PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever see any printing gaffes, handcut cards or other errors from the e103 set?

shammus
05-26-2012, 12:22 AM
From what I gather, this appears to be a pretty clean set without any errors, variations, overprints on the back, etc.. that I've ever seen at least. Was just curious if anyone else has ever noticed anything unusual.

On very rare occasions, you'll see one with oversized borders like this Donovan here. Makes me think there may have been some sort of advertising panel or box that Williams Caramel might have produced to advertise their candy. Of course, someone could have just simply pulled a perfectly good sheet off the press and decided to manually cut up the cards instead.

The lower part of the Donovan is actually consistant with the normal width of these cards. The top half however is significantly oversized. So, this isnt a diamond cut, in fact, it's more of a "trapezoid cut" which you don't see on cards too often. That combined with the wavy look of the borders makes me think that there are a few handcut examples out there at least. They'd have a blank back of course, but since the regular issued cards also have blank backs, these examples can be harder to spot.

I've also noticed a couple tiny nuances such as the Dooin tends to be a really dark maroon instead of the bright red color. In addition, every so often an e103 will turn up in a lighter shade of red, maybe even almost pink in color. Almost as if the printer was getting a little low on red. Aside from those minor things, there doesn't appear to be much but I'm curious what you all think....

Leon
05-26-2012, 08:45 AM
As someone who watches for errors quite a bit I haven't seen any to speak of with E103, except what you have mentioned.

terjung
05-26-2012, 09:15 AM
The only real difference I've noticed in them is the difference in the background color. For example, the Wagner tends to have a darker, almost burgandy color while others like Jennings or maybe Matty tend to be a lighter or brighter red. I've never seen any oversized, oddly cut ones like the one you've shown.

shammus
05-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I've not seen too many with oversized borders at all. I can only think of two actually. The other one being a Jennings. However there's no telltale way to determine if an e103 is handcut or not unless the borders are wavy or oversized like this Donovan is. Everything else about the card, the colors, registration, captions, etc... are all the same.

danmckee
05-27-2012, 08:14 AM
I have an E103 Ghost card.

atx840
05-27-2012, 08:15 AM
Did someone say ghost?