PDA

View Full Version : Expecting the worst- SGC poor

Leon
05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Just received my REA winnings (thanks REA). I was expecting the worst as I hadn't seen the backs of these SGC 10 cards yet. I wish all of my poor conditioned cards looked like these. Needless to say I am very happy with this set. I guess I am a set collector now?

http://luckeycards.com/pt2091sgcpoor3x.jpg
http://luckeycards.com/pt2091sgcpoor3xb.jpg

rainier2004
05-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Just received my REA winnings (thanks REA).

NIce Leon...but how did you get your cards already?

Leon
05-16-2012, 02:09 PM
NIce Leon...but how did you get your cards already?

Fedex

scooter729
05-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Great cards!

I mailed a check to REA from Boston on Monday, and it looks like they got it today, since I already received an email with my Fedex tracking information (2-day shipping). Most impressive!

dstraate
05-16-2012, 02:44 PM
How in the world did Gilmore grade as it did? What am I missing?

frankbmd
05-16-2012, 02:49 PM
How in the world did Gilmore grade as it did? What am I missing?

Winston-Salem not Winston-Sa

How do I know? My son just bought a house there.

Paper loss on the front I presume.

Nice 10s though.

Jay Wolt
05-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Leon fantastic looking 10's
Great service by Rob

k-dog
05-16-2012, 02:59 PM
Great looking cards. Good examples of why "technical" grading can be flawed!

tbob
05-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Leon- as we know SGC is brutal on back damage, even small damage, so SGC10s can often be really nice cards.
Congrats.
tbob

Hankphenom
05-16-2012, 03:30 PM
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I just don't get it. If these are 1s, does that mean that the most beat-to-hell cards you can possibly imagine would all also be 1s? That makes no sense to me at all.

Clutch-Hitter
05-16-2012, 04:15 PM
I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I just don't get it. If these are 1s, does that mean that the most beat-to-hell cards you can possibly imagine would all also be 1s? That makes no sense to me at all.

Yes, I agree, 1's/10's cover way too much ground.

Great cards Leon

kcohen
05-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Just received my REA winnings (thanks REA). I was expecting the worst as I hadn't seen the backs of these SGC 10 cards yet. I wish all of my poor conditioned cards looked like these. Needless to say I am very happy with this set. I guess I am a set collector now?

Welcome to the Dark Side.

gorrister
05-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Leon, interested in breaking up the set and selling just one? I only need one for my type set:)

danmckee
05-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Pathetically undergraded, someone must have submitted them under "Dan Mckee"

danmckee
05-16-2012, 06:00 PM
And you have always been a set collector brother!!! Remember thw Western Playground issue??

Bilko G
05-16-2012, 06:11 PM
wow, these are some of the most amazing "1's" i have ever seen!!!!

Leon
05-16-2012, 06:12 PM

Technically the grades are probably correct though I think I could argue for SGC20s. We have been over this many times. They are what they are and we need to buy cards and not slabs. The others in this set were really nice and I love the set, had been working on it onesy-twosy for a few years so decided to bite the bullet.

Steve- I have about 5 extras from the set I had been working on. I am sure we will talk..

Dan- Yes, and I acquired those Western PLaygrounds complete too.....I am not much on set collecting as I prefer types. I just always thought this was a cool looking, esoteric set so it fits.

Rob D.
05-16-2012, 06:16 PM
I remember the year Barry Sloate received his REA purchases the day after the auction ended (actually, he received them on Sunday, so technically it was the same day). That's when you know you've achieved rock-star status in the hobby. :)

barrysloate
05-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I remember the year Barry Sloate received his REA purchases the day after the auction ended (actually, he received them on Sunday, so technically it was the same day). That's when you know you've achieved rock-star status in the hobby. :)

I was just thinking about that recently. I remember a strange guy was ringing my doorbell kind of late Sunday night and I had no idea who it was. As I recall Rob saw me post something on the board about fast shipment and thought it would be funny to have the cards at my house the same day. I wasn't so polite to the delivery guy though.:(

And regarding Leon's SGC 10's, that's a good example of how TPG is solely about technical flaws. Eye appeal isn't even factored into the equation. That's why so many people don't like them.

mintacular
05-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Am curious...So REA did not bother to post pics of backs? If I was a consigner I'd be pissed if that was the case as I'm assuming most bidders assumed the backs were possibly trashed and obviously they are not...

3-2-count
05-17-2012, 07:00 AM
And regarding Leon's SGC 10's, that's a good example of how TPG is solely about technical flaws. Eye appeal isn't even factored into the equation. That's why so many people don't like them.

Well said Barry. This alone is what's screwy about TPG. Great cards Leon!

ls7plus
05-17-2012, 04:12 PM

We've had this discussion before, in a thread I started--eye appeal often trumps technical grade!

Stimulating thread, Leon, and great looking cards!

Best always,

Larry