PDA

View Full Version : Is this a fake Walter Johnson.

toyman55
05-19-2012, 11:28 PM
coa by Authentic Autographs Unlimited signed by Drew Max of Pawn Stars.
I have to believe it is not real, whats your opinion on this.

GrayGhost
05-20-2012, 05:05 AM
That actually looks pretty solid to me. Does Dru get every one wrong? :)

Scott Garner
05-20-2012, 05:32 AM
Shale,
Do you have any clue as to when this postcard was allegedly signed?

toyman55
05-20-2012, 07:12 AM
The seller shows the postcard dated and stamped on the back at 1909 but that doesn't mean that was signed then. I have doubts this is real.

Scott Garner
05-20-2012, 07:31 AM
The seller shows the postcard dated and stamped on the back at 1909 but that doesn't mean that was signed then. I have doubts this is real.

I have doubts about it being real as well. There are some inconsistentcies in this sig that I do not see in my exemplars. It should also be noted that vintage postcards seem to be the common medium being used by forgers these days. This is absolutely not Walter's signature from 1909, FWIW.

RichardSimon
05-20-2012, 07:44 AM
I usually have differing opinions with the TV star and I have a differing opinion on this one too.
The upward tilting of the Johnson (:D) is harsh and obvious. The slow handwriting is obvious.
Hank Thomas are you there?
Shame to ruin a nice picture on a vintage postcard.

Hankphenom
05-20-2012, 06:31 PM
....be very afraid. Here's another one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walter-Johnson-Signed-Baseball-Postcard-Washington-Senators-Drew-V-Max-COA-/360456790376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53ece62168

It didn't sell, so of course he did what anyone would do with an item that didn't attract a bid, he relisted it with a doubled minimum:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251063342854

You'd think they'd at least be smart enough to float one of these at a time, but then who said crooks are smart?

The autographs themselves are scary good, all the more reason to be really careful who you buy from. Few collectors are in a position to try to decide whether these are genuine Johnsons or not. That's why you want a Keating (my pal, for full disclosure), Simon, Corcoran, Albersheim, etc, to give their blessing first. The two big guys know their stuff, too, but I'd feel better knowing that one of the well-regarded "little guys" has actually judged it for himself rather than an employee. One big red flag for me is always a generic item from the right time period, like these, instead of a baseball item. I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole.

gnaz01
05-20-2012, 06:47 PM
I have doubts about it being real as well. There are some inconsistentcies in this sig that I do not see in my exemplars. It should also be noted that vintage postcards seem to be the common medium being used by forgers these days. This is absolutely not Walter's signature from 1909, FWIW.

As Dave would say from Storage Wars on if he thinks this is NOT real, the answer in "YUUUUUUUP" :D

toyman55
05-21-2012, 12:12 AM
Here is the final sale of this item, It sold for $487.00. To bad, someone got taken.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251061505314?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2143wt_1271

mr2686
05-21-2012, 08:20 AM
My general rule of thumb regarding postcards and GPC's - If they are unused other than the autograph, or (if they are a picture postcard) have the sig on the front with either no writing on the back or unrelated writing from someone else, then the chances are good that the sig is bad.

bender07
05-21-2012, 11:03 AM
You know, it's really a shame that Drew Max is touted as an expert on a popular show like 'Pawn Stars' and that fact can be used in these types of listings. I would imagine the uneducated buyer recognizing his name and thinking the auto's good.

Has anyone ever reached out to Pawn Stars regarding Drew's shaky 'opinions'?

I have seen him say items were no good on the show once in a while (IIRC it was a Steve McQueen signed poster). Does he do a 'better' job on TV and a shoddy one off?

thetruthisoutthere
05-21-2012, 11:43 AM
You know, it's really a shame that Drew Max is touted as an expert on a popular show like 'Pawn Stars' and that fact can be used in these types of listings. I would imagine the uneducated buyer recognizing his name and thinking the auto's good.

Has anyone ever reached out to Pawn Stars regarding Drew's shaky 'opinions'?

I have seen him say items were no good on the show once in a while (IIRC it was a Steve McQueen signed poster). Does he do a 'better' job on TV and a shoddy one off?

Below is a link to my Drew Max Letter To Clergy blog that I wrote last October.

http://live.autographmagazine.com/profiles/blogs/drew-max-forensic-document-examiner-aau-fdr-letter-to-clergy-pawn

toyman55
05-22-2012, 04:33 PM
So I see ebay wised up and pulled this item off the sold and sent emails to anyone who bid not to buy off ebay on this.