PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Joe Dimaggio comparison

milkit1
06-16-2012, 10:11 AM
I bought this book back in 1989 "Baseball in the 30's" to get signed by as many as I could. I was only 13 1/2 and had just started collecting signed Goudeys. I would mostly mail the book in to get signed which was a tedious process but between that and shows I got about 75 autographs in it. Anyways, I managed to get Joe Dimaggio twice in person. Each time I saw him I only wanted to pay for one autograph as I thought he was quite pricey (he was charging $8 then). The time between getting the two autographs was a few years and I notice now how different and weird the page 132 one looks. Does anyone else have a post 1990 Joe autograph that looks similar? I am afraid if I ever want to sell it (though I probably wont) that having two Joe autographs that look totally different might scare buyers away?

mr2686
06-16-2012, 11:20 AM
In person Dimaggio circa August 1991

milkit1
06-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks Mike! For the life of me I cant remember which one I got first. I am assuming that I got the first one first as it is a better photo but i really dont know?

RichardSimon
06-16-2012, 06:26 PM
The one on page 140 is the prototypical Joe D show autograph.
The one on page 132 certainly looks like it could have been signed at the end of a long day of signing.
Was that the case here?

milkit1
06-16-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi Richard

yeah it more then likely was. Joe was never really a chipper kind of fella so it is hard to say. Im presuming I got the more regular signature first as the photo is nicer and its next to a bio of Joe where the other photo is a little more generic. I thought maybe he signature changed a bit as he got older but more then likely its what you said about him just being tired.
I just wonder if the page 132 one was sent to an authentication place (once again, Im not going to obviously) if it would come back fake? Makes me wonder how many autographs out there that are genuine that get deemed fake due to an inconsistancy.

J.McMurry
06-16-2012, 08:09 PM
I seem to remember Keating making the statement that Dimaggio's show sig varied greatly from start of signing to end of signing and that they may be tough to authenticate years down the road.