PDA

View Full Version : John Thorn talks baseball cards

Hot Springs Bathers
06-12-2012, 07:35 PM
There is a wonderful piece today on John Thorn's blog Our Game covering a very brief history of baseball cards.

As most of you know Thorn is the Official Historian of Major League Baseball. His blog today in entitled "Rhapsody in Cardboard" and it gives a brief history of cards and more importantly why many of us have our attachment to these little slabs of cardboard.

In no way does he intend this to be an in-depth history of cards but more how it has grown with the history of the game. If you enjoy baseball history I suggest you visit his site it is outstanding every day.

ourgame.mlblog.com

ethicsprof
06-12-2012, 08:13 PM
John Thorn is one of the top scholars in the field of baseball history IMHO.
I have loved his books and enjoyed all that he has offered to this board and
elsewhere for a number of years. I even remember reading one of his early volumes over thirty years ago which was really designed for younger folks but I love it like a kid would!! Baseball's 10 Greatest Games.
Thanks for sharing the blog with us.
all the best,
Barry

Leon
06-13-2012, 02:38 PM
I will echo the previous sentiments. John has been very informative the times he has graced our site with postings. I just went over to his blog for the first time and could have easily spent hours there if I had the time.

If you are reading this Mr.Thorn- thanks again for your information on our site and more good luck to you on your very informative blog. It is professionally done and very entertaining to say the least. kind regards

http://ourgame.mlblogs.com/

Jay Wolt
06-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Mike & Leon, thanks for the link, its quite a treat!