PDA

View Full Version : Delays in Authentication from JSA

kaddyshack
05-15-2012, 07:37 PM
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced long delays in getting authentication services from James Spence. I took some items to him at the Chantilly show back in March. I dropped them off at the start of the show, then returned at the end of the show to pick up by LOAs. Everything was done except for the Snoopy drawing. They said that they needed more time to examine it. well, it's getting near June and I have not received anything. emails sent to JSA were replied with, " We're still examining it ". I can't believe this is normal ?

daves_resale_shop
05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I have used JSA for authentication on several occasions.. I have found their customer service to be excellent and turnaround times to be excellent... The only occasion which I experience a delay was when they needed additional time evaluating a signature (which I totally undderstand and appreciate). The outcome was that they couldn't render an opinion on the piece & my money was refunded...

HOF Auto Rookies
05-16-2012, 09:16 AM
That is such an awesome Snoopy drawing!! What is the history on that? Usually they are pretty quick, could be tough getting the comparables certifying that he drew that IMO

mighty bombjack
05-16-2012, 09:18 AM
Do they cert the drawing itself, or just the auto?

kaddyshack
05-16-2012, 11:31 AM
I picked up the Snoopy drawing years ago. Anyhow, I am not putting it up sale. I just wanted something for my files verifying it's authenticity. As to whether JSA will verify the drawing, signature, or both is a good question. I just filled in a standard submission form and paid $75 ? Hopefully, I will find out something very soon. In the mean time, I was going to send in another Snoopy drawing. It's a 3 X 5 card that has a drawing on one side and a signature on the other side. Enclosed are the scans.

travrosty
05-16-2012, 11:36 AM
There are a number of schulz fakes out there, snoopy drawings and others, with a signature of schulz, and schulz himself has even been fooled by them. he recognized them as his work when it wasn't.

jsa authenticates autographs, so i would think they wouldn't try to authenticate the drawing, however if the drawing is fake, the signature certainly is too.

earlywynnfan
05-16-2012, 02:18 PM
I know autograph alert did a bit piece on how many fake Peanuts drawings are out there a while back. It scared me off, that's for sure.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com

David Atkatz
05-16-2012, 02:37 PM
IMHO, those two items were not drawn and signed by the same person. The 3x5 is good; the larger drawing is not.

Mr. Zipper
05-16-2012, 05:29 PM
Unless the provenance was impeccable, I'd be very wary of the Shulz (or Jimmy Stewart Harvey) drawings. Very simple drawings that would be way too easy to light board.

Tuna82
05-16-2012, 05:46 PM
I used JSA last month for a Mantle ball that I knew was legit but needed a COA for selling purposes and they had it back to me a week after it reached them...I was pleasantly surprised

thecatspajamas
05-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Maybe the inclusion of the drawing in the piece is what's causing a delay? I may be wrong here, but I would think most signature authenticators would be comparing the signature to their signature exemplars that they have on file. Otherwise, you're talking "art" authentication (though with a simple line drawing, that might be closer to comparing signatures than, say, a painting).

Just my 2 cents, with the caveat that I have no idea how JSA handles such pieces.

drc
05-17-2012, 01:45 AM
I would assume JSA authenticates the signature only, thought the quality of the sketch would aid in making judgment.

I had two Schultz signed peanuts artworks sent to a newspaper for publication. The provenance was strong as they came from an editor at the newspaper and the signatures were personalized to the editor.

kaddyshack
05-17-2012, 06:59 AM
I appreciate everyone's opinions. I think that JSA is probably looking at the signature more than the sketch. If they are also examining the sketch, then I think I got my $75 worth. Anyhow, I am still waiting for their results.

GoldenAge50s
05-17-2012, 07:34 PM
I agree 100% w/ David---I do not think the same person did the drawing or the sig.

kaddyshack
06-12-2012, 10:17 AM
I just received the submission results today. Results were positive on the signature. No mention on the drawing (JSA #X44518).

Roy Z.

drc
06-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I should note that my earlier post was meant to mean that I assume JSA doesn't authenticate sketches in general. I wasn't offering an opinion on if this particular sketch.