PDA

View Full Version : 1914-1915 Basketball Stamps

aelefson
05-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Hi-
I acquired these at an ephemera show several months ago and I finally got around to posting them! As you can see, there is one stamp titled "Basketball Champions of Iowa 1914 Grinnell College Grinnell Iowa". The other two are still connected and the top one reads "1914-15 Basket Ball Team Christian Brothers College St Louis Missouri". The bottom one pictures the "Arcadians-One of the C.B.C. Junior Teams Christian Brothers College St Louis Missouri".

Has anyone ever seen these before? Are there more to the set? I purchased these from a dealer who specializes in poster stamps (the Youth Companion Ruth/Marquard stamp is considered a poster stamp like these are) and he had not seen any others for basketball. I believe he had sold one or two baseball and football ones before I got to the show (I would have gladly bought them as well). Any information regarding these would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com

Vintage Basketball Pat
05-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi Alan...

I've never seen those. Are you convinced they are from the period and not made later?

Those are a neat vintage basketball find!

aelefson
05-26-2012, 06:38 PM
Pat-
Thanks, I really like them too. I am 100% certain they are from the period. There are other real photo poster stamps from the same time period, and the dealer I purchased these from is considered one of the leading experts on poster stamps.
Alan

Leon
05-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Here is a baseball one (lower right) along with some other stamps....All I know is I believe it to be from 1915. I think I got it from Scott Gaynor....and it was only several months ago, through ebay. I think it was around $50 or so.....

aelefson
05-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Thanks Leon! I think Scott is the guy who beat me to the dealer at the ephemera show. There is always a lot of competition at these events. Now at least there is one baseball, and three basketball, but I think there is at least one more football one out there. I am guessing there might be others as well, but I know the dealer had sold at least one baseball and one football prior to my arrival. Thanks again for showing the baseball one.
Alan