PDA

View Full Version : 1965 World Series Program Help

Simmons Nation
06-04-2012, 03:27 PM
World Series programs are not in my usual collecting wheelhouse, but I recently picked up a 1965 program because I love the cover artwork. Afterwards, I saw reprints on ebay like this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-WORLD-SERIES-PROGRAM-FROM-FROM-DODGER-STADIUM-REPRINT-/160816556549?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item257169ea05#ht_526wt_1086

and then realized that I have no idea how to tell original 1965 programs from these seemingly identical reprints.

The one I bought has the right smell and page browning, so I don't think its a reprint, but its an area I'd like to know more about. Does anyone know how to tell these reprints from the originals?

Thanks,
Brent

Duluth Eskimo
07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
You probably bought a real version as this is probably one of / if not the easiest of all older world series programs to obtain. There were literally cases that came to the market in the 80's and could be had for very little. Obviously the condition on these cased programs was near mint.

Tomman1961
07-04-2012, 09:51 AM
I have to agree with Duluth. I also remember in the 1980's seeing every dealer having this 1965 program for sale. They must have been produced in a quantity that goes beyond the number of seats in the ballparks.

Gary Dunaier
07-04-2012, 09:29 PM
World Series programs are not in my usual collecting wheelhouse, but I recently picked up a 1965 program because I love the cover artwork. Afterwards, I saw reprints on ebay like this one....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-WORLD-SERIES-PROGRAM-FROM-FROM-DODGER-STADIUM-REPRINT-/160816556549?pt=Vintage_Sports_Memorabilia&hash=item257169ea05#ht_526wt_1086

and then realized that I have no idea how to tell original 1965 programs from these seemingly identical reprints.

In the case of the seller whose offering was cited by the original poster, I'm familiar with his offerings because I bought a few from him. They appear to be scans from printed copies, printed on long paper and (manually?) folded. They appear - I don't know how accurate a word this is - "fluffier" near the spine than a "real" copy, but the "fluffiness" doesn't affect its readability. Sometimes his reprints include a blue rubber stamp identifying it as a reprint, but generally I don't think a seasoned collector will be fooled. The only drawback with this guy's stuff is that sometimes there may be pages missing - his reprint of the 1964 Mets yearbook, for example, is missing pages 5, 6, 43, and 44 (which is frustrating to a ballpark buff because page 43 is the second half of a feature of Shea Stadium under construction, and page 44 has photos of some of the other National League parks).

nolemmings
07-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Looking at the scans of the Reprint, it appears as if there is a thin white border along the top of the page, and perhaps along the right-hand side too. This is very prevalent on the "Dodgers Family" page. The real program will not have these borders--the gray background of O'Malley's pic will run all the way to the edge of the page--same too for the cover and the others.