PDA

View Full Version : 1914 Buffalo Team Photo - Hal Chase?

Shoeless Moe
06-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Can someone tell me if Hal Chase is in this team photo and which one he is?

milkit1
06-19-2012, 01:42 PM
I do not see him on that photo.

Shoeless Moe
06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
I think he could be possibly one of these 2, and it is a 1914 Buffalo Federal League team photo which he was a member of, so odd if he wasn't in the photo. Hmmm

Bugsy
06-19-2012, 01:57 PM
I think he could be possibly one of these 2, and it is a 1914 Buffalo Federal League team photo which he was a member of, so odd if he wasn't in the photo. Hmmm

Depends on the date of the photo. He didn't join Buffalo until late June of 1914. He was also infamous for regularly going AWOL, particularly near the end of the season.

Shoeless Moe
06-19-2012, 02:12 PM
4/13/14

Good info Bugsy, thanks!

Bugsy
06-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Here are a few more details:

"Early in the next season Chase dramatically jumped to the newly formed Federal League. After going hitless against Boston on June 20, he went to Comiskey Park the next morning to pick up his belongings, and gave Comiskey 10 days notice. However, he then went immediately to the North Side Park where he joined the Buffalo Feds. He collected a single and double in four trips before 10,000 appreciative fans. On June 22 Comiskey got an injunction order, but Chase could not be served, having left for Ontario, Canada to await developments. On the 25th, Chase returned to the lineup in Buffalo against Pittsburgh. He struck out in the first inning, and in the second inning was presented with the injunction order by the local sheriff. On July 1, Chase brought suit in Buffalo to vacate the injunction. The case began on July 9 and on July 21 the Judge ruled in favor of Chase. He returned to the lineup the next day."

http://research.sabr.org/journals/hal-chase-case

bmarlowe1
06-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Chase is not in your photo.

The guy you pointed to in the bottom row has been identified as Dwight Wertz, though I can't confirm if that is correct. The guy you pointed to in the back row is very likely Fred Smith.

Shoeless Moe
06-21-2012, 09:03 AM
It's actually not my photo, but one in the current Hunt Live Auction. I don't see very many team photos of Federal League teams and thought this one was pretty neat.

Dto7
09-06-2012, 01:53 AM
Can someone tell me if Hal Chase is in this team photo and which one he is?

Names of the players from an old newspaper photo of the same. Middle row has 7 players but just 6 names.

top row-Frank Delahanty, Joe Agler, Russ Ford, Harry Moran, Nick Allen, Earl Moore, Fred Smith, Del Young, Luther Bonin, Tom Downey

middle row- Joe Houser, Charlie Hanford, Perry, Brown, Larry Schlafly, Biff Schlitzer,

bottom row-Dwight Wertz, Ned Pettigrew, Gene Krapp, Art Lavigne, Dan Woodman

Don