PDA

View Full Version : 1940 Play Ball... colorized?

paulcarek
06-07-2012, 10:51 AM
Happened to see this on the VCP site. Anyone know what the deal is with this "set?"

http://www.vintagecardprices.com/set-profile/2651/1940-Play-Ball-1940-Colorized-Baseball-Card-Value-Prices.htm

phikappapsi
06-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Just a modern reprint set of what the 40 set would have hypothetically looked like if it had color ala '41

Wite3
06-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Actually, these are not modern...if you search the archives here, you might find more info.

Joshua

Leon
06-07-2012, 12:38 PM
have a read....

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=81912&highlight=colorized+1940

Chris Counts
06-08-2012, 10:13 AM
I've been looking for an excuse to resurrect this thread. I've been interested in learning more about these cards since picking up seven of them in a bargain bin at a card show a few years back. For a variety of reasons, these cards seem have never been completely accepted as legit, but that hasn't stopped a number of advanced collectors from believing they're real.

I went through quite an ordeal to get one graded. After being told by GAI that they couldn't grade the cards because "they are too controversial," I approached SGC and was told by several folks there that they "couldn't grade anymore," in part because of the opinion of one particularly prominent individual in the hobby (I've never met Levi, but I would very much like to hear his opinion here). In response, I said, "I'm convinced the color on this Frank Demaree card was part of the printing process. Take this card back to your lab in New Jersey, dip it in chemicals, and destroy it if you have to. I'm willing to risk this card to prove the others are real." About a month later, the card arrived back in an SGC 60 (PSA 5) holder.

For those who believe the color was added after the cards were printed, I have an observation I've yet to see debunked. Check out the blue on Demaree's sock. In my opinion, it would be impossible for an artist to color the socks with such precise accuracy unless he or she was working on an 8x10 photo. The sock on a 2-inch-by-3-inch slab of cardboard is simply too small to color with such precision.

Now if the color added was done more recently with high tech equipment (I have no idea actually how it could be done), why did these end up in a bargain bin for $5 each. What would be the motivation to do this much work just so someone else could make a profit?

One final note: some cards have red on them and it's sloppier than the other colors. I've wondered if the red was added after the printing process ...

To my knowledge, the following "colorized" cards have been cataloged: Mel Ott, Carl Hubbell, Daffy Dean, Burgess Whitehead, Harry Gumbert, Pete Coscaret, Buddy Hassett, Casey Stengel, Frank McCormick, Whitey Moore, Lonny Frey, Babe Phelps and Demaree. I've seen all but the Gumbert and Whitehead. I'm not aware of any duplicates that exist, and all are National Leaguers. They don't appear to come from the same series.

I noticed the photos from the old thread are gone, so I'm reposting them here ...

Chris Counts
06-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Here's the Lonny Frey, which has red added to it. On several of the cards, the red looks sloppy like '49 Leafs or Bowmans, although this one doesn't look too bad ...

paulcarek
06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Very interesting. Thanks for the replies, guys.

rc4157
06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Chris,

I remember you posting a picture of either the Frey or McCormick a while back and thinking..."Now that's cool!". Have yet to see any in person.

RC

paul
06-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Here's the Stengel. I didn't realize that anyone had any doubts about their authenticity. They certainly don't look home made in person.

Chris Counts
06-09-2012, 09:34 PM
That's a beauty, Paul. I used to own that one. A prominent dealer told me he once owned it as well, but sold it for a song after convincing himself the color was added. He later changed his mind and regretted letting go of it. Yes, these cards are controversial. If there wasn't any controversy, they'd all be graded and they'd likely sell for more than any of them have. Yet both PSA and SGC have graded a couple each. And privately, a number of respected dealers and collectors have told me they believe they're legit ...

Chris Counts
06-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Richard, here's another member of the World Champion 1940 Reds who has a colorized Play Ball, Bill McKechnie. Remarkably, my brother found this card on eBay a couple years after my find. What are the odds that two brothers — completely independent of each other — would each find at least one of these?