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MnRU6I12IGI/TkycU0UyVtI/AAAAAAAAPrU/aPCjrTBGeGo/s1600/troll+wishnik.jpg

Enough of the peanut gallery talk....the OP wanted to know why he got the card cheap. He got the card cheap because with the scans he showed, the card looks fake. The washed out colors should be obvious to anyone who is familiar with the issue. If you are not, then I showed scans of what the colors are supposed to look like. He said the card is real. Congrats to the OP on the great deal.

Matthew H
06-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Nice troll. You should get slabbed right away

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 09:37 PM
I will call SGC on monday.

sycks22
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
Don't call PSA they're on day 21 on a 5 day service with my card. What a joke. I love SGC, great customer service and willing to work with ya.

T206Collector
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
I am asking because I want to learn - where is the color touch on the OP card? On the PWCC it is obvious to see it, but I can't see it on this one....

Purple and blue marker in the crease, green marker on the scuff mark in the grass.

bobbyw8469
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Don't call PSA they're on day 21 on a 5 day service with my card. What a joke. I love SGC, great customer service and willing to work with ya.

It was just tongue in cheek response to the flippant response I got. I can dish it out with the best of them Pete. You are right about PSA. Their turnaround times have gotten slow.

whitehse
06-22-2012, 10:13 PM
Not trying to start flaming but Bobby, I am just curious as to how many of these Play Balls you own. How can you dismiss this card as a reprint right off the bat? Is this a set you are an expert on? How many of the Play Balls have you had in your collection?

Again, not trying to start a flame war but just trying to understand from where you are coming from.

Matthew H
06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
I wasn't really referring to color. I guess we misunderstood each other. I've had plenty of playballs, all raw. They seem to have a washy look to them. Maybe it's the pastel color. The only convincing playball fakes I've seen are from 1940. I have a Baker that I've had for years and I'm still not quite sure.

BTW. Those scans you posted look color corrected. In hand, I bet they're lighter.

Batter67up
06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
What about the back of this card. This is what would concern me because it looks like the artificial aging we often see on vintage reprints. Not saying its a fake but that is why I would get it graded.

zljones
06-22-2012, 11:12 PM
I wasn't really referring to color. I guess we misunderstood each other. I've had plenty of playballs, all raw. They seem to have a washy look to them. Maybe it's the pastel color. The only convincing playball fakes I've seen are from 1940. I have a Baker that I've had for years and I'm still not quite sure.

BTW. Those scans you posted look color corrected. In hand, I bet they're lighter.

+1 indeed the colors are a little different than the pics. This card is not photogenic lol

Fred
06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
I hope it's real, if so, you've got yourself a nice card for a reasonable price. If it's not real you have a 14 day return policy to get your money back. Good luck.

zljones
06-23-2012, 01:01 AM
Here is a comparison with two other great 41 Play Balls that I have all in about the same condition from different sellers. The Ted Williams was from battersbox on ebay. As you can see the Pee Wee Reese has the "aged back" look, but really it is just aging or maybe printing. 41 Playball is far from perfect but still breathtaking, that's why I am working on a HOF subset.

FrankWakefield
06-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Have you illuminated it with a black light?

howard38
06-23-2012, 08:04 AM
/

JasonD08
06-23-2012, 08:25 AM
The card is real with color added period. Anyone who has owned several examples of these know that the color varies in the Dimaggio. The bargain was due to added color.

Exhibitman
06-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Low end cards vary in price, especially in the last few years. I collect almost exclusively at that end of the spectrum and I usually pick up cards well below 'market' price, especially when it is popular cards from mainstream sets. FUGly though they may be to some, these all went well below 'book' on Ebay and I was pleased to get them:

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/1952%20Topps%20Robinson.JPG
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/1957%20Mantle.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibitman/dropins/websize/1953%20Topps%20Paige.jpg

And stuff sometimes sails under the radar on Ebay even if it is good. You just never know.

zljones
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Low end cards vary in price, especially in the last few years. I collect almost exclusively at that end of the spectrum and I usually pick up cards well below 'market' price, especially when it is popular cards from mainstream sets. FUGly though they may be to some, these all went well below 'book' on Ebay and I was pleased to get them:

And stuff sometimes sails under the radar on Ebay even if it is good. You just never know.

Those are nice beaters!

glynparson
06-23-2012, 01:23 PM
price seems about right for a low grade altered card without great eye appeal. In my opinion.

kcohen
06-23-2012, 02:08 PM
OK. Let's diffuse this argument and all agree, real or fake, that you got hosed.

bobbyw8469
06-23-2012, 02:42 PM
OK. Let's diffuse this argument and all agree, real or fake, that you got hosed. ]

I don't think he got hosed. If the card is fake, then yea, he got hosed. If the card is real, then he did OK. By the way, that is a nice looking 1953 Paige! If that is considered a beater, then count me in on the beater fan club!

zljones
10-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Ok I sent this to the SGC, and got results like many members said, it had coloring on it; therefore, it didn't get a slab. They did not say it's not real though, authentic, just not good enough to get an AUTH encasing. Now the crappy thing is I now have to sell this :mad:

bbcarddan
10-21-2012, 03:41 PM
I just read all the posts here and got caught up. You were happy with it at the time of purchase why would you need to sell it now? I am no expert but I don`t see where color was added. At least now you know it is not a reprint and the real deal.
Why would it not get an Auth holder if it is authentic? I ask because I have never dealt with any card graders and don`t know the in`s and out`s of the process.

zljones
10-21-2012, 03:51 PM
I just read all the posts here and got caught up. You were happy with it at the time of purchase why would you need to sell it now? I am no expert but I don`t see where color was added. At least now you know it is not a reprint and the real deal.
Why would it not get an Auth holder if it is authentic? I ask because I have never dealt with any card graders and don`t know the in`s and out`s of the process.

I am selling it because of ongoing financial issues brought on because of a paycut at work, so I have to sell most of my cards to pay off bills. I chose this one to sell because I wanted to spare others I charished more. I sent this to SGC so I could actually sell it, if I did not there would be those that would doubt the authenticity. Believe me I hate to let this baby go. And I also am puzzled it did not get slabbed, an AUTH holder would have been nice.

rainier2004
10-21-2012, 04:28 PM
I am selling it because of ongoing financial issues brought on because of a paycut at work, so I have to sell most of my cards to pay off bills. I chose this one to sell because I wanted to spare others I charished more. I sent this to SGC so I could actually sell it, if I did not there would be those that would doubt the authenticity. Believe me I hate to let this baby go. And I also am puzzled it did not get slabbed, an AUTH holder would have been nice.

Dont you have to check the "authentic" box for the slab, or so I have heard.

zljones
10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Dont you have to check the "authentic" box for the slab, or so I have heard.

There is no option for that on this tag they attached. I would think since they made a SGC label that classifies it as 1941 Playball Dimaggio it would be good enough.

packs
10-21-2012, 05:56 PM
On the submission form there is a box you can check if you will accept an AUTH grade. They won't grade your card AUTH unless you tell them that's an acceptable grade.

zljones
10-21-2012, 06:01 PM
On the submission form there is a box you can check if you will accept an AUTH grade. They won't grade your card AUTH unless you tell them that's an acceptable grade.

O I see, rookie mistake on my part, this was my first submission. :o

packs
10-21-2012, 06:04 PM
It's easy to miss. I found out the hard way too when I got a card back that was trimmed. If you call them they might work out a deal where you can just pay shipping and get the card slabbed rather than paying for a new submission from scratch.

alanu
10-21-2012, 06:05 PM
In my experience you have to be careful when you choose "yes" to encapsulate cards as authentic, because when you go to print your invoice to send to SGC it switches to "no" so you have to cross it out and handwrite in "yes". I called SGC and they told me it's a glich in their system. Not sure if everyone has this issue.

-Alan

Jay Wolt
10-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Here's a Buchner I have that was graded Auth due to color added.
Someone added a bit or orange to his hair to cover up a scuff or loss of paper.
I bought it already graded this way.

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/1245315006.jpg

bbcarddan
10-21-2012, 06:38 PM

Sorry about your financial issues, I never took something like that into account. I assumed your selling was related to the card only. Hope your situation improves for you soon!

zljones
10-21-2012, 06:41 PM
Sorry about your financial issues, I never took something like that into account. I assumed your selling was related to the card only. Hope your situation improves for you soon!

I'm on looking real hard for a new job, so hopefully something will hit soon. At least for now I get to keep some cards, so at least not all have to go.

ls7plus
10-21-2012, 06:52 PM
It's certainly not that difficult to tell if the card is real vs rescreened, i.e., a reprint or counterfeit made by taking a picture of a real card. Just check the print dot pattern, especially along the inner and outer black border lines and those around the name at the bottom of the card, as well as the name itself. As concerns the borders themselves, if they're straight and true, instead of comprised of an irregular dot pattern making them fuzzy under magnification (I suggest a 16x loupe), the card is almost certainly real. The dot pattern for Joe's uniform and face should also be regular (meaning linear), rather than seemingly random. As someone else also suggested, insofar as alterations are concerned, a black light can be quite "illuminating." In the early days of TPG, virtually every dealer buying raw cards brought his loupe to his table, not only to check dot patterns, but the card's edges (to determine if the card had been run through a paper press and thereby minutely enlarged, then cut back down to size to eliminate worn corners, thus producing "new" sharp corners. There used to be several fairly well-known dealers specializing in such altered cards before TPG really took hold, who would sell such cards as NMt-Mt. TPG has, IMHO, been of immense benefit to the hobby by putting these scammers out of business!

Hope this helps in the future,

Larry

tbob
10-21-2012, 08:57 PM
In my experience you have to be careful when you choose "yes" to encapsulate cards as authentic, because when you go to print your invoice to send to SGC it switches to "no" so you have to cross it out and handwrite in "yes". I called SGC and they told me it's a glich in their system. Not sure if everyone has this issue.

-Alan

Thanks for mentioning this Alan, I had this happen to me recently and I had to resubmit a card in the next shipment and pay the full price again. That is a weird glitch they have :(

zljones
10-21-2012, 09:23 PM
I just listed this on Ebay tonight http://www.ebay.com/itm/290797533491?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649.

MikeGarcia
10-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Al long last we have found an honest E-Bay seller. Thank you sir.