PDA

View Full Version : Major "New York Times' Article on Jefferson Burdick

GregMitch34
05-22-2012, 06:06 AM
Big piece on front page of sports section and on front page of their Web site now, on Burdick and more. Even gets into why some cards are "t" and others are "e." I attended a special evening program at the Met Museum, where his cards on based, last month, with talk on Burdick and cards by archivists, writers, Dale Murphy and Jackie Robinson's daughter. Then the great rock group The Baseball Project (with former REM members) played a full set, I suggest you check out their videos on You Tube. Here is NYT story today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/22/sports/baseball/baseball-card-collecting-was-lifes-work-for-jefferson-burdick.html?

barrysloate
05-22-2012, 06:27 AM
Most interesting part of the article was the short interview with William Mackay, who remembered meeting Burdick as a teenager in the late 1950's. Not a lot of people still around who can say they met him.

frankbmd
05-22-2012, 09:49 AM
Most interesting part of the article was the short interview with William Mackay, who remembered meeting Burdick as a teenager in the late 1950's. Not a lot of people still around who can say they met him.

My dad worked at Crouse-Hinds in Syracuse briefly in 1939 or 1940 when Burdick was there. Never got a chance to ask him whether he knew him.
Too late now.

SetBuilder
05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
What a great article. Love the NY Times.

christopher.herman
05-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up Mitch. Great article.
How did you find out about/get into that Met event? Was it for the general public?
That would be something that I, along with other Net54ers I'm sure, would be very interested in.

bender07
05-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Great article.

As a Syracusian, I find it interesting that we boast both the Father of Baseball Card in Burdick and a high profile bat maker in Joseph Kren. Sizeable impact in the baseball memorabilia world from a relatively small city.

Pup6913
05-22-2012, 01:39 PM
Great read. Wish I could have met a man like that to talk cards with. Maybe Carter should have said "Burdick was the Ty Cobb of card collecting.".

batsballsbases
05-22-2012, 01:45 PM
Very nice story! Thanks Greg

glchen
05-22-2012, 03:30 PM
Great article.

GregMitch34
05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
Christopher Herman--That event at Met was advertised like any other thing there. Auditorium nearly filled with several hundred. LaTroy Hawkins showed up as guest of Jackie's daughter--he was in town for Yankees series. Bill Rhoden of NYT also on panel. The Baseball Project band is great and the lyrics of songs name drop like crazy--from Harvey Haddix to Ray Chapman to "Ted Fucking Williams."

christopher.herman
05-22-2012, 06:20 PM
That event at Met was advertised like any other thing there. Auditorium nearly filled with several hundred.

With all the T206 and PSA vs SGC threads on here, Greg, a heads up link before this event would have been a welcome sight.