PDA

View Full Version : Joe Jackson Signed?

yanks12025
06-02-2012, 01:42 PM
So this item was on Ball Boys today because they visited the hall of fame and got to touch acouple items. It's a scrapbook signed by most of the players who played in 1912 and it had Joe Jackson. So I'm wondering if the Jackson auto is real or signed by someone else and also the hand written on the side was said to be his.

7nohitter
06-02-2012, 03:29 PM
I thought he couldn't even spell his own name...the handwriting there is very nice.

thecatspajamas
06-02-2012, 04:41 PM
That was my understanding as well, that he couldn't write, but learned to "draw" his signature, which certainly wouldn't account for the other handwriting on the page that you say is also attributed to him.

canjond
06-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Not his signature.

ScottR81
06-02-2012, 05:37 PM
I saw this as well today...I'm seeing a lot of items coming up different places lately with joe Jackson auto's on them. This one came straight from the hall of fame and also had 4 Ty Cobb signatures on it and the whole tigers team.

It was well known that Jackson was illiterate, but how illiterate? Maybe he couldn't read and write but I have to believe that the man eventually learned to write his own name.

Isn't it possible that man learned a little from his wife or other teammates?

I just find it hard to believe the baseball hall of fame knows less about Jackson's signature then us collectors who only know about Jackson from books, movies and tall tales.

Think of how many documents you sign as a person in your life. Your own name is the most important thing you can learn how to write.....just my opinion here.

David Atkatz
06-02-2012, 05:48 PM
He could write his name.
But the example shown was not written by him.

travrosty
06-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I saw this as well today...I'm seeing a lot of items coming up different places lately with joe Jackson auto's on them. This one came straight from the hall of fame and also had 4 Ty Cobb signatures on it and the whole tigers team.

It was well known that Jackson was illiterate, but how illiterate? Maybe he couldn't read and write but I have to believe that the man eventually learned to write his own name.

Isn't it possible that man learned a little from his wife or other teammates?

I just find it hard to believe the baseball hall of fame knows less about Jackson's signature then us collectors who only know about Jackson from books, movies and tall tales.

Think of how many documents you sign as a person in your life. Your own name is the most important thing you can learn how to write.....just my opinion here.

the HOF has curators and historians who catalogue the history of baseball, but the one thing they are not is experts on baseball autographs and signatures.

ScottR81
06-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Does anyone have a photo of his actual hand written signature they can post? There has be a legit one out there.

What do you think the value of a legit joe Jackson signature would go for at auction?

If I had to throw a guess out I'd say $35,000-75,000.00

ScottR81
06-02-2012, 06:19 PM
the HOF has curators and historians who catalogue the history of baseball, but the one thing they are not is experts on baseball autographs and signatures.

But wouldn't a baseball historian know what a joe jackson signature at least looks like?

canjond
06-02-2012, 07:16 PM
The last sale of a Joe Jackson that I know of was the subsequent re-sale (albeit privately) of the REA receipt. All I can say is it sold for quite a bit more than it originally sold for in REA (which was $65k or so).

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Jackson3.jpg

GrayGhost
06-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah, the receipt is gorgeous. Ive seen that, the Pool hall contract w Lefty Williams, a ball from Joss Day, and Joe's "notebook" from a liquor store w the name "Joe" written in. All these were in major auctions, E'thing else looks and likely is BAD

Geez, the Jackson on my t hread I made looks way better, albeit bad, than the one in this thread.

7nohitter
06-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Yup, even if he learned to 'draw' his name, he never 'drew' it as cleanly as in the OP's example.

Wymers Auction
06-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Here is a PSA versionhttp://www.net54baseball.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65287&stc=1&d=1338703931