PDA

View Full Version : Subject: I got a fake ughhh

RichardSimon
06-19-2012, 08:46 AM
I just got this e mail with that subject:

"Hey saw your site and just wanted to know is there anything I could do. I bought a CSC Ali pic at a auction last weekend and I knew I shouldn't do it when I did, because I know nothing about that stuff, I just got a little suspicious about it and looked it up, it's bunk."

What do they want me to do? Wave my magic wand and get them their money back?
Sorry, but this is just too hopeless a human being. Admitting he knows nothing at all and still buying the bogus autograph.
This is why the forgers will always be out there and having some degree of success,,, it is sad and pathetic.
He bought it at a local auction in NC, looks like the tsunami of bogus sh-- is spreading everywhere.

gnaz01
06-19-2012, 09:02 AM
I just got this e mail with that subject:

"Hey saw your site and just wanted to know is there anything I could do. I bought a CSC Ali pic at a auction last weekend and I knew I shouldn't do it when I did, because I know nothing about that stuff, I just got a little suspicious about it and looked it up, it's bunk."

What do they want me to do? Wave my magic wand and get them their money back?
Sorry, but this is just too hopeless a human being. Admitting he knows nothing at all and still buying the bogus autograph.
This is why the forgers will always be out there and having some degree of success,,, it is sad and pathetic.
He bought it at a local auction in NC, looks like the tsunami of bogus sh-- is spreading everywhere.

From PA to NC, huh?? :D

RichardSimon
06-19-2012, 09:07 AM
From PA to NC, huh?? :D

From FLA to NC.

JimStinson
06-19-2012, 10:34 AM
Sometimes I think that they buy that stuff just to be able to "say" they have a Muhammad Ali autograph or a Mickey Mantle autograph etc. So in that case he probably got a bargain , because if he actually wanted a REAL one he would have went in a different direction from the begining.

thetruthisoutthere
06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Sometimes I think that they buy that stuff just to be able to "say" they have a Muhammad Ali autograph or a Mickey Mantle autograph etc. So in that case he probably got a bargain , because if he actually wanted a REAL one he would have went in a different direction from the begining.

A long time ago, when I first started doing YouTube videos, one of the first things I mentioned about "buyers of forgeries," was the fact that the majority of them simply want "bragging rights."

Just to be able to say to a friend "Hey, check out my Derek Jeter autographed baseball." Of course, he purchased that baseball for $35.00 on Ebay or Coach's Corner.

travrosty
06-19-2012, 10:49 AM
that buyer will just have to realize he paid a "stupid tax". a certificate of authenticity does not make it real. there are several sellers worldwide that are selling the operation bullpen muhammad ali but when i email them and point it out, very gently and in a nice way, and show them proof, they still either won't believe it or they won't acknowledge it.

They have a significant inventory of these "real ali signed photos" and they don't want to throw them all away and take the hit.

They keep selling them knowing they aren't real or else they suspend reality and keep convincing themselves that i don't know what i am talking about and that they have the real deal. That''s what makes it so hard to combat this. Because even a lot of the sellers, who are otherwise decent sellers who didn't know they were peddling fakes, don't want to help stop the perpetuation of these fakes and do the right thing and throw them away. They keep selling them, because they at least want to recoup their investment first.

That is why it is tempting for people who BUY a fake to turn around and resell it even after they know it is a fake. They don't want to be left holding the bag, so they flip it, get their money back or most of it, and let someone else worry about it.

Exhibitman
06-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity. The moment some idiot figures out that it perhaps wasn't the best idea in the whole world to buy an expensive autograph at the local swap meet you can bet the house that he/she will be looking for a daddy figure to go fix it. Ignorance, magical thinking and immaturity go hand in hand.