PDA

View Full Version : Definition of Baseball Card

gorrister
05-16-2012, 05:22 PM
So, what's you definition of a baseball card. Wikipedia says: A baseball card is a type of trading card relating to baseball, usually printed on some type of paper stock or card stock. A card will usually feature one or more baseball players or other baseball-related sports figures. Cards are most often found in the US but are also common in countries such as Canada, Cuba, and Japan, where professional leagues are present with a substantial fan base to support them. Some companies that are notable for making these cards are Topps, Upper Deck, Fleer, Donruss, Bowman (which is a descendent of Topps), and Playoff Contenders. Baseball cards can be highly collectible. Many antique stores contain a wide variety of baseball cards. One reason for baseball cards being collectible is that they have been around for a long time. Some baseball cards can be worth thousands of dollars.

I think this definition is incomplete. To me, a baseball card must be made from some kind of paper product, have an image relating to baseball, was produced as an enticement to purchase a product, advertise a product or specifically for collecting. I believe this definition eliminates pins and such along with post cards and other assorted images. Also, I believe that a baseball card, when produced, is not unique in that multiples of the same card were manufactured. Also, I think some part of the definition needs to include the fact that it was produced as a part of a larger set.

What do you think?

steve B
05-16-2012, 06:46 PM
I don't worry much about it.

There's too many things that hit the edges of any defenition.

Like the Piedmont stamps. Paper? yep, Baseball image? yep, issued as enticement to buy a product? yep. Card????? Nope, maybe, :confused:

Postcard back exhibits? Paper, baseball, issued to collect OR send. They're cards, but also postcards, so the defenition seems to include some postcards, but not others.

Donruss puzzles? paper, baseball, oops, they were technically the product that the cards were the enticement to buy at first, then became the enticement to buy the cards, then became junk sort of. Cards???

Cards or not I'll collect them.

Steve B

drc
05-16-2012, 11:59 PM
Gorrister, can a postcard be a baseball card? Is there a size limit to a baseball card? For example, can a 8x10 inches supplement be a baseball card?

And what about Max Patkin? He was a baseball card wasn't he?