PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Color vs modern color cards

HOF Yankees
05-30-2012, 09:05 PM
I think we all have seen both at one point or another but has anyone stopped and really appricated the colors on the vintage??? Serious the colors of T206 and how long they lasted with the beautiful color or the 50s bowmans, mmmmm. I dont think the newer cards have the color the vintage cards had, anyone can smack a auto or game used on a card but its something special when you can look at your cards and see true beauty and the colors and variety used, sorry modern but to me Vintage Colors Rules!!!

theseeker
06-01-2012, 01:50 AM
I seem to be the lone holdout on this board but, like most things, I feel modern cards are a vast improvement over their predecessors. Their lack of appreciation seems to bring about a lack of appreciation.

ALR-bishop
06-01-2012, 09:53 AM
John--Putting aside the specific players if you took a set of the 1963 style Topps Heritage cards back in time and let a kid pick between those and the real 1963s, which do you think the kid would take ? I think the Heritage :). I have every Topps set, and I love them all ( well, most of them) and have the most fondness for the 50s and 60s sets I grew up with. But the cards of today, though less valuable, are a better product in my view as well

Volod
06-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Jake: Are you referring to the 1953 Bowman set specifically? And, comparing that photocolor process to modern card printing technique? If so, I think I may have an inkling (pun?) of the point you seem to be making.

39special
06-01-2012, 03:09 PM
I always liked the '50's Bowmans and up '56 topps artwork.I think the colors
really stand out.

toppcat
06-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Personally I prefer the vintage colors even though the modern day ones are more vibrant and realistic. Give me a good lithograph any day......

fkw
06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
I believe the first color photo cards are the 1948 UO10 Signal Gasoline Oakland Oaks cards. All the cards before that were colorized drawings or colorized B&W images.

alanu
06-04-2012, 12:28 AM
One of the things I like about the older Topps/Bowman cards are the poses rather than the actual action shots, the pictures on the 1953 Bowman are an exceptional examples. It seems like they started to switch over to the actual game action shots in the early 70's.