PDA

View Full Version : With all of this banter about how much people are paying for memorabilia, I thought..

thekingofclout
05-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Let's hear the absolute MOST you've ever spent on an item. If you collect 6 or 7 types of things, then tells us what was the highest price you paid for one in each category! Don't be shy, or ashamed, were all in it together guys regardless if some of our siblings don't like to play fair, all is welcome.

The absolute most amount of cash I've ever paid (I'm talking cash, not trades, that I'll save for a new thread) for a Baseball Photograph was this $2950 for this gem of the Babe Pitching a Complete game victory over the hated Red Sox.

This scarce image cost me $2950... Certainly not my best buy, but images of the Bambino in is "Yankees" away uniform while tossing a complete game victory are far scarcer the one of him hurling on the mound in his Red Sox garb.

Here's the story...Sept. 28th, 1930 on the last day of the season. Babe hurled a complete game victory against his former team the Boston Red Sox. The final score was 9-3. Read about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/sports/baseball/17ruth.html

bender07
05-30-2012, 10:58 AM
I never knew these stories about Ruth as a pitcher with the Yankees. Thanks for the lesson and great picture.

Ulidia
05-30-2012, 11:13 AM
The most that I paid for a single item of memorabilia was £8,000 (British pounds so equivalent of circa $12,000 to $13,000).

This was for an item of soccer memorabilia - a European Cup Winner's Medal won by Phil Neal of Liverpool in 1984. The medal was bought directly from Phil Neal in early 2001. He had previously tried to sell it at Christies but it didn't meet its reserve there.

I no longer have that item, nor was it ever my best item of memorabilia, haven't spent that sort of money on items in recent years and I am not intending on spending that sort of money again.

The most I've spent on an item of baseball memorabilia is just over $1,000. It was for a Yankees team group photo from 1924. This was purchased relatively recently. I probably overpaid but did so knowingly as it was a photo I really wanted.

Splinte1941
05-30-2012, 11:25 AM
$45K for an early 40's Ted Williams game used bat. MEARS cert, the whole nine, for what it's worth.

Splinte1941
05-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Let's hear the absolute MOST you've ever spent on an item. If you collect 6 or 7 types of things, then tells us what was the highest price you paid for one in each category! Don't be shy, or ashamed, were all in it together guys regardless if some of our siblings don't like to play fair, all is welcome.

The absolute most amount of cash I've ever paid (I'm talking cash, not trades, that I'll save for a new thread) for a Baseball Photograph was this $2950 for this gem of the Babe Pitching a Complete game victory over the hated Red Sox.

This scarce image cost me $2950... Certainly not my best buy, but images of the Bambino in is "Yankees" away uniform while tossing a complete game victory are far scarcer the one of him hurling on the mound in his Red Sox garb.

Here's the story...Sept. 28th, 1930 on the last day of the season. Babe hurled a complete game victory against his former team the Boston Red Sox. The final score was 9-3. Read about it here: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/17/sports/baseball/17ruth.html

We've had our differences, but that's a tremendous artifact. Awesome pick up James.

EDIT: I also appreciate the veiled shot at the Ruth photo I picked up in the last Legendary auction that you poo-pooed.
You sneaky lil devil.

Also, your photo doesn't look like he's in Fenway Park. The game was played at Fenway according to the story, right?

Leon
05-30-2012, 01:11 PM
I traded mostly baseball cards for it but have around 28k into it. It is still the only thing on my office walls.

Forever Young
05-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I traded mostly baseball cards for it but have around 28k into it. It is still the only thing on my office walls.

Leon,

That is absolutely killer. I have yet to break the 4 figure mark. I have spend around 8k on a couple items..one being the below photo which I believe is the centerpiece of my photo collecton (Type 1 Babe Ruth by Charles Conlon).
At the time, I asked myself.."What did I just do??". Now I think.."that was the best investment I have ever made".

Jimmy,

Just a fantastic shot of the Bambino.
I have not seen many if any photos of Ruth pitching in a yankee uni at auction lately..have you??

Ben

[http://sportscollectorsdaily.ning.com/photo/babe-ruth-charles-conlon-type-1-photo?context=user

Scott Garner
05-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Delete

Forever Young
05-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Here are some of my high-water marks on various category baseball collectibles that I have, or have owned, in my personal collection:

Game used equipment: $11,000 (Nolan Ryan 1973 Home Jersey) Mears 8

Ticket: $1900

Baseball card: $725 (1972 High Number rack pack with Ryan and Seaver on top, Rose on bottom)

Autographed ball: $1900 (trade + cash)- (1930's Babe Ruth ball aquired in 1993, but I no longer own it)

Autographed photo: $1600 (Walter Johnson 1927 signed and dated photo)

Photo- Type I or otherwise- $285

Scott, do you have pics of that jersey?? What photo cost you 285? Just curious..:)

Scott Garner
05-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Scott, do you have pics of that jersey?? What photo cost you 285? Just curious..:)

Hi Ben,
I'm sorry, but I do not have any photos to post of the jersey at the moment. I've never shown it here on net54, but will at some point in the future.

The Type I photo that I mentioned is of Johnny Vander Meer warming up prior to his 1st no-hitter.

O/T After posting, I realized that I actually did pay more for a Type I B/W photo of Nolan Ryan pitching in his only World Series appearance in game 3, 1969 at Shea. I believe that I paid over $300 for this one a few years back. I've never ever seen the image before and it's pretty awesome. I love the WS bunting in the background as it's shot from the perspective of 1st base looking over towards third. I'll try to remember to get a good scan of it, but it is oversized and I don't have one handy at present.

Forever Young
05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi Ben,
I'm sorry, but I do not have any photos to post of the jersey at the moment. I've never shown it here on net54, but will at some point in the future.

The Type I photo that I mentioned is of Johnny Vander Meer warming up prior to his 1st no-hitter.

O/T After posting, I realized that I actually did pay more for a Type I B/W photo of Nolan Ryan pitching in his only World Series appearance in game 3, 1969 at Shea. I believe that I paid over $300 for this one a few years back. I've never ever seen the image before and it's pretty awesome. I love the WS bunting in the background as it's shot from the perspective of 1st base looking over towards third. I'll try to remember to get a good scan of it, but it is oversized and I don't have one handy at present.

Very cool! That oversized photo of Ryan sounds like one taken by ken regan..am I right? I have seen a couple fantastic 1969 ws images by mr. Regan.

Scott Garner
05-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Very cool! That oversized photo of Ryan sounds like one taken by ken regan..am I right? I have seen a couple fantastic 1969 ws images by mr. Regan.

Ben,
You are correct! Ken Regan is the photographer.

71buc
05-30-2012, 11:46 PM
I have always told my wife I am a bottom feeder when it comes to collecting. This post confirms it! My magic number has always been around $300-350. I have only strayed from that range a couple of times. Once I get in that neighborhood the wife gives me the evil eye. As a result my purchases are historically of the Wal-Mart variety. She quit asking me when I was going to grow up when I passed age 45. I think she has accepted that she is stuck with a balding middle aged child. As you can see I collect with a net not a hook so I am easily satisified with lower end items that intrigue me. The years 1997-2006 my collecting budget fell victim to select baseball. I have two kids in college now and the wife is looking over my shoulder everytime I log on:(

Autograph- Signed Roberto Clemente Night poster $300.00 purchased 1990
Game used ball- AL Rookie record HR Ball hit by McGwire $300.00 purchased 1991
Game used equipment- Tony Gwynn fielder’s glove $500.00 purchased 1996
Stadium Piece- Home dugout phone Municipal Stadium $325.00 purchased 1997
Type 1 photo- Babe Ruth tour of Japan 1934 $325.00 purchased 2006
Game worn jersey- 2002 Ivan Rodriguez Rangers home $650.00 purchased 2011
Cards- Tied 54T Hank Aaron, 55T Clemente $800.00 each purchased 2011
Advertising- Babe Ruth underwear box $300.00 purchased 2012

MilBraves
05-31-2012, 10:14 AM
I'm with you Buc. Most I've spent is $420 bucks on an item, which was my Aaron Topps rookie card. The majority of the items in my memorabilia collection have come from rummage/estate sales and flea markets. I have found some really great items scrounging. For example, I've pieced together the entire '55 Braves Spic and Span die cut set, without buying a single card from a dealer, an auction or a card shop. My wife jokes that I should have my own pickers type reality show.

mcgwirecom
05-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Me Too Mike. I forgot you were the guy who had that Mac HR ball. I love that. Here are my high payouts to my recollection (which is not great)..

Game used bat $1750 McGwire rookie 1986 signed bat
Ticket $400 Babe Ruth HR stub (sold)
Signed ball $650 1934 Yankees team signed (sold)
Signed piece $1200 500 Homerun Club Poster
Game Jersey $275 Adam Dunn 2003
Game used ball $400 McGwire 19th HR in 1998 (sold)
Game used base $250 Pujols 3 HR game used base

GrayGhost
06-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Is there a need to really show how much you paid for an item? GREAT items regardless all.

Splinte1941
06-01-2012, 06:16 AM
Is there a need to really show how much you paid for an item? GREAT items regardless all.

I've noticed you have a hang- up of sorts on prices? Any particular reason why? You've made comments to the effect of prices being obscene, outrageous, etc. just curious.

GrayGhost
06-01-2012, 06:35 AM
I guess I think its showing off some , for those of us who don't have the means to buy those wonderful things.

again. Im NOT looking for any problems here. Those are wonderful items, and as they said, if a person is willing to pay, its never too much.

The items on t his thread are all awesome and everyone got some wonderful things. Some things in general are VERY expensive and all, but again, thats the same in any collectible world or life.

Scott Roberts.

GrayGhost
06-01-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm with you Buc. Most I've spent is $420 bucks on an item, which was my Aaron Topps rookie card. The majority of the items in my memorabilia collection have come from rummage/estate sales and flea markets. I have found some really great items scrounging. For example, I've pieced together the entire '55 Braves Spic and Span die cut set, without buying a single card from a dealer, an auction or a card shop. My wife jokes that I should have my own pickers type reality show.

That is awesome sir. Flea markets and the like are the BEST

mcgwirecom
06-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I don't think everyone here is showing off. Some are saying hey I paid a lot, but others are saying hey I paid a little.

Leon
06-01-2012, 01:48 PM

Understand where you are coming from however when the title of the thread and the first line are-

"With all of this banter about how much people are paying for memorabilia, I thought..
Let's hear the absolute MOST you've ever spent on an item."

I would say folks are just responding correctly. And if you didn't respond that way then really you are taking the thread off topic. Just sayin....

and.. No matter what happens there will always be someone with more and someone with less...that's the way I look at it.

batsballsbases
06-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Understand where you are coming from however when the title of the thread and the first line are-

"With all of this banter about how much people are paying for memorabilia, I thought..
Let's hear the absolute MOST you've ever spent on an item."

I would say folks are just responding correctly. And if you didn't respond that way then really you are taking the thread off topic. Just sayin....

and.. No matter what happens there will always be someone with more and someone with less...that's the way I look at it.

Leon,
Wouldnt that be called a case of the have and havenots! Im just sayin!;);):D:D

Splinte1941
06-01-2012, 02:01 PM
I don't think everyone here is showing off. Some are saying hey I paid a lot, but others are saying hey I paid a little.

Agreed, but I do see Scott's point a little. What is there to be gained by sharing this information, one way or the other?

And I say this as someone who has volunteered my own information.

However, I disagree with Scott when he says that some of the prices people pay are outlandish, because he has that perspective based mainly on his own budget. Just because someone doesn't have the means to pay a certain price doesn't make said price outrageous.

maniac_73
06-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Isn't the whole point/fun of collecting to show off? lol

Splinte1941
06-01-2012, 02:50 PM

+1

Ulidia
06-01-2012, 05:40 PM

In my opinion, that's one of three possible mainstream reasons. The other two are for a) sentimental reasons and b) investment (capital appreciation).

Certainly, for me, when I used to spend thousands on memorabilia (probably in region of $50,000 - $70,000 over two years in early 2000s, albeit on soccer memorabilia not baseball memorabilia), it was primarily for potential capital appreciation but I was buying with my heart and not my head. In hindsight, incredibly stupid, given auctioneers' buying and selling fees.

It should be easy to understand (but took me some years) that if you want to make money by buying items at mainstream auctions, you need to be very lucky, very patient or really know your stuff.

These days I buy for sentimenal / like reasons only.

thekingofclout
06-01-2012, 05:43 PM
When I started this thread with the statement:

"With all of this banter about how much people are paying for memorabilia, I thought"

I was referring to all of the incredible record prices that this years Spring auctions had produced, and how many of them (Wagner Cards, Dimitri Young's Collection, Ruth Jersey, Joe Jackson Photo, etc.) had been covered by that mainstream media. Simple as that! No "look what I have and you don't!" Or "I make more money than you do."

We're all pretty much in the same boat here, and I thought it would be fun for us average guys to have the media "spotlight" so to speak, right here on net54.

On a personal note, Due to my health issues of the last couple years, I'd be willing to wager that NO ONE here with a full time job made LESS money last year than I did. I grossed $16,953.96. My job is tip dependent and since I wasn't able to work as often as I needed to... that's life. I've never filed for either unemployment or disability either... NEVER. Nor have I ever inherited anything. But, the rainy day money has come in handy. :D

My collection completely feeds its self. Sell this to buy that. Repeat. Trade: I'll give you five Lou Gehrig's and one Babe Ruth for your 1 Babe Ruth?

I felt the need to clarify this as this isn't this first, or second, or third time that the whole "have and have nots" have been played out, and to be completely honest about it, I too, am tired of hearing it.

Sincerely, Jimmy

BTW... If anyone needs a good first car for a kid entering collage and has Ruth & Gehrig photos to trade for (Al) I have a clean 2009 Nissan Sentra...;)

Splinte1941
06-01-2012, 05:54 PM

"With all of this banter about how much people are paying for memorabilia, I thought"

I was referring to all of the incredible record prices that this years Spring auctions had produced, and how many of them (Wagner Cards, Dimitri Young's Collection, Ruth Jersey, Joe Jackson Photo, etc.) had been covered by that mainstream media. Simple as that! No "look what I have and you don't!" Or "I make more money than you do."

We're all pretty much in the same boat here, and I thought it would be fun for us average guys to have the media "spotlight" so to speak, right here on net54.

On a personal note, Due to my health issues of the last couple years, I'd be willing to wager that NO ONE here with a full time job made LESS money last year than I did. I grossed $16,953.96. My job is tip dependent and since I wasn't able to work as often as I needed to... that's life. I've never filed for either unemployment or disability either... NEVER. Nor have I ever inherited anything. But, the rainy day money has come in handy. :D

My collection completely feeds its self. Sell this to buy that. Repeat. Trade: I'll give you five Lou Gehrig's and one Babe Ruth for your 1 Babe Ruth?

I felt the need to clarify this as this isn't this first, or second, or third time that the whole "have and have nots" have been played out, and to be completely honest about it, I too, am tired of hearing it.

Sincerely, Jimmy

BTW... If anyone needs a good first car for a kid entering collage and has Ruth & Gehrig photos to trade for (Al) I have a clean 2009 Nissan Sentra...;)

James, does the pigskin ever contribute to your memorabilia budget? I know it's taken it's fair share from mine over the last two seasons.

:eek:

batsballsbases
06-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Sincerely, Jimmy

Jimmy,
Now if you had said a 2009 Honda Accord then maybe we could talk my friend!;);)

thekingofclout
06-02-2012, 04:54 AM
I had to sell my entire wax pack collection along with most of my HOF autographs including Cobb, Foxx, Hornsby, Mantle, Jackie, Greenberg, Ott, Collins, Cochrane, and LaJoie to raise the $8100 needed to buy this one. No regrets here.

GrayGhost
06-02-2012, 05:24 AM
That Gehrig signed postcard still remains my favorite autographed item Ive EVER seen on here. Its amazingly nice. Blockbuster sell off Jimmy, but worth it.:)

Leon
06-02-2012, 07:10 AM
I had to sell my entire wax pack collection along with most of my HOF autographs including Cobb, Foxx, Hornsby, Mantle, Jackie, Greenberg, Ott, Collins, Cochrane, and LaJoie to raise the $8100 needed to buy this one. No regrets here.

What a great looking autograph!!!

7nohitter
06-02-2012, 07:54 AM

Yup, absolutely the nicest Gehrig I've ever seen....still seems like you gave up alot to acquire it...

Lordstan
06-02-2012, 08:55 AM

Jimmy,
You're know my feelings on this.
All those other things you gave up pale in comparison to that Gehrig.
None of those sigs are difficult to obtain again. Plus the one thing that I have learned from observing what/how you buy and sell is that the best quality of anything will always be liquid and at a premium.
That is arguably the most perfect Gehrig autograph. If you ever change your name and want to sell it, I am sure you'll make a significant profit.

Best,
Mark

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thekingofclout
06-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Jimmy,
You're know my feelings on this.
All those other things you gave up pale in comparison to that Gehrig.
None of those sigs are difficult to obtain again. Plus the one thing that I have learned from observing what/how you buy and sell is that the best quality of anything will always be liquid and at a premium.
That is arguably the most perfect Gehrig autograph. If you ever change your name and want to sell it, I am sure you'll make a significant profit.

Best,
Mark

My sincere thanks for all the nice comments guys!

And Mark. You may recall that when that Gehrig piece came up for auction a few years ago, I stated that there was no way I could afford to make a run at it at that time. And I'm sure you also remember that I had to be "talked into it" by You, David Mac/Kawika, Al, Steve and several others of the fraternity. Actually, "talked into it" is not the right choice of words. I think "relentlessly hounded" is more appropriate. ;)

But it remains a fact that had you guys not persuade me to make a run at it, we wouldn't be talking about it here and now. So once again, a huge "Grazie" goes out to all who helped me see the light! :D

Lordstan
06-02-2012, 11:20 AM

And Mark. You may recall that when that Gehrig piece came up for auction a few years ago, I stated that there was no way I could afford to make a run at it at that time. And I'm sure you also remember that I had to be "talked into it" by You, David Mac/Kawika, Al, Steve and several others of the fraternity. Actually, "talked into it" is not the right choice of words. I think "relentlessly hounded" is more appropriate. ;)

But it remains a fact that had you guys not persuade me to make a run at it, we wouldn't be talking about it here and now. So once again, a huge "Grazie" goes out to all who helped me see the light! :D

Jimmy,
You're welcome.
I'm pretty sure that is the first and only time anyone has thanked me for helping them spend $8k, but I'm glad I could help.
Mark

Splinte1941
06-02-2012, 11:39 AM
$8K for that??????

That's a bargain of a lifetime. What a signature.

johnmh71
06-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I have always told my wife I am a bottom feeder when it comes to collecting. This post confirms it! My magic number has always been around $300-350.

I'm with you buddy. I think the max that I have ever spent is $350.

Cardboard Junkie
06-02-2012, 12:12 PM
I bought two shoeboxes full of Thai Sticks for 40K once....ooops..wrong forum. dave.

Jlighter
06-02-2012, 07:47 PM

Your auto is very nice, but looks a lot like a postcard currently for sale on eBay.

Forever Young
06-02-2012, 08:00 PM
Your auto is very nice, but looks a lot like a postcard currently for sale on eBay.

The difference is it is A LOT nicer and his name is Jimmy. So they really aren't comparable. I wouldn't even pay 4500 unless it was to Forever Young. :)

Scott Garner
06-03-2012, 03:11 PM
I bought two shoeboxes full of Thai Sticks for 40K once....ooops..wrong forum. dave.

lol :p

Copa7
08-01-2012, 05:24 AM
I used to collect many sport cards and memorabilia. Now I am strictly a connoisseur of soccer items.

It helps when the prices are still extremely low for this sport:

1958 World Cup official program - $500

1928 soccer trophy - Penn. All-Stars v. Italy - $1000

1928 Greiling - Rudi Hiden - rookie - $150

While I still collect some hockey, I've sold all my NFL football and still selling off my baseball collection. For what I paid and collected and later sold in other sports, I've been able to put together a museum like collection for soccer.

I still enjoy seeing much of the baseball items here on the forum.

thekingofclout
08-01-2012, 06:27 AM
I used to collect many sport cards and memorabilia. Now I am strictly a connoisseur of soccer items.

It helps when the prices are still extremely low for this sport:

1958 World Cup official program - $500

1928 soccer trophy - Penn. All-Stars v. Italy - $1000

1928 Greiling - Rudi Hiden - rookie - $150

While I still collect some hockey, I've sold all my NFL football and still selling off my baseball collection. For what I paid and collected and later sold in other sports, I've been able to put together a museum like collection for soccer.

I still enjoy seeing much of the baseball items here on the forum.

I love it Copa! I too changed my collecting focus over the last couple years and although I had asked my self, several times - what the hell am I doing? I pressed forward and have absolutely no regrets whatsoever.

Boy, you're not kidding about the low prices. Now I know nothing about the value of vintage Soccer memorabilia but those prices seem very low to me, especially the 1958 World Cup Program. For Pele, 1958 was his first Cup, and at only 17 years old, he was unbelievable. Now I knew it was his first World Cup, but I had no idea just how great he was until I just read it on Wikipedia...

His first match in the World Cup was against the USSR in the first round of the 1958 FIFA World Cup, on the third game of the Cup, alongside Garrincha, Zito and Vavá where he gave the assist to Vavá's second goal.[66] He was the youngest player of that tournament, and at the time the youngest ever to play in the World Cup.[67] He scored his first World Cup goal against Wales in quarterfinals, the only goal of the match, to help Brazil advance to semifinals, while becoming the youngest ever World Cup goalscorer at 17 years and 239 days.[64] Against France in the semifinal, Brazil was leading 2–1 at halftime, and then Pelé scored a hat-trick, becoming the youngest in World Cup history to do so.[68][69]

On 19 June 1958 Pelé became the youngest player to play in a World Cup final match at 17 years and 249 days. He scored two goals in the final as Brazil beat Sweden 5–2. His first goal, a lob over a defender followed by a precise volley shot, was selected as one of the best goals in the history of the World Cup.[70] Following Pelé's second goal, Swedish player Sigvard Parling would later comment; "When Pelé scored the fifth goal in that Final, I have to be honest and say I felt like applauding".[71] When the match ended, Pelé passed out on the field, and had to be attended by the medical staff.[8] He then recovered, and was visibly compelled by the victory; in tears as he was being congratulated by his teammates. He finished the tournament with six goals in four matches played, tied for second place, behind record-breaker Just Fontaine, and was named young player of the tournament.

And you pick-up the '58 Official World Cup Program for just $500? I think you did pretty damn good on that one!

Good for you Copa and keep it up! My best, Jimmy

BTW... I would love to see scans of those three pieces...

scmavl
08-01-2012, 01:18 PM

I've seen that before and always thought it was one of the nicest autos I've ever, ever seen. I didn't know it was yours and now that I know you, I see why you would've given anything for it! Perfect, Jimmy.

Copa7
08-01-2012, 04:55 PM
thekingofclout - thanks. I am enjoying the luxury of getting in at the ground floor of soccer collecting in America. The same cannot be said in Europe and South America where prices have been skyrocketing for memorabilia.

Jarrod.Perkins - I have this 1964 Topps Giant autographed by Harmon Killebrew.

http://i.imgur.com/dnK16.jpg (http://imgur.com/dnK16)

steve B
08-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I collect a pretty wide range of stuff. But with all of it I'm on the lower end of things.

What's fun is finding a great item going overlooked at a low price.
The few things I've spent real money on have been pretty special but still somewhat inexpensive.

Racing bike - 1200 for a 1987-88 7-11 team time trail bike. All original which is very uncommon for racing bikes.

stamp - 330 for a 90cent treasury dept with specimen overprint from 1875. Only 72 were sold, making it more rare than the upside down airplane stamp that goes for about as much as a Wagner. There were 100 of those.

Card- I think around 280 for an SGC 80 polar bear Bill Graham. Really incredibly nice for a Polar Bear, and the best of that player and brand by a few grades.

All my other collectible hobbies I don't think I've spent much at all Nearly everything else has been well under 100, usually less than 20. And a lot of it is still really cool.

Steve B

Frozen in Time
08-01-2012, 05:32 PM
With your permission Jimmy, here is something on the opposite end of the spectrum. Found along with a 1960 Post cereal Frank Gifford that were used as backing in a frame my brother picked up at a local flea market and gave me. The accompanying photo is not the one I have but mine is cut large, with even borders, sharp corners no creases, paper wrinkles or any other surface flaws. The accompanying "bios" for both were in between the "cards".

Who would have known!!!

thisisradioclash
08-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I paid about $500 for a '53 Topps Satchel Paige in very nice shape. Almost the same for a Koufax rookie, also in Very Good-ish, maybe a little better shape.

I picked up a beater '49 Bowman Paige for a song, and I'd like to round out the Satchel Paige collection with a '48 Leaf Paige, too, but that'll probably cost me a bit more than $500 :D

scmavl
08-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Copa - Very nice! I have the same card framed and sitting 4 feet behind me in my office right now. :) Although your signature looks better, mine is rushed and in purple, making it hard to read against his black sleeve.

I've showed it here multiple times before but I think it's still my most expensive piece. 1960 original handpainted Topps Flexichrome of Killebrew & Colavito ('59 home run leaders) for a card that was never produced because Rocky was traded. The colors look absolutely amazing in person. I really don't remember what I paid for it though...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Grz0B5RX2Sg/TiSUtUlaGVI/AAAAAAAABPI/MPhRlBMLGes/s400/Colavito+Killebrew+flexi.jpg

I also pulled a Yount rookie from a '75 rack pack last year. I got it graded and it received a PSA 9. Flipped it.

thekingofclout
08-03-2012, 07:54 AM
I've seen that before and always thought it was one of the nicest autos I've ever, ever seen. I didn't know it was yours and now that I know you, I see why you would've given anything for it! Perfect, Jimmy.

Thanks Jarrod. Especially for not thinking I'm nuts for giving up what I did for it. ;) Also, good story on pulling a Mint 75 Yount! :eek:

With your permission Jimmy, here is something on the opposite end of the spectrum. Found along with a 1960 Post cereal Frank Gifford that were used as backing in a frame my brother picked up at a local flea market and gave me. The accompanying photo is not the one I have but mine is cut large, with even borders, sharp corners no creases, paper wrinkles or any other surface flaws. The accompanying "bios" for both were in between the "cards".

Who would have known!!!

And Craig. Forgive me for my ignorance :o but I'm not familiar with that Mantle piece. However, your enthusiasm tells me it's something special. So what is it and what's it's worth? :)

Wymers Auction
08-03-2012, 08:31 AM
I paid about $500 for a '53 Topps Satchel Paige in very nice shape. Almost the same for a Koufax rookie, also in Very Good-ish, maybe a little better shape.

I picked up a beater '49 Bowman Paige for a song, and I'd like to round out the Satchel Paige collection with a '48 Leaf Paige, too, but that'll probably cost me a bit more than $500 :D

If you ever find a 48 Paige for $500 I am going shopping with you!!!LOL!!!

Frozen in Time
08-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks Jarrod. Especially for not thinking I'm nuts for giving up what I did for it. ;) Also, good story on pulling a Mint 75 Yount! :eek:

And Craig. Forgive me for my ignorance :o but I'm not familiar with that Mantle piece. However, your enthusiasm tells me it's something special. So what is it and what's it's worth? :)

Jimmy,

This is a 1960 Post Cereal Mantle “card”, the key card from one of the most substantial and rarest sets of the 1960s. The debut of Post “Grape-Nuts Flakes” in 1960 was the means for the introduction of Post's glorious "Sports Stars" series. Each box featured a spectacular card covering a 7" x 8-3/4" area of the back panel. It is widely regarded as one of Mickey's toughest issues and without a doubt one of his hardest to find. These over-sized cards were never issued in packs, but were the back panels of Post Cereal Grape-Nut boxes. Kids would often cut the panels from the cereal box and then pin or tape them to the wall, which is why so many of the 1960 Post panels come in low grades with pin holes and tape residue.

Mantle is the key card from the set and 1960 Post Cereals have always been the "king" of all Post Cereal cards. They are large, beautiful, and rare not just because they were issued only one card per box; they are just rare, and this was the first year of issue for Post Cereal baseball cards. In the "old days" of the organized hobby, 1960 Post were always known for their mythic rarity, and were among the most valuable cards of the era. 1960 Post cards were the first, and by far the rarest, of the Post Cereal issues of the early 1960s. For the reasons stated above, this an extremely condition-sensitive card. 10-15 years ago mine would have fetched around $2,200.

In todays market, with the unattached “Bio” it is probably worth around $1,500 and the Gifford around $350. Not bad for backing in an old picture frame!

Runscott
08-04-2012, 10:13 AM
This thread really helped me put my own collecting habits in perspective. I look at most items as liquid assets, so as long as I have market knowledge, disposable income and it's a bargain, WTF - why not?

I've spent a lot for large card lots, but for single items, not so much:

card - T206 Magie in poor condition
photo - cabinet of 1906 Pirates