PDA

View Full Version : Watchers vs. Lurkers

GregMitch34
06-22-2012, 04:35 PM
This is probably old hat here, but I wonder how to judge interest in any particular auction at eBay. I recently had a card up with 11 watchers that earned exactly one bid, at the one second to go mark, but at about half what I hoped to sell it for. My worst single sale in somewhat limited eBay history. And this was NOT a sexy card that people would want to watch to just see how it made out. So 10 people watched, for no reason I can fathom, and did not bid even at low price. How so?

Matthew H
06-22-2012, 04:44 PM
If it's common, some of those watchers could have the same card and are just watching to see what theirs might sell for. I do that to cards I'm considering selling.

Also keep in mind, if the card is common, some watchers may have already picked one up or found a better one to watch.

glchen
06-22-2012, 04:53 PM
I agree w/ the previous post. Most watchers probably already have that card, and want to see the market price that it's going for. Also, if you did not start your auction at 0.99, but at a higher price, some of the watchers may be seeing that if your auction ends with no bids, to then ask you if you'd be willing to accept a lower price on your card.

Luke
06-22-2012, 05:15 PM
I know I sometimes just get busy and don't follow through on auctions I'm watching.

FrankWakefield
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Some watchers have one that they're considering selling, they're watching to see how yours does... Some watchers intended to bid, but got distracted. The bidder could have been a watcher, still, 11 watchers and 1 bid seems unfortunate for you.

ZernialFan
06-22-2012, 07:19 PM
I will follow items I have to see at what $ they close. Sometimes I will
collect a list to follow that I have interest and my final decision on what to bid on may not include all on the list vs $ to spend.

Charlie

alanu
06-22-2012, 07:24 PM
I usually "watch" cards that I have snipe bids set to go. It could be that a lot of your watchers had lower snipe bids that never registered because the high bid got in first.

martingale
06-22-2012, 07:29 PM
What time did your auction end?

If your auction was set to end during working hours, or in the evening while the Heat/Thunder game was going on, it's possible that watchers either "forgot" or were unable to bid (happens to me all the time).

z28jd
06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
I usually just watch items to make people think there is interest in their card. Usually get some friends to do it too so it really confuses the seller when he only gets one bid

Deertick
06-22-2012, 09:12 PM
I usually just watch items to make people think there is interest in their card. Usually get some friends to do it too so it really confuses the seller when he only gets one bid

HA! My theory DOES have merit!!!

steve B
06-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Ok, I'm probably one of the people that confuses sellers.

I typically have close to 200 items in watching, sometimes more, the overage gets minimal bids especially if it's a .99 start. but I don't bid on many of them.
Sometimes it starts low and I watch it to see if it stays low and I'm too lazy to drop it when it goes beyond the price I'd pay.
Some are BINs that I may overpay for someday, but not just now.
Others are cards I want to save the pics of- There may be some special oddity that makes it interesting but not "I have to have it" interesting.

And sometimes I have stuff in watching totally intend to bid, but something more interesting comes up that ends a few days later.

I hate having to choose like that, but it's just the reality of the collecting budget.

Steve B
(If the watching really bugs someone and they want to let me clear the watch list on their tab .........:D Didn't think so, but no harm in putting it out there.)

Exhibitman
06-23-2012, 11:56 AM
I watch a ton of stuff I have no intention of bidding for just to see where the items end. If I want something I drop a placeholder bid at the minimum [so the seller knows there's interest] and put it on my snipe list.

novakjr
06-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Some sellers are confused by watchers. There's a card that I've been watching for over a year now, with a $50 BIN. I have ZERO interest in paying that much, especially given it's condition, the card is maybe worth $10-15 at best. Back in Feb, I sent the seller a message asking if he'd be willing to sell it for $25(I was being generous). And the guy replied that he's got alot of watchers and he was confident that he'd get the $50. Needless to say it's still there.

In this case the seller is clearly confused, and I'll assume that most watchers are watching for the same reason that I am. Not because they're interested in the item for the price, but because they're waiting for the guy to put it on sale for a significant price drop..

In some cases where an auction is being watched, but barely any bid, could be that they're waiting for the item to not sell, and be re-listed at a lower price..