PDA

View Full Version : Advise Needed.. WWYD?

bcookie
06-22-2012, 01:59 PM
This question is about my set i have on ebay, it is currently at $2025 and ends tomorrow night. I have an interested buyer willing to pay $4000 today. i have a reserve set at $3800 and he knows this.

WWYD?

If i have the auction run through and it ends for $4000, i would be charged $123 in eBay fees.. so ending it early would get me $123 more.

As of right now, there are 30 watchers and 511 page views

peterose4hof
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Let the auction run its course. Since you have a reserve set, the lowest you will get is $3800. Odds are, if one person is willing to pay $4K then someone else is willing to pay that or more; especially with that many watchers.

Good luck!

D. Bergin
06-22-2012, 02:12 PM
I would let it ride out of respect for the people who have already bid on the auction, or have it on watch.

That's just me though.

Jaybird
06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
30 watchers is a good number. I would expect with that many watchers that it would reach it's full value. What is the value of that set? I'm assuming you did your research and put the reserve at what the value is.

Yes, you'd net $123 more off-line but next time you put a set up, people might be wary to bid with you knowing that you pull items?

Just something to weigh into your decision.

zljones
06-22-2012, 02:20 PM
If you let it ride please update as to how much the final price was.

daves_resale_shop
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
I would let it ride out of respect for the people who have already bid on the auction, or have it on watch.

That's just me though.

+1 your call as to what you want to do, but in fairness to the existing bidders/watchers I personally would ride it out...

wonkaticket
06-22-2012, 02:34 PM
http://photos.imageevent.com/piojohn3/net54ns/ber0-007%20copy.jpg

Matthew H
06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
29 watchers. Don't count me I'm just a looky loo :)

christopher.herman
06-22-2012, 02:48 PM
With 30 watchers ending it early is leaving money on the table. You have a reserve for a reason. Let the auction run it's course.

FrankWakefield
06-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Tell the buyer the reserve is $3800, out of respect to the other bidders and watchers you're going to let the auction continue, and you wish him good luck with it and hope he wins. That way he can bid $4k, it'll show he's top bidder at $3800, and he can see where it lands...

Exhibitman
06-22-2012, 03:21 PM
If you are pleased to sell it at $4K, cancel the auction and sell it. There's an old saying: pigs get slaughtered. I've had a number of auctions where I've offered the seller more offline to close out than the item ended for when the auction took its course. Having an auction with a reserve is a little different than otherwise--you will know the top bidder's max price because it will stall out below the reserve. If the item doesn't reach close to the reserve, congratulations, you just provided the putative buyer with a market-based reason to rescind his offer.

vintagetoppsguy
06-22-2012, 03:41 PM
If you are pleased to sell it at $4K, cancel the auction and sell it. There's an old saying: pigs get slaughtered. I've had a number of auctions where I've offered the seller more offline to close out than the item ended for when the auction took its course. Having an auction with a reserve is a little different than otherwise--you will know the top bidder's max price because it will stall out below the reserve. If the item doesn't reach close to the reserve, congratulations, you just provided the putative buyer with a market-based reason to rescind his offer.

Agreed. Take the money. A bird in the hand...

As far as being fair to the other watchers/bidders...fair doesn't pay the bills. Money does.

Bicem
06-22-2012, 04:22 PM

isn't the saying pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered?

I'd prob gamble and let it run it's course since $4000 vs $3800 minus fees isn't a huge difference and there could be upside.

For $4200 I'd end it though.

Ronnie73
06-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Let the auction finish. Most bids happen in the last minute. I've had auctions ended early on me and when i find out what was paid, my max bid is usually higher than the dealer accepted. While on a what to do topic, why do some ebay sellers put a card at $150 or best offer and then it ends with as offer for $25. I hate that because i would have paid $40 but figuring your asking way more than its worth, i would just be waisting my time making an offer.

djrhanover
06-22-2012, 05:04 PM
Before you decide to end the auction it would benefit you to check the buyer's feedback and previous purchases. That might give you an indication as to whether he will go through with his offer. Otherwise, you'll end up relisting and incurring more fees. Just a thought.

martingale
06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Let the auction run. The offer of $4000 is just 5% above you reserve, not an aggressive/generous premium.

Your worst case scenario is the auction ends between $3,800-$4,100 which implies a $23-$323 loss for you relative to accepting the $4,000 offer.

Based on 30 watchers+511 views, I think your upside potential is too much to give up vs. the limited downside risk.

71buc
06-22-2012, 07:15 PM
I recently offered a seller $75 for a photo. He responded that my offer was appreciated but would prefer not to close the auction. He then posted my offer under questions asked so others would be aware of what I was willing to spend. I spent the money on another photo before his auction ended. I later saw he sold his photo for $33.49. Obviously you are talking about significantly more money but based on my small scale example I don't know that I would risk it.

rhettyeakley
06-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I'd start the 25th new thread about this collection of Baguer cards & advertise your active ebay listing on the front page of the forum...

To actually answer your question... If you end it it will likely piss off a few potential buyers, if you let it run its course then there will be less pissed off and with the reserve I don't even see the dilemma... let it run its course and if it doesn't sell for your reserve you sell it to the guy that wants to give you $4000... problem solved!!!

bbcard1
06-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I would let it run its course. That said, I am wrong sometimes.

Shoeless Moe
06-22-2012, 08:17 PM
If I were you, I'd shill bid it up to the amount you want!

Sincerely,

Jake Sullivan

camlov2
06-22-2012, 09:28 PM
If it goes a great deal less than 4k I would be concerned your current offer might be reduced.

MW1
06-22-2012, 10:45 PM
I would wait. The integrity of your auctions is more important than making another $300 or so on the set. Think long term.

atx840
06-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Nwwyd?

calvindog
06-23-2012, 06:33 AM
i'd start the 25th new thread about this collection of baguer cards & advertise your active ebay listing on the front page of the forum...

lol

FrankWakefield
06-23-2012, 06:56 AM
So this is about the Baguer cards... I used to want one of those. But no more. Sell them to someone who has never heard of this board, and who never will. Then we can be done with them. Golly.

Jewish-collector
06-23-2012, 07:42 AM
Tell the guy offering to buy it about this message board & let him give us all his thoughts. :D

gnaz01
06-23-2012, 08:28 AM
So this is about the Baguer cards... I used to want one of those. But no more. Sell them to someone who has never heard of this board, and who never will. Then we can be done with them. Golly.

If this is about that set I don't see any reserve set on it. Usually it will say something like "reserve not met" or "reserve met" but I don't see that :confused:

peterose4hof
06-23-2012, 08:56 AM
When I looked at the auction it says Reserve Not Met right underneath the bid amount.

gnaz01
06-23-2012, 09:15 AM
When I looked at the auction it says Reserve Not Met right underneath the bid amount.

OK, I see it. On the iPad version, it doesn't show it.

peterose4hof
06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
OK, I see it. On the iPad version, it doesn't show it.

Ebay's mobile apps leave alot to be desired. In addition to the missing "Reserve Not Met" if someone is offering a card for sale with the Buy-It-Now or Best Offer, the Best Offer part doesn't show up.

drc
06-23-2012, 05:38 PM
I think it's good for future good will to let the auction run. However, I see a distinct difference between an auction that has and that has not met the reserve. When it has not met reserve, the current bidders are keenly aware that their high bids are not sufficient to win the lot. In fact, it has not met reserve because they've chosen not to meet the reserve.

Pup6913
06-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Looks like you made reserve and minus the fees still did good for the minimum amount you paid for it and all the annoying threads about the same cards a bit of your own research would have solved

FrankWakefield
06-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Reckon the next thread will be about how the buyer gets his money back from Paypal, claiming he didn't get the little cards, so then what's a seller to do... This isn't over. There's bound to be another thread.

Matthew H
06-23-2012, 11:01 PM
I think you did the right thing... You had an honest auction.

ullmandds
06-24-2012, 12:15 AM
I love the angst!!! There are a few people I'd like to hole up in a box so they can't participate in threads!!!

frankbmd
06-26-2012, 06:03 AM
I love the angst!!! There are a few people I'd like to hole up in a box so they can't participate in threads!!!

Warm up the drill.:D