PDA

View Full Version : Threw an expecting card away...

HOF Auto Rookies
05-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you have purchased a card, and you were so ecstatic about that card, could it be that you accidentally threw it away?

Well, that's what happened with this card:

This just sucks, never happened to me before. The worst part of this, it's not the money being lost, it's just how unique the card is, and I'll never be able to hold it.

I know it's not a Cobb T206, but it is to me. It's my Cobb. He is a tough autograph, on an early card. I'm young, and I may have only spent $100, that's still a lot for me. I don't care about how much it is, because you can't necessarily put a price on the monetary value of this card.

RIP Frankie

Jay Wolt
05-29-2012, 07:36 PM
I never threw away a card, but I sure as hell misplaced a bunch.
I'm hoping that they eventually turn up.
Sorry about the Frisch

rainier2004
05-29-2012, 07:46 PM
That sucks...sorry about that. And no, Ive never thrown a card away, my car key yes, but a card no.

martin neal
05-29-2012, 10:32 PM
I"ve never thrown a card away, but I have spent the last month looking for my passport.

alanu
05-29-2012, 10:48 PM
I never threw a card away, but I did drop a t206 Joss one time and rolled over it with my chair. It was in a card saver but it added a nice crease to it.

tjb1952tjb
05-29-2012, 11:10 PM
I never threw a card away, but I did drop a t206 Joss one time and rolled over it with my chair. It was in a card saver but it added a nice crease to it.

Ouch!!!!

sbfinley
05-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Last time we moved I found cards everywhere I wouldn't expect. There was even an SGC graded card in the baby's crib.

Rob D.
05-30-2012, 04:17 AM
I remember once throwing away a card accidentally, but I don't think it was expecting. Heck, I don't think it had ever been kissed.

Pat R
05-30-2012, 04:37 AM
Last time we moved I found cards everywhere I wouldn't expect. There was even an SGC graded card in the baby's crib.

Was that baby Finster?

David W
05-30-2012, 06:46 AM
I cut one in half once opening an envelope from ebay, and then threw it away.

Does that count?

ullmandds
05-30-2012, 06:49 AM
nope...just cut a corner off one?!

BradH
05-30-2012, 07:10 AM

On a cold, rainy day a couple years ago I decided to break the boredom by reaching into my stash of unopened wax packs and cracking a few open. I pulled out one pack each of 1980-83 Topps. After opening each pack, I admired all of the cards, relived the memories of opening them as a kid, then placed the cards in a stack on my desk before moving on to the next pack.

The last pack (’83) yielded a perfect, gorgeous Tony Gwynn rookie. As I reached to grab a Cardsaver holder with my right hand, my left hand hit the edge of my desk and I dropped the whole stack of ‘83s on the floor (with the Gwynn on top). A hefty bend appeared in the top right corner of several cards, with poor Tony taking the hardest hit.

Bye-bye perfect beauty.

ullmandds
05-30-2012, 07:15 AM
I did accidentally throw away a super bowl II press pin once...that one stings to this day!!!!!

bn2cardz
05-30-2012, 07:42 AM

I was recently trying to find a card that I knew I had just rearranged the display of the day prior. It was sitting on top of a picture frame that acts as a shelf for some graded cards. Yet I could not find it anywhere. I asked my wife if she had seen it.

Finally I told her the only thing I could think of was that the card had fallen and my 20 month old daughter had gotten it. So my wife went up stairs looking for it and found it in my daughters room next to her toys.

I decided it could be hers if she wanted it that bad so now it is displayed in her room.

My wife threw a present she gave me once when she was cleaning up the wrapping and boxes she thought I had taken it out of a box. I hadn't, yet we figured that one out before the trash was taken to the dumpster. That is the closest I have gotten to something thrown out.

usernamealreadytaken
05-30-2012, 07:47 AM
"[h]ow many of you have purchased a card, and you were so ecstatic about that card, could it be that you accidentally threw it away?"

I haven't had much coffee yet today, but I don't understand the causal relationship between (1) being excited about receiving a card and (2) throwing it in the garbage?

iggyman
05-30-2012, 07:59 AM
Back in the day, before I discovered prewar cards, women use to do that to me all the time :p.

Lovely Day...

"I haven't had much coffee yet today, but I don't understand the causal relationship between (1) being excited about receiving a card and (2) throwing it in the garbage?

calvindog
05-30-2012, 08:01 AM
I remember once throwing away a card accidentally, but I don't think it was expecting. Heck, I don't think it had ever been kissed.

I hate that you wake up earlier than me.

docpatlv
05-30-2012, 08:30 AM
I hate that you wake up earlier than me.

I agree, quality stuff at 6am, I'm impressed:D.

HOF Auto Rookies
05-30-2012, 10:10 AM
"[h]ow many of you have purchased a card, and you were so ecstatic about that card, could it be that you accidentally threw it away?"

I haven't had much coffee yet today, but I don't understand the causal relationship between (1) being excited about receiving a card and (2) throwing it in the garbage?

I was excited and looking forward to receiving this card, and I was delivered to me (tracking number confirms) on the 24th, and must not have sorted through my mail well enough, and off it goes into the recycling...

JeremyW
07-17-2012, 04:21 PM
This Frisch card just sold on Ebay, minutes ago. Sorry about the late notice. I just made the connection.

Deertick
07-17-2012, 04:58 PM
This Frisch card just sold on Ebay, minutes ago. Sorry about the late notice. I just made the connection.

Ended with no bids. I guess he, or someone else from Minnesota, found it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Frankie-Frisch-167-Baseball-Card-/150854359303?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item231f9ed907

zljones
07-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Wow I just love how the seller made up that elaborate story, to go with the listing.

atx840
07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Great find.

I'm wondering if it never was deliver and signed by the postal worker and here it is. Very odd, definitely requires more looking into.

Davy_Kangaroo_Jones
07-17-2012, 06:29 PM
Never threw a card away. But had a "houseguest" steal a high grade Nolan Ryan rookie from me.

Never tried to prove they took it or accuse them. Had to just eat the cost.

Still pisses me off to this day.

And trust me, I know who took it..

scooter729
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Ended with no bids. I guess he, or someone else from Minnesota, found it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Frankie-Frisch-167-Baseball-Card-/150854359303?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item231f9ed907

In defense of the original poster, who seems to know something about baseball, whoever wrote that auction description wrote it as if they knew nothing about baseball cards. So maybe this was something which got stolen in the mail and the thief tried to re-sell? One heck of an attempted ruse for a $25 sale otherwise....

2dueces
07-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Can't find my Emmitt Smith rookie card out of the 1990 sub set issued after the original set. Still drives me crazy even though it is a $10 card. :)

HOF Auto Rookies
07-17-2012, 08:52 PM
What can I do here?

atx840
07-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Both from Minnesota...either they stole it or the signature is yours and he found it in the trash, but why makeup the grandather story?I'm highly suspicious. I'd call the postal service on it and have them investigate further.

Deertick
07-17-2012, 09:01 PM
What can I do here?

Buy the card for $25. While you can prove that you purchased it, you can't prove you didn't sell it. It also may be fun to eff with him once you have the card. He'd be my new hobby for a week or so.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-17-2012, 09:25 PM
I contacted the original seller, who was extremely cooperative with me two months ago about this. Just simply asked him to please cooperate in this as I'm contacting eBay about the item.

I'm never doing another transaction without signature confirmation ever again. This is ridiculous and unethical.

carrigansghost
07-17-2012, 10:35 PM
I realize you're extremely upset with this situation, however, be clear minded while pursueing this. I would not accuse anyone of wrong doing without actual proof. Go through the proper channels andthis will work out.

Sometimes I go off without thinking and letting things work out. You have found the card, let's not make it disappear again.

Rawn

HOF Auto Rookies
07-18-2012, 08:49 PM
So, found the dumbass. His username is his actual name. Talked to my apartment management to search my building with the last name and see if the first two initials match up, they do. So the dumbass uses his real name as his ID and same city and state. Polic are searching tomorrow.

carrigansghost
07-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Great news!!!!

Rawn

Matthew H
07-19-2012, 12:25 AM
So, found the dumbass. His username is his actual name. Talked to my apartment management to search my building with the last name and see if the first two initials match up, they do. So the dumbass uses his real name as his ID and same city and state. Polic are searching tomorrow.

He lives in your building!? "Kick his ass seabass!"

Pat R
07-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Hope you get your card and he is charged with the crime.
Great job by JeremyW and Jim M

CobbSpikedMe
07-19-2012, 05:37 AM
Wow. What a great development to the story here. I hope you get your card back too.

7nohitter
07-19-2012, 06:07 AM
This is getting interesting.....

I bought a '57 Frank Robinson and waited for 7,8,9 days for it to arrive in the mail....never showed.....One day a neighbor comes over to me asking if I've been 'missing' any mail....turns out he, and a few others on the street were not getting USPS items they had been expecting either.....mail thief!.
Sooooo annoying as I bought that Robinson for a great price (psa 7) and have not had the opportunity to purchase one since.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-19-2012, 08:18 AM
Yeah was a surprise, but it was so easy to figure out. Who can be dumb enough to make a new eBay user id with your actual name? rsbrown2020. Went to management office, said search the last name "brown" and see if the "r" matches his first name initial and the "s" matches his middle name initial. And voila, it does. Called authorities last night, and hopefully that bastard still has the card.

Would love to find him and pummel him, but don't want to get in trouble either lol. Most likely h'd have no chance, as I'm 6'4" 220 of pretty solid muscle from when I was training to play ball but got injured.

Just want the card, if not, going to court for restitution.

Thank you to everyone who found this link, surprised it didn't sell. But it didn't have autograph in the title, and they didn't know the issue of the card. The officer even commented on how they are pretty unsophisticated lol.

sylbry
07-19-2012, 09:04 AM
If you threw the card away how is someone else finding it in the trash and selling it on ebay a crime or "unethical"?

Quite frankly if I found something that had been disposed of and may have value I would put it on ebay to try and get something for it.

No offense to the OP but from reading this thread I can only see one "dumbass" and it isn't the current seller.

Granted, if it was stolen that would be a different story. But that will be hard to prove, especially since there is a thread on the internet on how the card was thrown away.

Edited to add - But I do hope you get your card back. And if you do, starting this thread will certainly have served you well.

cwazzy
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
If you threw the card away how is someone else finding it in the trash and selling it on ebay a crime or "unethical"?

Quite frankly if I found something that had been disposed of and may have value I would put it on ebay to try and get something for it.

No offense to the OP but from reading this thread I can only see one "dumbass" and it isn't the current seller.

Granted, if it was stolen that would be a different story. But that will be hard to prove, especially since there is a thread on the internet on how the card was thrown away.

Edited to add - But I do hope you get your card back. And if you do, starting this thread will certainly have served you well.

I think that since the DC showed it had been delivered that he thought he must have thrown it away. I might have thought the same thing. But it seems fairly obvious that it was either stolen or just delivered to the wrong apartment.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-19-2012, 09:38 AM

Respect your thoughts, but I "assumed" I threw it away, so I thought. You cannot prove that I threw it away either, but when the authorities come knocking on his door, we will then know the truth. I don't get any mail whatsoever, other than eBay purchases or BST purchases, and I know EXACTLY when my cards come. There was no possible way did I think I threw it away, but I chalked it up as that.

I realize I could be a complete dumbass in doing so, but I have never come close to throwing a card away, I just figured I may have, it is pretty difficult to throw away a buddle mailer when that is the only thing I receive in regards to mail other than bills. I would rather throw those away :P

But, I do hope I get it back.

HOF Auto Rookies
07-19-2012, 09:43 AM
I think that since the DC showed it had been delivered that he thought he must have thrown it away. I might have thought the same thing. But it seems fairly obvious that it was either stolen or just delivered to the wrong apartment.

Exactly what I assumed, but with the trash in my building, there is no possible way someone would go through it. It has every trash from 100+ different apartments/town homes/ and condo's. 4+ large garbage/recycling dumpsters, with hundreds and hundres of trash bags. Then the garbage truck brings those right to the truck and pretty much crunches the trash. So would be destroyed.

In the previous post above yours, I don't expect him to have known that, so he is correct in his assumptions. But based off how this played out, which I thought was fairly obvious, to conclude I didn't toss it.

sylbry
07-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Respect your thoughts, but I "assumed" I threw it away, so I thought. You cannot prove that I threw it away either, but when the authorities come knocking on his door, we will then know the truth. I don't get any mail whatsoever, other than eBay purchases or BST purchases, and I know EXACTLY when my cards come. There was no possible way did I think I threw it away, but I chalked it up as that.

I realize I could be a complete dumbass in doing so, but I have never come close to throwing a card away, I just figured I may have, it is pretty difficult to throw away a buddle mailer when that is the only thing I receive in regards to mail other than bills. I would rather throw those away :P

But, I do hope I get it back.

By all means take my comments for what they are worth, nothing. Just giving the new seller then benefit of the doubt. Maybe it was really found in the trash? Maybe it exchanged hands more than once before it ended up on ebay?

Then again maybe the card was delivered to the seller's residence and instead of doing the decent thing by finding it's owner or at least the sender, the seller committed mail fraud and opened and kept something not meant for him or her.

But whatever the real story may be it looks like this will have a happy ending. Kudos to the forum.

T206Collector
07-19-2012, 10:05 AM

+1

HOF Auto Rookies
07-19-2012, 10:09 AM
By all means take my comments for what they are worth, nothing. Just giving the new seller then benefit of the doubt. Maybe it was really found in the trash? Maybe it exchanged hands more than once before it ended up on ebay?

Then again maybe the card was delivered to the seller's residence and instead of doing the decent thing by finding it's owner or at least the sender, the seller committed mail fraud and opened and kept something not meant for him or her.

But whatever the real story may be it looks like this will have a happy ending. Kudos to the forum.

Couldn't agree with you more if I was looking from the outside in. We just won't know until the police go to his place and find out the story. But, looking good for right now.

Matthew H
07-19-2012, 10:16 AM

If your neighbor found a piece of mail with your name on it in the trash, found something valuable inside, then listed it on eBay, that would be ok with you? If it were me, I'd have taken the package to him unopened... Actually it wouldn't have been me because I don't rifle through the trash that often. (and i don't think it was ever in the trash)

HOF Auto Rookies
07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
If your neighbor found a piece of mail with your name on it in the trash, found something valuable inside, then listed it on eBay, that would be ok with you? If it were me, I'd have taken the package to him unopened... Actually it wouldn't have been me because I don't rifle through the trash that often. (and i don't think it was ever in the trash)

+1

sylbry
07-19-2012, 12:16 PM

If something is discarded it is fair game for whomever finds it. Never done it, never intend to do it, but won't complain if someone finds treasure in my trash. I had my chance. Can't expect someone to ask me if I meant to throw it away.

The board was ready to convict the new seller. Almost two months past between the expected delivery and the listing. Who knows where the card was or who had it during that time. All I am saying is there is no reason to jump to a conclusion.

But I do owe the OP an apology as based on his description of the trash, it is more likely than not this is the result of no fault of his own.

And I certainly hope the OP will update this thread as to the conclusion.

Deertick
07-19-2012, 05:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you have purchased a card, and you were so ecstatic about that card, could it be that you accidentally threw it away?

Well, that's what happened with this card:

This just sucks, never happened to me before. The worst part of this, it's not the money being lost, it's just how unique the card is, and I'll never be able to hold it.

I know it's not a Cobb T206, but it is to me. It's my Cobb. He is a tough autograph, on an early card. I'm young, and I may have only spent $100, that's still a lot for me. I don't care about how much it is, because you can't necessarily put a price on the monetary value of this card.

RIP Frankie

BTW, contact Leon and see if he can change your vote in the poll to "No". :D

novakjr
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Not cards that I was expecting. But occasionally, I'd grab the mail on my way out of the house, and open it in my van... I had a few cards in a compartment, that I just didn't take into the house yet.. When I finally decided to junk the van, I apparently cleaned every compartment but that one. Nothing expensive, but definitely an OOOOPS moment. Went to the junkyard when I noticed(two days later), and the van was already crushed. Oh Well...

HOF Auto Rookies
07-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Well, got some GREAT news! FRANKIE IS BACK HOME!!! The authorities have recovered my card, after a B.S. story, and the person is going to be charged for the theft as well.

I would like to thank everyone so much for reporting that my card was listed on the bay, I appreciate it so much for everyone's help. I'm glad this was resolved.

- Brent

CobbSpikedMe
07-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Brent

I'm very happy to hear you got the card back. I was hoping to read this post eventually.

Thanks,

AndyH

HOF Auto Rookies
07-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Brent

I'm very happy to hear you got the card back. I was hoping to read this post eventually.

Thanks,

AndyH

Thanks Andy! Me too, I was extremely saddened and the seller felt bad for me, but I could not take a refund or other cards from him (which he offered me), because I felt like that would be unethical, because I felt 100% this was my fault (that I threw it away). But, I didn't, I just never got it lol.

- Brent