PDA

View Full Version : Modern Day Baseball Cards

UOFLfan7
06-14-2012, 08:09 PM
I didn't know where else to put this thread as this forum doesn't have a modern day (1980-Present) baseball card forum so I just put it here which is the closest era.
So, does anybody here collect modern day baseball cards as well as vintage baseball cards, or do you just collect vintage?

Gary Dunaier
06-15-2012, 12:10 AM
To whatever extent it's possible, I'd be interested in seeing a more - I don't know whether to say "serious," "mature, "grownup," "adult," but I think you know what I'm aiming at - approach to modern material than I've seen on other forums, and I think Net 54 can be the place for that. Again, to whatever extent it's possible

steve B
06-15-2012, 06:01 AM
I too would like to see a "good" forum for the modern stuff. I think it might be a hard sell here for a number of reasons, but it might be worth a shot.

Some stuff can be sneaked into this section, I've done it a couple times. Not anything that stretches the feel of things too far, but stuff just outside the 80's

Steve B

ALR-bishop
06-15-2012, 07:20 AM
I have a Topps baseball run, 1948 and 1951 to 2012, and Fleer, 1923 and 1959 to 2007. I also collect all the Topps Heritage sets.

tonyo
06-15-2012, 07:34 AM
I voted "all of the above"

I'm most active in pre-war.
Post-war, pre 1980, I'm currently only looking for one card to complete a hofer type set.
Post 1980, I have an on-going Barry Larkin collection, and am trying to complete a shiny parallel set from the mid 90's. Also keeping my eye out for a particular 2009 A&G silk. Also collecting autographed cards from two mid 90's sets. So, I'm not really buying any new modern product.

UOFLfan7
06-15-2012, 04:06 PM
I too agree that Net54Baseball would be a great place to discuss modern baseball cards too. Judging from the results of my poll, many people here collect not only pre-WW2 and Pre-1980 cards, but also collect Post-1980 baseball cards.

ALR-Bishop: The Topps Heritage cards are really nice! It is a fun set to collect.

Tonyo: Thats one thing that I have always loved about the 1990s-present cards, the autographed and game used inserts!

tonyo
06-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I too agree that Net54Baseball would be a great place to discuss modern baseball cards too. Judging from the results of my poll, many people here collect not only pre-WW2 and Pre-1980 cards, but also collect Post-1980 baseball cards.

ALR-Bishop: The Topps Heritage cards are really nice! It is a fun set to collect.

Tonyo: Thats one thing that I have always loved about the 1990s-present cards, the autographed and game used inserts!

Cameron,

I should have qualified: the autos I'm collecting aren't the inserts, I'm looking for actual traditionally signed base cards in two mid 90's sets.

I missed the beginning of the game used and auto insert trend. I have quite a few game used inserts in my Larkin collection - actually don't think I have any insert autos in my Larkin although I do have about a dozen signed Larkin cards.

Auto and game used inserts (of modern players) are ok I guess. The auto inserts are too expensive though- I'd rather put that money into pre-war stuff.

Can't stand the modern game used and cut signatures of vintage players.

Tony

UOFLfan7
06-15-2012, 11:55 PM
Cameron,

I should have qualified: the autos I'm collecting aren't the inserts, I'm looking for actual traditionally signed base cards in two mid 90's sets.

I missed the beginning of the game used and auto insert trend. I have quite a few game used inserts in my Larkin collection - actually don't think I have any insert autos in my Larkin although I do have about a dozen signed Larkin cards.

Auto and game used inserts (of modern players) are ok I guess. The auto inserts are too expensive though- I'd rather put that money into pre-war stuff.

Can't stand the modern game used and cut signatures of vintage players.

Tony
Haha, the modern auto inserts are extremely expensive for what they are.

I personally like the modern game used and cut signatures of vintage players. I think it is a perfect tribute to the player and makes modern day card collecting extremely fun. Now granted it depends on the qualtiy of the card, but I love the idea. Basically it gives you a chance to own a piece of history, but to each there own I guess haha.

Gary Dunaier
06-16-2012, 10:46 PM
I personally like the modern game used and cut signatures of vintage players . . . . . granted it depends on the qualtiy of the card

It also depends on the original item that was destroyed to create the cut. A signature from a scrapbook or a magazine, that's one thing. But a cut from a letter, a document, or (shudder) a check... that's desecration.

UOFLfan7
06-17-2012, 09:10 AM
It also depends on the original item that was destroyed to create the cut. A signature from a scrapbook or a magazine, that's one thing. But a cut from a letter, a document, or (shudder) a check... that's desecration.

I agree with that, but I was mainly talking about games used jersey and bat cuts. I didn't even know that there were cuts out there that came from a player's personal belongings such as checks, letters, or documents. Not only is that destroying a piece of history, but it also just plain wrong!

Leon
06-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Interesting discussion. Many good board practices have come from members and threads just like this one. I might not be totally opposed to having a newer card section. Since it would be separate from the other sections it wouldn't encroach on the pre or post war stuff already here. Let's see how it goes.

drc
06-17-2012, 01:00 PM
I like the recent years' Topps Chrome and Heritage issues. One shiny and one old-style

yanksfan09
06-17-2012, 06:36 PM
I agree with that, but I was mainly talking about games used jersey and bat cuts. I didn't even know that there were cuts out there that came from a player's personal belongings such as checks, letters, or documents. Not only is that destroying a piece of history, but it also just plain wrong!

The worst is when they make a cut from a photo or something and insert a piece of signed photo into a card, or when they chop off part of the players signature....so stupid.

k-dog
06-17-2012, 09:33 PM
2 and 3 for me. Mostly 60s, 70s and 90s. I do buy a few "new" packs each year just to see what I get! :D

MBMiller25
06-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Although I do have a 5 or 6 80's cards, I am primarily into Post War, up to 1979. Wouldn't have a problem, and would check in on the modern discussions from time to time.

vintagetoppsguy
06-21-2012, 11:44 AM
I voted for options 1 & 2. I have recently sold most of my post '73 stuff to fund other purchases.

Leon
06-21-2012, 12:59 PM
For the record I have already asked my techy guy to help make a forum (since I tried and almost screwed the pooch) for 1980-Modern baseball cards. It will happen in the very near future.... I am sure it won't eat much, squeal too much, require additional insurance or bandwidth...so it should be fine. Heck, I might even comment about stuff every now and then as I do in this forum now.....

Steve Freed.man was able to figure it out so we now have a modern baseball card forum....thanks to Steve!!