PDA

View Full Version : An Ethical Thought Problem

Brianruns10
05-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Okay, going off of the thread I started about if you had a 52 topps high sheet, would you save it, or cut it, the interesting array of replies got me wondering:

Is there an ethical concern when it comes to cutting cards from a sheet? Because I keep going back and forth. I mean, is it deceptive in the same way as trimming an existing already cut card to artificially enhance it's condition? I mean, you're not enhancing anything, since the card is technically unfinished. You are finishing the job, and if it is done right, and the card is precisely as it should be if it had been cut originally, what is the harm? Would it make a difference, or would you want to know if a card had been cut from a sheet? Is one under any kind of obligation to make explicit the card he/she is selling was cut from a sheet, especially if they did the cutting? Or do you just pass it off as a card, straight and plain (much as the Gretsky Wagner card has been, despite pretty strong claims it was cut from a sheet).

What do you all think?

CW
05-20-2012, 11:05 AM
and the card is precisely as it should be if it had been cut originally,

That is the problem -- if you cut it yourself, by any means OTHER than the original cutters used by Topps/Goudey/Bowman/etc., then it is NOT cut "precisely as it should be". ANY card cut from a factory sheet by a collector is not original or authentic, and should never be deemed acceptable in our hobby. <-- that is a period used for emphasis ;)

brett 75
05-20-2012, 08:48 PM
Would that mean all Redman , Post , Wheaties, etc, not be authentic as those are all cut by people everywhere . Cards cut from a sheet in my opinion are authentic . They left the factory uncut . Does it really matter who cut them ? Brett

drc
05-20-2012, 10:38 PM
It's ethical to say the cards were cut recently as whether or not they were cut recently matters to bidders and the market value. Also, many collectors won't consider at your local Kinko's to be 'factory cut.' Factory cut Topps cards means cut by Topps. I'm talking here specifically about Topps and Bowman type sheets, not Wheaties-- the latter is topic for a different post. A main difference with Wheaties type cards is they were intended to be cut by hand away from the factory. You cutting off a Ted Williams card in your living room is what Wheaties intended-- though you're doing is 60 years later. Topps cards were intended to be cut at the factory and the uncut sheets weren't made for the public.

In general, if there's information you don't want to disclose at sale as you have a fear it will lower the sell price, that's information you should be disclosing.

steve B
05-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Lots of interesting ways to go with this one.

I believe it's possible to cut a Topps sheet just as the factory would have. All you need is someone at a commercial printer willing to spend the time on the cutter.

I also think it's wrong to cut uncut sheets, even if the factory would have cut them.

The one I wish I could have saved was an 84 Topps sheet made for the mail in program they had. They allowed sending in wrappers or something for I think 20 cards of your choice so you could complete the set. Since the program was abused, with lots of people "needing" all the big stars they had a special sheet with 3 of each of the most popular players. I couldn't afford the one I saw, and it got sold as 3 card panels.

Other cards pose different problems.

Cards with coupons I consider trimmed without them. Redman, zeenut, Hires, most of the Pepsi sets etc.

Cards from boxes I see pretty much the same way. I woud collect complete boxes if I could, but it's not usually practical.

The 84 Nestles I think came as sheets. So I would consider any singles as trimmed since it would have been done after issue.

83 Topps were available as sheets too, but identical to the regular cards, so it would be very hard to tell.

And at least one of the Kelloggs sets I got came as 4 card panels with a tiny bit of backing paper connecting the cards. I've tried keeping them intact, but the cards are gradually making that decision for me.

Steve B

ALR-bishop
05-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Since I have the set, and since high number cards are easy to find, albeit expensive, I'd keep the sheet, which would be pretty unique. But if I owned it, I'd feel free to do whatever I wanted with it, regardless of what anyone else thought I should do.

Volod
05-21-2012, 11:44 PM
"...Or do you just pass it off as a card, straight and plain (much as the Gretsky Wagner card has been, despite pretty strong claims it was cut from a sheet)."
Wasn't that card the first one graded by PSA when they opened up for business? I seem to recall some allegations that it was trimmed, but, man, was there a suggestion that an uncut sheet was found and cut up in 1980's?

Exhibitman
05-24-2012, 12:05 PM
There is no ethical component per se to cutting down a sheet unless you are trying to pass off the resulting card as original for trade or sale. If that is your goal, I'd divide the cards into two classes: those meant to be cut out by the consumer and all others. If they were meant to be cut out by the consumer I see no issues at all. Wheaties, strip cards, etc., everyone knows that they originated at retail as sheets or strips and have been cut out by the consumer. If you are cutting down a Topps sheet to make a card of it in the hope that you can slip it past a TPG and get a high grade so you can sell it to someone without disclosure, however, I don't think it is brain-strainer to realize that you are doing wrong. The Golden Rule applies readily to the situation.