PDA

View Full Version : 1913 movie starring FRANK CHANCE?!?!?

milkit1
06-11-2012, 06:55 AM
Check this out!
supposedly also had cameos by Frank Laporte, Bert Daniles and Ed Sweeney. This would be pretty unbelievable to watch!

also check this out:

http://www.kino.com/announcement/baseball-ny.html

SetBuilder
06-11-2012, 07:44 AM
It's finally out on Blu-Ray!

milkit1
06-11-2012, 08:11 AM
reel baseball is?

Hot Springs Bathers
06-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Sean- Sadly there is no known copy still in existence.

You can check out all of the silent era baseball films by googling Silent Era Baseball Films PSFL. This gives a history of the film including stars plus if any known copies still exist.

It also lists how many reels of film it took to show the film. For some of us oldtimers we can still remember the projector operator having to change to a new reel to finish the movie. I think How the West was Won was the last one I can remember as a kid????? I think too that if you were at a fance theater they had two projectors set up and just instantly switch to the second reel is a somewhat seamless transition? Not something I know much about.

I do collect baseball films and this checklist is fun to look over!

milkit1
06-11-2012, 08:57 AM
yeah mike how cool would it be if this was found. I love seeing the deadball players come to life. ten years ago I was at the academy of motion pictures and asked a guy there why they dont have an investigation bureau solely to look for lost films. he said there wasn't enough money to do this (and they spend millions just for oscar night).

carrigansghost
06-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I worked as a teenager at a few drive-ins and other movie houses, world premire of "The Shining, Magic Lantern, Bridgton Maine". Those old carbon arc machines were a pain. I still watch for the the reel marks in the upper right corner of the old movies.

Rawn

Hot Springs Bathers
06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
Great story Rawn, I'll bet there were fewer mosquitoes up your way at drive-ins than we had down here in Arkansas!

Sean there is a wonderful book by Rob Edelman that details many of the silent and sound baseball films, he is the defacto expert on this genre I believe.

Also Baseball Direct is still selling and maybe Amazon(?) a two dvd set of silent baseball films that does include several that feature or at least have deadball era players in them. It is really amazing to see these players moving around on film that you have collected on T & E cards, wouldn't it be soemthing to see them speak.

Of course Doak Ewing at Rare Sports Films has some great clips from the era I think alll the back to 1913?