PDA

View Full Version : How common does a TPG refund $ based on original overgrade

rainier2004
05-25-2012, 11:18 AM
So I love to bust slabs, but I like $ and then busting slabs more. Ive never approached either PSA or SGC to regrade a card and get a refund on VCP as Ive heard other members describe. Does it have to be completely blatant ie pinhole in a 6 or do they just regrade the card and give you the difference? Any help?

rainier2004
05-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Really guys, no one has ANY experience sending a card back in? SGC says they may replace the card but Ive only heard of them reimbursing the price difference. Any stories would be appreciated.

Leon
05-26-2012, 12:24 PM
PSA refunded Andy B. when they slabbed a fake Sporting News Ruth and he got stuck with it (several years ago). I know of a several hundred dollar card that SGC had me buy, in their holder and on ebay, so they could take it off the market. It was a skinned E97 black and white that they shouldn't have holdered.

danmckee
05-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Hey Leon, was that E97 B&W the same one I bought and returned and was crucified on here by some dude for returning an SGC graded card?

Leon
05-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Hey Leon, was that E97 B&W the same one I bought and returned and was crucified on here by some dude for returning an SGC graded card?

It might have been Dan....I don't remember. I know I personally bought it on ebay at the direction of SGC. I sent it to them and they paid me for it. Not sure of the provenance or the history of it before I saw it on ebay.

I guess it was...after a quick search..

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=83924&highlight=e97+skinned

danmckee
05-27-2012, 06:34 PM
Nice! I commend SGC for pulling it! Touche!

See Rob who had Pete sell this for him, card was skinned AS I STATED when I returned it.

I think his girl friend at the time didn't like the way I talked to him or something.

Pup6913
05-27-2012, 10:47 PM
There is a Cobb ghost on the back of a common slabbed by SGC I found at the Baltimore national. I questioned the dot matrix make up before purchase and took it to them. They agreed to reimburse me for the price I paid but since it wasn't mine I told them the dealer and table that had it. Never heard wether or not it was removed from the hobby or not but they were really cool about it and admitted that it was a mistake. Now if I bought a card to blaghtently demand a refund that falls in a gray area of morals. You are either helping clean the hobby up and giving the card up or you are looking at making money and keeping the card which I think is wrong. JMO

rainier2004
05-28-2012, 08:48 AM
There is a Cobb ghost on the back of a common slabbed by SGC I found at the Baltimore national. I questioned the dot matrix make up before purchase and took it to them. They agreed to reimburse me for the price I paid but since it wasn't mine I told them the dealer and table that had it. Never heard wether or not it was removed from the hobby or not but they were really cool about it and admitted that it was a mistake. Now if I bought a card to blaghtently demand a refund that falls in a gray area of morals. You are either helping clean the hobby up and giving the card up or you are looking at making money and keeping the card which I think is wrong. JMO

I won the 1940 PB set from REA and the williams is grossly overgraded as a 3 with a rip in the card, I would want a refund before I break the slab open - thanks for the morality thought...