PDA

View Full Version : Psa,bgs,sgc

g_vezina_c55
05-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Wich company do you prefer for your graded card ?
Wich grading service have your 100% confidence ?

ullmandds
05-15-2012, 01:41 PM
surely this has been discussed ad nauseum?

rainier2004
05-15-2012, 02:23 PM
None...

HOF Auto Rookies
05-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Don't even go their...crap is gunna hit the fan, gunna spread like a wild-fire, because everyone has their issues with grading compaines, better to just leave it alone lol

Peter_Spaeth
05-15-2012, 02:52 PM
surely this has been discussed ad nauseum?

Really? I must have missed it.

g_vezina_c55
05-15-2012, 03:04 PM
sorry i am on the board since a couple month... only...

Bilko G
05-15-2012, 03:12 PM
BGS 4 LIFE!!!!

Don't care about registry's, just like a nice, secure holder!!! BGS for me!!!

ullmandds
05-15-2012, 03:12 PM
There is quite an extensive archive on this site...atleast there used to be?!?! A quick search is always a good idea prior to starting such a thread. I'd guess you'll find many...many threads on the TPG's.

T206Collector
05-15-2012, 03:13 PM
This topic does get discussed quite a bit.

For T206, most of the folks on here prefer SGC for their graded cards, and cite to more consistency of grading and better/friendlier customer service.

The PSA supporters tend to cite higher prices realized at auction, and better attention to things like set registries.

Beckett does good work as well, but many people dislike the plastic baggies that come inside the capsule, since it detracts heavily from scanned images.

As far as grading is concerned, my experience has been SGC and PSA part ways in the grading range of 4-5-6. I have seen too many PSA 5s with wrinkles; yet a PSA 5 will be stricter on sharpness of corners than SGC is.

Matthew H
05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
I think BGS is the most consistent... But their cases are hard to crack open

Leon
05-15-2012, 04:29 PM
IMO, They are all good and none of them are perfect.

lancemountain
05-15-2012, 08:31 PM
I like my t206's in SGC and my sets from the 60-80's in psa

also I prefer my modern ginter in SGC

deadballpaul
05-16-2012, 12:28 AM
I will use any of those 3 grading companies. It just depends on the set I'm getting graded. Some I like in SGC holders, & others in PSA, etc...

glchen
05-16-2012, 12:40 AM
I use all three, but more of my cards are in PSA. As mentioned above, all three are accurate in determining authenticity of cards and alterations, so I have 100% confidence in purchasing my cards from any of these 3 TPG's. All of them can make mistakes in the number grade, so as always, you still need to evaluate the card in the holder when you buy and not only rely on the flip. Since I sell cards on ebay and tend to submit in bulk (often 50-100+ cards), I go w/ PSA since it tends to be slightly cheaper w/ them even w/ their rigid requirements that each card size (regular, postcard, etc) and service level be a separate submission each w/ their own return shipping charges. In terms of the holders, my opinion is that for standard size, I like SGC the best (best looking), with BVG next (sturdiest holder), and PSA worst (too thin). For postcard size, I like PSA better than SGC. The holders just seem to be sturdier to me, and I like the 5x7 PSA holders much better than SGC's. For the larger 6x9 holder, I like BVG slightly better than SGC since it's sturdier although too thick in my opinion. For 8x10 holders, BVG is the only game in town, which is fine. Again, I like their holders, but a little too thick for my tastes. For pins, I think only PSA slabs those. PSA does have a pretty big flaw in many of their holders in that the card can "float" in the holder if it's not a standard size. This can cause corner dings if the card is high grade, which is dumb. Some say that the SGC inserts can "bite" into the card, which I've seen once, but I think is pretty rare. BVG has neither the "float" or "bite" issue, so in a way, you can say it's the best here. In addition, BVG has the ability to holder many cards that both PSA and SGC find are too fragile for their holders. I've used this numerous times. In summary, I think there's a place for all three TPG's, and I hope they all stay around for a while.

Theoldprofessor
05-16-2012, 06:46 AM
I use all three, but more of my cards are in PSA. As mentioned above, all three are accurate in determining authenticity of cards and alterations ...

WHAT??!! Ask the guy whose Plank was butchered before being slabbed as "Mr. X" by PSA at a grade of 4 if he thinks all three are "accurate ... in determining alterations." Bet he'd say no. In fact, I know he would.

travrosty
05-16-2012, 07:02 AM
WHAT??!! Ask the guy whose Plank was butchered before being slabbed as "Mr. X" by PSA at a grade of 4 if he thinks all three are "accurate ... in determining alterations." Bet he'd say no. In fact, I know he would.

agreed

Donscards
05-16-2012, 08:50 AM
I use both---but prefer SGC for the vintage--pre 1910---especially Mayo's---I feel SGC is more acurate right now on the grading---PSA is being extremely tough on cards right now( I feel they do not want to give the 8's and 9's to the vintage--due to the registry and the more they give the higher grades--the values come down which they dont want)---I am holding back on PSA as to submitting at this time--maybe PSA will come back to earth. Don

Pup6913
05-16-2012, 09:03 AM

+1

glynparson
05-16-2012, 01:24 PM
+2

g_vezina_c55
05-16-2012, 01:50 PM
+3
i can t choose between psa or sgc i love both holder and both company.

I think sgc are perhaps better than psa for constant grade... and i love the black recess in the holder:)

travrosty
05-16-2012, 01:54 PM
I use both---but prefer SGC for the vintage--pre 1910---especially Mayo's---I feel SGC is more acurate right now on the grading---PSA is being extremely tough on cards right now( I feel they do not want to give the 8's and 9's to the vintage--due to the registry and the more they give the higher grades--the values come down which they dont want)---I am holding back on PSA as to submitting at this time--maybe PSA will come back to earth. Don

unless you are a celebrity or athlete, then they put your name on the label.

zljones
05-16-2012, 01:59 PM

I agree by far. All these battles over who is better, but they all have their upsides and downsides. These graders at these companies are human so they are bound to make some human errors.

Although if I was to submit I would go with PSA for postwar, BVG for Modern or PSA, and SGC for prewar.

Northviewcats
05-16-2012, 03:10 PM
I use both PSA & SGC. For my T206 and Cuban cards I like SGC. For post war I use PSA. I do think that PSA cards have a better resale value on eBay, but I really like the way cards look against the black background of the SGC holders. The bottom line is I just like to have the holders look the same when viewing them. Recently, I've started an SGC graded Hall of Fame collection with mostly higher grade postwar cards.

Both companies give good service and are easy to deal with.

Best regards,

Joe

rainier2004
05-17-2012, 04:20 AM
I am surprised as folks that endorse TPG's, not trying to sound offensive here, just surprised. Supporters (and critics) of these companies STILL point out the fact that these companies have their own agenda ie registry, mass submissions, the owners name on the submissions, etc. and they are still heavily supported. I cant imagine a judge of law also being sub-contracted by someone on trial; or anyone else that is making a judgement call working for one of the sides and still calling them unbias and "fair"...simply too many agendas that conflict with their primary mission.

marktheshark83
05-17-2012, 07:26 AM
sgc all the way for my t206 cards

Leon
05-17-2012, 08:43 AM
I am surprised as folks that endorse TPG's, not trying to sound offensive here, just surprised. Supporters (and critics) of these companies STILL point out the fact that these companies have their own agenda ie registry, mass submissions, the owners name on the submissions, etc. and they are still heavily supported. I cant imagine a judge of law also being sub-contracted by someone on trial; or anyone else that is making a judgement call working for one of the sides and still calling them unbias and "fair"...simply too many agendas that conflict with their primary mission.

For-profit companies all have an agenda. It's to make profit. How they get there is what we discuss. As long as they do a fair, honest job all is good. I have spoken with the heads of all 3 of the grading companies we are talking about and all 3 of them are honest imo.....They all admit they and their companies are human and make mistakes. I honestly believe all of them care about the hobby too. (not just as a business but as, and for, collectors too)

ullmandds
05-17-2012, 09:00 AM
The only time I send PSA my biz-ness is when I want a card over-graded! Not accurately graded...over-graded!

glchen
05-17-2012, 01:24 PM

They have an agenda to make a profit, but TPG's are still an objective third party between the seller and buyer of cards. It's much worse when the seller of a raw card is giving their own grading system and saying that this card is EX even with paper loss, creases and writing on the card. In that analogy, it's like the judge for your trial is the same person who accused you of the crime. (or think Roger Goodell deciding the appeals of the same punishments he just carried out).

rainier2004
05-17-2012, 02:16 PM
They have an agenda to make a profit, but TPG's are still an objective third party between the seller and buyer of cards. It's much worse when the seller of a raw card is giving their own grading system and saying that this card is EX even with paper loss, creases and writing on the card. In that analogy, it's like the judge for your trial is the same person who accused you of the crime. (or think Roger Goodell deciding the appeals of the same punishments he just carried out).

I see your point here and Im not questioning honesty or their right to make a profit. What I am questioning is why it seems to be relatively known that:

1) Dealers with larger submissions get higher overall grades
2) They grade to "protect" the registry and are reluctant to give high grades at times as that will affect the price of the market
3) Their relative attitude towards crossing over cards left in other TPG case (Sgc seems to be excluded here)
4) Sometimes cards, t206 wags/plank/etc, tend to be on their own grading scale

I have experienced some horrible mistakes including tpg 4's and 5's that I bust open and have rips, paper loss, creases and other blemishes that should have made them a 1 but their tpg case does a wondeful job of hiding those flaws in scans. For $15, or whatever the price, they just do a better job in my opinion and if that dictates the graders slow down, than hire more...mistakes would cost me my job.

Ive never sent a card in and never will but Id like to think everyone in the industry in honest...but thats just stupid hoping. None of the factors I mentioned should be relative in a cards grade in any manner. Since I have no experience in the matter I can only go by what others say and there's folks in this post that admit to these doings as well and thats what surprises me. Raw guys can do the same thing as well, but they arent paid for their opinions. Blast away...