PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Caporal Pin with Whitehead & Hoag?

Buythatcard
06-12-2012, 11:49 PM
I just received some Sweet Caporal Pins that I won in an auction. One of the pins actually had a Whitehead & Hoag insert. I've handled hundreds of Sweet Caporals and never saw a back insert like that.

I think that someone actually stuck that in the back on one of their pins.

Unless I have missed something all these years, has anyone ever seen this done before? Why would someone actually do this?

skooter
06-13-2012, 01:59 AM
Some years back I had about 100 of these pins. Every one had a paper insert. Personally, I wouldn't have bought a pin without the insert. But that's just me.

Leon
06-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Maybe there are different kinds but the PX7 Sweet Caporal pins, known as Domino Discs from their backs, should have this kind of back.....

http://luckeycards.com/ppx7sweetcaporalcollins.jpg

scooter729
06-13-2012, 09:32 AM
Howard, from the edges that looks like a P2 pin, right? I have not seen any like that, and with the P2's being issued around 1910, any of the W&H backings like that which I have seen have been on pins issued in the 1890's, so that seems quite interesting if original.

Leon
06-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Howard, from the edges that looks like a P2 pin, right? I have not seen any like that, and with the P2's being issued around 1910, any of the W&H backings like that which I have seen have been on pins issued in the 1890's, so that seems quite interesting if original.

Right, the P2s have a different backing......I have seen the Whitehead and Hoag paper backings on a ton of pins....but not PX7 or P2. Maybe the original one was missing the back and someone just put that one in there so it would have a back? Not sure the reasoning...

http://luckeycards.com/pp2x2.jpg

Buythatcard
06-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Leon,

Loved your Domino Discs. I hear there is a huge market for discs which show any dice that rolled a 7.

Yea, I am beginning to think that someone stuck that insert in. It's funny but that pin was in a plastic top loader marked as Scarce Special Printers Issue.

I plan on posting it on eBay but will have to state that I believe it was inserted by someone. There might be someone who might be interested in it. I am sure I can get at least 99 cents for it.

You never know what you will find these days.

nolemmings
06-13-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm too lazy to help much, but I notice that the Whitehead & Hoag insert has a union symbol similar to one on a Konetchy tribute card that Leon owns, one dated to 1912. That symbol may not have been around in the 1890s--I just don't know. If it was not, then maybe Whitehead & Hoag issued other pins in the 1910-1912 era--this may be no surprise to pin collectors. That would mean whether by accident or on purpose, a W&H back got inserted from some other pin set into the P2. Maybe the job of placing the inserts into pins was farmed out to a company that did it both for Sweet Cap and W&H. Just stoking the fire.