PDA

View Full Version : tonight should be FUN on Pawn Stars

GrayGhost
06-11-2012, 06:07 AM
This should be fun on tonights Pawn Stars. Not sure if it is the First or Second episode. And here is a recap. NOTE THE BOLD..and u'll see:)

Pop goes the Pawn Stars when four original paintings by Andy Warhol brush by. Do the guys give these rare works 15 minutes of fame, or just send them back to the factory? Then, a baseball signed by members of the infamous 1919 Chicago Black Sox has Rick and Corey seeing green. Will the guys signal for a steal, or does a tough negotiation knock the price out of the park? And later, a pair of 10k gold sunglasses comes in on the night shift. Can Chumlee and Olivia eye a good deal on these vintage specs, or will the seller have it made in the shade?

jgmp123
06-11-2012, 06:25 AM
Big question is....Who do they bring in to authenticate it...Do we know who the in-store authenticator is for this season?

travrosty
06-11-2012, 06:40 AM
well, they tried out a few different people during the run of the show, and settled on drew max.

GrayGhost
06-11-2012, 06:42 AM
They've also been using this Young guy who runs a store near there. Remember the Matty/Ruth bat and glove fiasco that h e REJECTED?

Im psyched to see this thing. it prob comes Pre certified by Morales, prob a CC special.

jgmp123
06-11-2012, 06:53 AM
I don't just have a Cert, i've got something better...I have one from a forensic examiner.

mighty bombjack
06-11-2012, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I just set it to record (it's the second episode, FYI).

esd10
06-11-2012, 07:30 AM
everyone knows it came from coach's corner and about as real as that gehrig jersey

Leerob538
06-11-2012, 09:09 AM
I seen the Gehrig Jersey episode. That turned me off to the show, in my opinion everything on that show is staged.

mighty bombjack
06-11-2012, 09:11 AM
I seen the Gehrig Jersey episode. That turned me off to the show, in my opinion everything on that show is staged.

It's reality TV. Of course it isn't real.

slidekellyslide
06-11-2012, 11:54 AM
It's reality TV. Of course it isn't real.

It's even less real than you might think...I talked to a friend of mine who is an antiques dealer over the weekend and he told me that a friend of his appeared on the show with a ring pistol that he bought at auction in Omaha for around $1800...the Pawn star guys offered him $8,000 and he turned it down...he told my friend it was scripted that way and that we was of course "not crazy"..he would have gladly accepted the offer, but it wasn't a real offer. It took 6 hours to film just his 4 minute segment because of flubbed lines and writers constantly changing up the line and situation. He also had to sign a confidentiality agreement not to discuss any of this, but apparently he hasn't honored that. :D

travrosty
06-11-2012, 11:58 AM
it's not scripted at all. people routinely bring in a 2 million dollar robosaurus car crushing and eating machine on a regular basis to these pawn shops.

mcgwirecom
06-11-2012, 04:18 PM
I just like to see the different things that show up. I realize that its all a sham. No pawn dealer pays 70% of whats something is worth. They pay 20% at best.

Mr. Zipper
06-11-2012, 07:48 PM
I just like to see the different things that show up. I realize that its all a sham. No pawn dealer pays 70% of whats something is worth. They pay 20% at best.

That skeezball Les from Hardcore Pawn is probably closer to reality. A shameless lowballer who offers $20 for a $300 item. :rolleyes:

GrayGhost
06-11-2012, 08:12 PM
Now, my little 13 inch TV is having issues w History. Well, it will come on line at show point. tomorrow and Pickers.

Leon
06-11-2012, 08:50 PM
watching it now :)

Seiklis
06-11-2012, 08:54 PM
That's a rather loaded trivia question

mighty bombjack
06-11-2012, 09:04 PM
I was hoping for a Joe Jackson auto that can be seen from 20 feet away!

jgmp123
06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Drew!!!!!!!......of course it's real.

prewarsports
06-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Sigs were good, Rick overpaid. I wouldn't have paid more than $300 for that ball with intentions of "trying" to get maybe $500.

Rhys

jgmp123
06-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Value of $2k is a pretty big stretch...

Matthew H
06-11-2012, 11:37 PM
it's not scripted at all. people routinely bring in a 2 million dollar robosaurus car crushing and eating machine on a regular basis to these pawn shops.

They were also lucky enought to have a Hatfield relic walk into the shop and air just before the premiere of History's Hatfield & McCoy mini series.

Why would those sigs be on a Tony Piet ball? I wonder who else signed it...

Shoeless Moe
06-12-2012, 05:01 AM
but minus the Lefty Williams sig.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=34455

Exhibitman
06-12-2012, 07:00 AM
That skeezball Les from Hardcore Pawn is probably closer to reality. A shameless lowballer who offers $20 for a $300 item. :rolleyes:

That show is classic, like watching a train wreck in slo mo. Talk about a graphic example of reasons to stay out of Detroit and pawn shops generally.

mr2686
06-12-2012, 07:54 AM
A couple of quick things. First, of course that ball was not a 1919 blacksox ball. Two Hof players that played on that team, one of which was injured during the series, does not make it a blacksox ball. Also, Piet did not play on the Sox until the 30's and I suspect this was signed after his career so you're looking at late 30's early 40's on an unofficial ball. I bring this up more for the ball that Shoeless Moe has a link to in this thread. It's almost identical except for Lefty Williams on it. Am I the only one that's suspect of the Williams sig on that ball? Doesn't make sense that he'd sign it based on when it would have been signed...he was banned from baseball, he should have already stopped barnstorming and probably already moved to California to start his Nursery business. I also doubt he would have been hanging around with Schalk and Faber. Any thoughts?

travrosty
06-12-2012, 09:08 AM
but minus the Lefty Williams sig.

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=34455

His had the lefty williams sig too, if you freeze frame it, its on the lower right of that panel. The pawn stars guys just missed it.

jgmp123
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
\
his had the left williams sig too, if you freeze frame it, its on the lower right of that panel.

The fact that they (Rick, Corey, and Drew Max) missed the Lefty sig baffles me...poor execution fellas.

GasHouseGang
06-12-2012, 09:59 AM
Anyone else seen Ball Boys? I caught a show this weekend on ABC that I thought seemed a lot like Pawn Stars but with worse actors. So I looked it up and here's the webpage writeup:

From the producers of cable's top rated Pawn Stars, Ball Boys follows the sports memorabilia business at iconic Robbie's 1st Base in Baltimore, MD, and the charming family-like relationships of the sports fanatics who work there - Robbie Sr. and Junior, Sweet Lou and Shaggy. The 12 half-hour episodes will feature the never-before-seen negotiation of buying and selling unique sports merchandise, both at the store and at off-site locations. In addition, numerous sports legends - from football pioneer Jim Brown to baseball great Pete Rose to former NBA star and current ESPN commentator Jalen Rose - stop by the store to join in lively debates, smack talk and comical antics with the staff.

More than just a sports shop, Robbie's 1st Base is like an old school hometown barbershop where everyone has an opinion and is eager to share their stories and love of the game. Touching on the unique capability of sports to bring people together, Ball Boys tells the intriguing stories beyond the action on the field - using the symbolic value of the merchandise changing hands to represent a rare and valuable social bond uniting individuals across all ages, races, genders and economic classes. Never before seen on a broadcast network, both the collectors and the merely curious come to the store from far and wide to experience a shared affinity for the great stories of sport. And when the situation calls, the staff hits the road to buy and sell prized artifacts with some of the top collectors in the nation.

prewarsports
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
I will admit I did not notice the "Lefty Williams" signature on there. I wouldn't be surprised if on closer inspection it was someone else with a similar name or secretarial or something. His signature is VERY rare for his death date and I have come across at least 5 other minor leaguers/sandlot guys with the nickname "Lefty Williams", including a professional Basketball player from the 1940's. If you were an athlete whi had the last name Williams back then and was left handed there was only one nicknmae you could possibly have! If the ball was indeed signed by THE Lefty Williams it would be worth $2000, but it is impossible to tell from the freeze frame and even harder to spot on a television set. Lefty Williams had large prominant capitol letters that were detached from the rest of his names and I dont see that here even on such a tiny signature and bad picture angle.

If the ball is just signed by Schalk, Faber and Joe Benz (another clean White Sox player that is desirable) and a few other somewhat worthless guys like Nick Etten than $500 max.

Shoeless Moe
06-12-2012, 12:43 PM
Maybe considering the other item the seller had was fake the ball is actually signed by "Righty" Williams.

Regardless, I love those buffoons!

GrayGhost
06-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Just got to watch it, after my tv froze up. How in the Heck did they miss "lefty" williams? Was it real tho? Interesting ball overall, but lots of issues, and no way its worth that much iMO, tho Lefty would bring it up there, IF REAL