PDA

View Full Version : Goudey '33 Price "Fluctuations" Now?

GregMitch34
06-05-2012, 09:15 AM
I just did a "make an offer" on a Goudey 1933 HOF card going for about $100. The seller replied that it could be a fair offer but right now there are "wild fluctuations" in Goudey '33 prices. Is this true and what exactly is going on? Maybe a current price surge that most people don't think is real or will last? Or only increases in just some of the cards?

glchen
06-05-2012, 09:20 AM
I sell quite a few 33 Goudey's and have seen an increase in the prices over the last year. For example, commons in PSA4 that used to sell around $25 now go for around $30-32. It's similar with other cards in the set.

CMIZ5290
06-05-2012, 09:28 AM
33 goudeys right now are about as cheap as they can be in higher grades. They were bringing alot more money several years ago.....the one exception would be ruth as his cards still bring big bucks.

GregMitch34
06-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Isn't it always misleading to compare today's prices, for most (not all) cards to pre-economic crisis of late 2008? If the given is that there's a long way to go to return to the bubble then -- much like in housing -- shouldn't we just judge prices as rising or falling in the past year? I know some issues did not sink so much after 2008 but it seems most have not yet returned to those levels.

T206DK
06-05-2012, 09:49 AM
I'm not seeing these fluctuations. Goudeys are as cheap as I've seen them in years (graded or not) currently, and I am buying commons for great prices on Ebay and from the local card shop that has someones collection of older cards for sale

bbcard1
06-05-2012, 10:19 AM
You will find vascilations from time to time on the commodity sets...the ones everyone collects...I tend to get tunnel vision on a set when I am collecting it and if it takes a year to complete, at some point in that year you will go: OH NO! THEY'RE GOING TO THE MOON! and then it will settle down...normally in less than a month cycle. I might be tempted to come back with a lower offer and say that the price has fluctuated wildly down, but no good thing could come of that. There are plenty of 33 Goudeys and T206s to go around...and that's not a bad thing and actually insulates your investment in my opinion. There's enough to keep collectors interested. You should probably move on from the seller...they will only bring you down. As I have made known, I am currently in the market for a T206 Ohara. There are two with BINs on ebay that would fit my bill. Both are probably overpriced by 40%, IMO...so I'll keep looking.

g_vezina_c55
06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
i don t see any fluctuation, but i only started buy goudey since 1 week but i check 33 goudey since a couple month.

tonyo
06-05-2012, 10:57 AM
What is the current price on 33 goudey commons in psa 1,2,and 3 ?

g_vezina_c55
06-05-2012, 11:00 AM
What is the current price on 33 goudey commons in psa 1,2,and 3 ?

i bought last week 8 card for arround 75 $ card is arround good conditon... so grade 1 or 2 maximum. So arround 9$ EA

Runscott
06-05-2012, 01:33 PM
I just received an offer of $200 for a '33 Gehrig in VGEX+ (with mark on back). Given the new market value information in this thread, I'll be giving it deeper consideration. Meanwhile, if you are interested in selling any '33 Goudeys at 80% off, contact knottybirch on ebay.

g_vezina_c55
06-05-2012, 01:34 PM
I just received an offer of $200 for a '33 Gehrig in VGEX+ (with mark on back). Given the new market value information in this thread, I'll be giving it deeper consideration. Meanwhile, if you are interested in selling any '33 Goudeys at 80% off, contact knottybirch on ebay.

200$ for a 33 goudey gehrig look to be a bargain ...

Runscott
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
200$ for a 33 goudey gehrig look to be a bargain ...

Hi Nelson, it was just more of my dry wit. It's too dry to stick, but I amuse myself.

HRBAKER
06-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi Nelson, it was just more of my dry wit. It's too dry to stick, but I amuse myself.

We still need that sarcasm font.

g_vezina_c55
06-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Sorry guy I didn't understand...

Big Ben
06-05-2012, 09:30 PM
You will find vascilations from time to time on the commodity sets...the ones everyone collects...I tend to get tunnel vision on a set when I am collecting it and if it takes a year to complete, at some point in that year you will go: OH NO! THEY'RE GOING TO THE MOON! and then it will settle down...normally in less than a month cycle. I might be tempted to come back with a lower offer and say that the price has fluctuated wildly down, but no good thing could come of that. There are plenty of 33 Goudeys and T206s to go around...and that's not a bad thing and actually insulates your investment in my opinion. There's enough to keep collectors interested. You should probably move on from the seller...they will only bring you down. As I have made known, I am currently in the market for a T206 Ohara. There are two with BINs on ebay that would fit my bill. Both are probably overpriced by 40%, IMO...so I'll keep looking.

+1
At least from an Ebay perspective, I think that there are currently a lot more 33 Goudeys at a BIN price as opposed to auctions. After a brief look at the completed listings for 33 Goudeys, I got away from the tunnel vision and am back to patiently awaiting good deals. :)

Runscott
06-06-2012, 10:11 AM
My set-break is still selling slowly, but at reasonable prices. I haven't noticed any real fluctuations from the estimates I made when they were originally purchased.

SetBuilder
06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Question: Do the price fluctuations peak right before and during the baseball season and cool off during the off-season?

Makes sense that people would buy baseball cards when they're in a baseball "mood".

bbcard1
06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Question: Do the price fluctuations peak right before and during the baseball season and cool off during the off-season?

Makes sense that people would buy baseball cards when they're in a baseball "mood".

I think if there are any fluctionsations (other than for active players) it might come in the winter. I am really busy in the summer, have a little more time in the winter to collect.