PDA

View Full Version : Exhibit dimensions constant?

Theoldprofessor
06-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I recently bought a '47-'66 Exhibit Whitey Ford from a reputable dealer. When it arrived I knew it wasn't "regulation." That is, it was thinner by about 3/16" than the Exhibits I have collected over the years. And it had no markers at the bottom. "Made in U.S.A.", "An Exhibit Card" etc. were all absent. I contacted the dealer, who in turn got in touch with his source. Here's his reply to my dealer:

"Exhibit made these cards in several variations over a number of years. Like all exhibit cards, some were marked, some were not. Over the years Exhibit used different sizes too. These were found in a sealed brick of 500 that was stamped Exhibit Supply 500. I bought one full brick. They came out of an arcade up around Boston and there is absolutely no question as to their authenticity."

True? I own about 300 Exhibits, and not one is unmarked. And every one is bigger than the Ford card.

My dealer was very good about it, and I've returned the card (without copying it first -- a lesson now learned!). Were there Exhibits significantly smaller than 3 3/8" across and 5 3/8" high? We're talking just about baseball here, not cowboys or actors.

Any help from this wise board would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Exhibitman
06-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Whether the seller is telling the truth or not about his purchase is impossible to say.

Every so often I run across one that is a bit narrower than average but 3/16" is way too much variance. Was the back the usual creamy off-white smooth stock or was it bright white or gray and rough? The latter are hallmarks of reprints.